Pre. CC1

Ricco1

Featured Posts

I still find this whole constant cruiser thing a complete mystery.

How on earth can drifting up and down a 20 mile stretch of canal be classed as cruising, it's a Sunday trip out with family and friends. I could easily do 20 miles a year cutting my lawn.

Why doesn't CRT divide the entire canal system into, say, 10 mile zones which can only be visited once a year. Up to 2 zones can be visited twice in a year with a minimum of 6 months between the 2 visits. It wouldn't be too difficult to control this by using the same technology as parking zones in London , registering by phone, text or email.

I take it you do not like boaters without a home mooring. Just out of interest with your crackpot idea what are you trying to achieve?

How on earth can drifting up and down a 20 mile stretch of canal be classed as cruising, it's a Sunday trip out with family and friends. I could easily do 20 miles a year cutting my lawn.

Why doesn't CRT divide the entire canal system into, say, 10 mile zones which can only be visited once a year. Up to 2 zones can be visited twice in a year with a minimum of 6 months between the 2 visits. It wouldn't be too difficult to control this by using the same technology as parking zones in London , registering by phone, text or email.

Amazing what can be done with a hover mower.

Not sure I want to do 20 miles on a boat of a sunday. No wonder so many are moaning about speeding.

I guess cruising means different things to different people. Many people adopt a 'live and let live' philosophy. You clearly don't, as is your right. Just think though, if such draconian lawmaking with following restrictions, surveilance and enforcement were applied to all aspects of life, how happy would you be? China anyone?

I've no email on the boat and half the time no phone signal either. And I have favourite spots I want to visit. Would take all the fun out of boating, that's for sure!

1) I have nothing against boaters with no moorings except when I go on holiday or for a weekend cruise and find that there is nowhere to moor, the last time I came through London back to my home mooring in Roydon I had to do 2 14 hour days because there was just nowhere to stop

2) 20 miles in a day is a leisurely 8 hour cruise as long as there are not miles of non home mooring boats parked up (assuming lock free)

3) my crackpot idea in no worse than that put forward by CRT

4) My aim would be to make the waterways available for everybody and not just the few

I guess cruising means different things to different people. Many people adopt a 'live and let live' philosophy. You clearly don't, as is your right. Just think though, if such draconian lawmaking with following restrictions, surveilance and enforcement were applied to all aspects of life, how happy would you be? China anyone?

Hi Ricco

I was in your situation with an elderly parent about 4 years ago. I know it was BW then but in effect its the same even the same peeps work there. I foned their office in Leeds and told them of my predicement and they not only told me some good spots to moor with access to roads for traveling to see Dad they even found me a berth in what was realy a full marina and told me to stay as long a sI needed. Yes of course they charged me for the marina but I was happy to pay and they had already told me being on the towpath was not a problem in the curcumstances.

Just talk to them and dont listen to hobby boaters.

Tim

Should this new draconian rule be applied to boaters with a home mooring, or do you feel that only continuous cruisers should be penalised in this way?.

Last year we spent a fair while cruising (and trading) in the midlands and this entailed numerous visits to central Birmingham, and 4 visits to Banbury.

We also went to Cambridge. I enjoyed last year a lot and want to carry on with this sort of cruising pattern.

I've also spent the last 6 weeks just going up and down the same 15 mile long pound on the K&A, but in a few weeks I will be in Liverpool!

What is wrong with this style of CCing?

............Dave.

How do you mow your lawn with a boat ?

Just to say, for taking pictures, any old digi cam will do. I would think you could pick something up fo a quid on ebay.

Take a pic next to something obivous for the location and hold a copy of the days paper up in the shot. If you can be arsed to go to this much effort to prove your innocence of course!!

Should this new draconian rule be applied to boaters with a home mooring, or do you feel that only continuous cruisers should be penalised in this way?.

Last year we spent a fair while cruising (and trading) in the midlands and this entailed numerous visits to central Birmingham, and 4 visits to Banbury.

We also went to Cambridge. I enjoyed last year a lot and want to carry on with this sort of cruising pattern.

I've also spent the last 6 weeks just going up and down the same 15 mile long pound on the K&A, but in a few weeks I will be in Liverpool!

What is wrong with this style of CCing?

............Dave.

Nothing wrong with that at all Dave..........you are not extracting the urine at all.

Tim

1) I have nothing against boaters with no moorings except when I go on holiday or for a weekend cruise and find that there is nowhere to moor, the last time I came through London back to my home mooring in Roydon I had to do 2 14 hour days because there was just nowhere to stop

2) 20 miles in a day is a leisurely 8 hour cruise as long as there are not miles of non home mooring boats parked up (assuming lock free)

4) My aim would be to make the waterways available for everybody and not just the few

You'd have to be careful if you decided to go out for longer than a weekend though. Unless your marina is on a 'ring' you might have to cover the same water on your way back eh? I guess that would be OK for you, you could cruise for 24 hours a day to ensure you don't infringe the new rules that would prevent you stopping to moor.

Maybe that's OK, perhaps you have a chip on your shoulder about anyone who goes out cruising for more than 2 weeks as well?

And just think, if all the continuous cruisers are moving at breakneck speed around the country, it won't make a jot of difference to whether you can moor, or not, in your preferred spots. Maybe boats that have vacated 'your' spots will be quickly replaced by other cruising boats, innit?

Just to say, for taking pictures, any old digi cam will do. I would think you could pick something up fo a quid on ebay.

Take a pic next to something obivous for the location and hold a copy of the days paper up in the shot. If you can be arsed to go to this much effort to prove your innocence of course!!

Cheers for that. I wouldn't let this situation escalate to the point where my boat is at risk. I'll compromise as necessary but taking pictures to prove my innocence is a step too far for me. This notion is an aberration, an outrage, in a country where you are supposedly innocent until proven guilty.

You'd have to be careful if you decided to go out for longer than a weekend though. Unless your marina is on a 'ring' you might have to cover the same water on your way back eh? I guess that would be OK for you, you could cruise for 24 hours a day to ensure you don't infringe the new rules that would prevent you stopping to moor.

Maybe that's OK, perhaps you have a chip on your shoulder about anyone who goes out cruising for more than 2 weeks as well?

And just think, if all the continuous cruisers are moving at breakneck speed around the country, it won't make a jot of difference to whether you can moor, or not, in your preferred spots. Maybe boats that have vacated 'your' spots will be quickly replaced by other cruising boats, innit?

I don't quite think you have a grasp on all this!

What rules are you now indulging in?

In my opinion, its a sad man that has a go at someone else because he himself has been silly enough to think that rules don't matter to him!. And now you have been caught your trying to deflect it onto others!

Get a life and face up!

There are others that are trying to help you, lord knows why!

Nipper

Edited by nipper

I don't quite think you have a grasp on all this!

What rules are you now indulging in?

In my opinion, its a sad man that has a go at someone else because he himself has been silly enough to think that rules don't matter to him!. And now you have been caught your trying to deflect it onto others!

Get a life and face up!

There are others that are trying to help you, lord knows why!

Nipper

Yes, I really appreciate the help and advice given to me on here.

The suggestion to encourage liveaboards to charge about all over the country was out of context with the topic, it was off topic. Therefore I'm entitled to my opinion as are you, and everyone else.

Yes, I really appreciate the help and advice given to me on here.

The suggestion to encourage liveaboards to charge about all over the country was out of context with the topic, it was off topic. Therefore I'm entitled to my opinion as are you, and everyone else.

Fair play!

Nipper

IMHO....what a complete load of pigs wallow!

1) I have no idea what type of boat you cruise in or what canals you cruise, but I can guarantee you we don't cover 20 miles a day on either the GU or K&A and nor would I find it a relaxing enjoyable cruise. 12 - 15 locks are pretty much my limit for a days cruise unless it's a flight, I actually prefer a 6 - 10 lock day in reality. Now in some sections that may be 3 miles and in others it might be 10 or 12

2) One of the attractions for us to move onto the boat was to live off grid and be as much devoid of the "big brother watching" world we were living in. The thought of having to go through "check point Charlie" every time we move appalls me.

3) Have a think about what your suggesting. Not all of us have access to cruising rings and therefore once we've reached the end of the canal or gone as far as is navigable to us we need to turn around and cruise back over the route we've just taken. As in; we can start the GU at Brentford, cruise up to Warwick but then have to turn around and head back south again. Which would be covering all the same territory we had just done. But according to your "system" (for lack of a more appropriate term) we couldn't do it.

More utter prejudice pigs wallow (IMHO)

1) I don't profess to have any experience of the River Lee, but it must either be one Very popular river or have very few mooring spots to have to travel 2 x 14 hour days without finding moorings. Even the Thames in the height of season isn't that bad. Out of 5 weeks on the Thames last "summer" there was only one evening we really struggled to find a mooring. Maybe you just have really bad luck - or are too picky

2) So none of the boats with home moorings which are also out for the weekend who moored up before you've finished your 20 mile leisurely cruise are actually in your way? It's just us ccer's who are causing you an issue?

BTW - How do you actually tell if a boat has a home mooring or not by looking at it? I've figured out some of the tell tale signs if it's a live a board or not, but would love to know you system for identifying what "type of license" (I know not the correct terminology) they have. Please feel free to share this with the rest of us.

3) I beg to differ!

4) Who are the "few" which the waterways are only currently available to in your opinion?

End of the day - Ricco has held his hand up and said he's made a mistake and is now trying to correct it. Fair play to him I say.

He's asked the forum for their advice & how best to proceed, I simply find your post a "complete mystery" as to how you would see this as helping him.

Ricco - I'm firmly in the group of "start communicating with CRT" give them the info about your parents health and your proposed cruising plans, ask for written confirmation from them that they are happy that it meets or exceeds their expectations. You'll get a reply and can react accordingly. Good Luck hug.gif

ETA - got that slightly wrong :) had to change it from Bazza to Ricco ...sorry guys, but you get the gist of what I'm saying and who it was meant for ninja.gif

Edited by Bettie Boo

Why?

"reasonable in the circumstances" in the 1995 act is due to canal flooded or stoppages not personnel problems

Really?

Can you provide the link that provides evidence to support this please. Or as an alternative belt up and stop trying to worry the original poster. Unless you work at the Trust within the enforcement team your comment is worthless.

"reasonable in the circumstances" in the 1995 act is due to canal flooded or stoppages not personnel problems

A couple on the Lancaster canal were allowed to stay in one spot for three months because she was diagnosed with cancer. I'm happy to report we met them later and she was in remission.

Fortunately BW/CRT aren't as blinkered as you - at least they weren't then.

Yep let's suck the joy out of boating. Wonderful.

Thanks for that piece of information I never knew that, that's what I like about this forum you learn something new every day. As I am one of those boring people that likes to ensure the information I get is backed up could you just provide me with a link to the part of the 1995 Act that says that. Thank you in advance

Edited by cotswoldsman
  • Greenie 1