Hillmorton delays

c c

Featured Posts

The cill on one of the pair of bottom locks has moved and despite a CRT army, it could not be repaired today so we are reduced to single lock only, causing the first queue of the season. It may take some time to put right.

The stoppage notice says damaged cill on top lock, and that only the towpath side locks are open to manage traffic. We went down on Friday it was chaos bellow the locks then, so should be fun with only one side in use.

When one lock of a pair is closed for repair, CRT always close one of each of the other two pairs to stop boats jamming up in the pounds. Volunteer Lock Keepers were there bright and early this morning.

Still only one side open but it swaps over. Top and bottom locks use the towpath side while middle lock used offside. Unused locks have yellow tape on them. And just to show they have a sense of humour, or not a clue, the working lock on the middle pair has a sign on the beam saying please use other lock - which is of course taped closed.

I came up at around 09:00 with no problem but there were 4 boats waiting to come down.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on 24/04/2015:

Work will be starting today, Friday 24th April to repair the damaged cill on Lock 3, this will take approx. 7-10 days.

We will then commence work from Tuesday 5th May to Lock 2 to complete emergency repairs due to gate damage.

The navigation restriction will change on Tuesday 5th May from the off side locks to the towpath side, Locks 2, 4 and 6 to allow us to complete the repair on Lock 2, this repair will take approx. 7-10 days.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand why this causes chaos.

I passed through last September when one of the top locks was drained and the corresponding other two were taped off. Again there were queues, confusion, boats not knowing where to go etc. etc.

Why?

It's no different to turning up at a rise of three single locks (single as in not doubled up single locks) any where in the country.

However at Hillmorton it seems to create untold confusion!

I totally agree with you zenataomm. This flight of locks is the one I dread doing, to the point where now I try and plan so we go up or down early in the morning. It is chaos every time we have done this flight during popular cruising times. Give me the Wigan Flight, Tardebigge anytime altho Hatton is stretching it a bit!

Val

I came up a week ago.

The bottom lock has been fixed, but they have decided to fix the leaky middle lock whilst all the kit is here.

The volocky at the bottom told me to use both the right locks going up.

Luckily I stayed mid channel in the gale force winds as the middle left one was the one in use.

Edited by matty40s

I came up a week ago.

The bottom lock has been fixed, but they have decided to fix the leaky middle lock whilst all the kit is here.

The volocky at the bottom told me to use both the right locks going up.

Luckily I stayed mid channel in the gale force winds as the middle left one was the one in use.

Yep. Lemontoes and I were told the same thing. I wonder if it was the same fella.

He was, of course, wrong

Just walked up there as we are tied at the bottom today. Still working on 2, the towpath side bottom. Offside for the lower two locks, towpath side for the top. We shall set off at half seven tomorrow, I expect.

Amazingly few boats tied above, where is everybody?

Went through at beginning of week, few boats then including Timothy West and Pru Scales in hire boat from Banbury, twas bit challenging since hold up as they went down turned round and came straight back up.