Section 8 boat auctions

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

I don't know about boat building but I would suggest most oak used for furniture and house building is sourced from France, we have almost no managed Oak plantations in the UK

For an abundant supply of British hard and softwoods at a very reasonable price, properly seasoned, it is well worth following the link below. I'm just working my way through 30 cu ft of their oak and a fair ruck of larch. Both excellent quality. And, yes, they can arrange delivery. They're also a pleasure to deal with and I actually enjoyed parting with a fair wodge of cash!

Scottish Wood suppliers of sustainable Scottish oak, larch ...
www.scottishwood.co.uk/

Scottish Wood, suppliers of native hardwood timbers, beautiful timber with character and heritage, Scottish oak, elm, ash, beech, yew, sycamore, larch, kiln dried ...1 Google review · Write a review

Inzievar, Dunfermline KY12 8HB

01383 851328

I wonder what Larch is like as planking timber, or even tanalised 'wood'. I think that most of the oak sold for flooring comes from France and yes, they really do have a lot of it, some of the houses along the canals have immense amounts of winter firewood.

On the subject of suitable timber, does anyone ever try to source it from here in France? There is so much oak grown here that it is a popular firewood. You see good straight oak, ash, hornbeam etc growing in just about every hedge of woodland here. Astonishingly, forestry is the second largest employer in the Limousin.

i know a sawmill that uses french oak - problem is i have seen the outer skin with massive woodworm in apparantly the eggs can be laid in the oak and stay there for 50 yrs and only hatch when sawn -

Most old French properties with Oak beams have/had these large worms. I cannot remember the name for them but I would not like them in this country if they are not allready resident.

i have seen hundreds in imported oak from france the offcuts are sold as firewood - very bad they munch massive holes - horrable creatures alomst as wide as a pencil.

Cool ta for that, everydays a school day

I ripped down a old Oak beam in France and most of the soft wood had been eaten away with only one or 2 visable holes on the outside the heartwood was untouched obviously too tough to nosh away. I'm supprised French houses and barns are still standing and sound.

I wonder what Larch is like as planking timber, or even tanalised 'wood'. I think that most of the oak sold for flooring comes from France and yes, they really do have a lot of it, some of the houses along the canals have immense amounts of winter firewood.

The larch from this sawmill is very much in demand amongst local boatbuilders while I'm machining it into T&G for a range of planking uses.

At the risk of teaching my proverbial Grandmother there are 3 types of larch around: European; Japanese and a hybrid of these two. A lot of larch grown/for sale is the hybrid variety combining the speed of growth of the Japanese with the quality of the European.

However, fast growth with its large, open growth rings, is in conflict with durability and strength. So I would go to any lengths to source pure European (as do wooden boatbuilders) and this sawmill is justifiably proud of its Scottish, European larch.

The larch from this sawmill is very much in demand amongst local boatbuilders while I'm machining it into T&G for a range of planking uses.

At the risk of teaching my proverbial Grandmother there are 3 types of larch around: European; Japanese and a hybrid of these two. A lot of larch grown/for sale is the hybrid variety combining the speed of growth of the Japanese with the quality of the European.

However, fast growth with its large, open growth rings, is in conflict with durability and strength. So I would go to any lengths to source pure European (as do wooden boatbuilders) and this sawmill is justifiably proud of its Scottish, European larch.

Larch was also sometimes used for narrow boat planking, mainly for Joey boats I believe.

I suspect it's more durable in salt water than fresh, though.

Tim