Don't want to get a licence? Here's a solution.

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Smart!

I wonder though if they may get a large bill for a connection charge if they intend to dig and opening to the canal and float the boat that way. I guess you could just crane it in but why dig the whole around the boat if you were going to do that?

Mind you if you were quick about it perhaps no one would notice?

He's already done it.

He dug the trench floated the boat in and has now backfilled it.

Maybe smile.png but look at the fresh backfill. And missing reeds.

Edited by mark99

Yep that was how it was done, went past it and it was still on its permanent mooring (canal offside been there for years). week later we went the other way and it was all done.

Obvious in the daylight how it was done, I wonder if C&RT know, hope they have plugged the gap well.

I don't get it. Why exactly would anybody do this?

I guess to avoid any mooring, Licence costs and use the boat as a home rented or otherwise.

A boat can be like a prepackaged modular home.

Edited by mark99

In that case I would have thought it would make more sense to drag it out of the water and leave it on terra firma?

Maybe - however JCB's or tracked 8 tonne 360's are not uncommon on farms. Or perhaps he needs a pool of water to cool power generation equipment. ;)

Edited by mark99

Now eligible for council tax and comes under local planning regulations, if it is lived in.

In theory, yes. But in practice, the legal position may be much the same as a typical London garden shed arrangement. If there's a house on the land and the owner claims that any resident(s) actually live in that, it might be hard to prove otherwise, and if there are no close neighbours feeling annoyed by the boat and raising an objection, it may stay under the planners' radar.

A potential problem for the owner would be if the land has a covenant against storing boats on it; I don't know how likely that would be on a rural property alongside a canal, but taking a wild guess I'd think it's unlikely.

Now eligible for council tax and comes under local planning regulations, if it is lived in.

Constructing a canal arm constitutes "development" and requires planning permission anyway, regardless of whether it contains a boat or whether that boat is used residentially.

Similar, but much larger scale set up in Devon: http://www.blagdonwater.com/

three widebeams for holiday let on a lake

Interesting concept. Obviously popular as they don't have many dates left for the summer months anyway.

We stayed in a similar set up in Victoria Quays many years back. The boats are basically used as a hotel room. Made a pleasant change.

http://www.houseboathotels.com/

They have changed the boats since we stayed with them. From memory the boat we stayed on was a 40ft Springer named Ruby. We saw her not all that long ago on the Aire and Calder having some work carried out by her new owner at the boatyard in Knottingley.

How ever he has done it, its cool, not caused any harm to any one, aslong as he did it properly and backfilled properly.

Lets not all get `curtain twitchin` now and bring this person trouble..