Alfie down?? hope Terry is ok

matty40s

Featured Posts

Now THAT is the best bit of posting that I've seen today!

Seems like the right attitude to me, in 3 months time sitting by the boat in the sunshine hopefully you will be able to reflect. In the mean time keep pushing forward, best of luck.

Kinda puts some of the minor whinges on this forum into perspective. Terry - you've had the ultimate baptism of fire (and water) into the world of boating. Everything will seem so easy and uneventful from now on. Things will dry out, your boat will take you on adventures you can't even imagine. A wet boat is far, far better than no boat at all.

Keep smiling!

Terry,

I hope things are coming together for you now, so this might be a bit late, but if you have any electrical or electronic gear that's suffering from ingress it might still be worth a try.

Get the kit as dry and clean as you can, perhaps even reflooding it with distilled water, and then place it in an airtight container with a good amount of dried rice. Seal it and leave it for a couple of days and often it will be ok once the rice has absorbed the remaining moisture.

I've seen this work with mobile phones, hand-held radios and gauges, but it may be worth a try with anything else particularly if it would otherwise be written off.

Best wishes.

Terry,

I hope things are coming together for you now, so this might be a bit late, but if you have any electrical or electronic gear that's suffering from ingress it might still be worth a try.

Get the kit as dry and clean as you can, perhaps even reflooding it with distilled water, and then place it in an airtight container with a good amount of dried rice. Seal it and leave it for a couple of days and often it will be ok once the rice has absorbed the remaining moisture.

I've seen this work with mobile phones, hand-held radios and gauges, but it may be worth a try with anything else particularly if it would otherwise be written off.

Best wishes.

I did this with a mobile phone, worked a treat.

Got to be worth a try.

Terry,

Best wishes.

Silica gel is much better than rice for removing moisture. Self-indicating silica gel is best because you can see if it is active.

OK all you very very kind chaps and chapesses out there. This is a shout out for some tangible help if possible. My inverter and battery charger has taken one for the team. While I know these things are not cheap and I am able to pay for them, if anyone has any of the above gathering dust I would like to make a bid.

My engine is running as well as ever, ( thank you P and S) I need a 70/80 amp alternator, standard LR type.and would like to employ the services of a recommended

reasonable charging Electrician in the Hertford/Lee/Stort area.

The boat has suffered some damp, but the humidifier will stay in for as long as I can keep it there. I need to get the boat back here for next weekend if practical.

At the moment without 240v there are some extras I would like some advice and ideas please. A 12v 26" + TV or What else is there.? Also a DVD player again 12v

A fridge is going to be needed or do I go down the 12v route with that too , advice again please. Apart from the stated items, I will be ready to cruise as soon as it is dry enough to sleep on. Alfie is on the up. boat.gifclapping.gif

• Greenie 1

It could be an ideal time to go 12v everything Terry. This would not only save you buying an inverter, but also is less power hungry.

You may need to upgrade some cabling if you go the 12v route, but you need to do this anyway yo get your tunnel light rewired.

Freaky Friday at midland swindlers is the weekend after Easter (20% off).

Mark off nb Willawaw is in that area, good boat electrician.

If you have the guys from P&S on the case you are in good hands.

I had both John and Ralph help me out with various issues last year and each time they went above and beyond what I would have expected and have since experienced elsewhere.

Very sad for you. Looks like things are going better now though. I second the rice thing but don't switch on for a few weeks and almost bake it with heat too. It has worked for me.

A word of caution here; you need to be aware of just what temperature you can safely warm your gadgets up to, and allow for some margin of error. It's reasonable to expect that they'll be designed to cope with hot weather in the warmer parts of the world, so up to about 45C, and of course a computer when in use can be much warmer than the room it's in, but it's only going to work afterwards if the most vulnerable component (this used to be wax capacitors but do they still use them?) is OK.

So warmth is certainly good for drying things out, but don't get reckless...

Only just seen this, and my stomach turned over when I read the thread title, as I have been following your journey into boat ownership with interest.

So glad you are ok, and that you are keeping positive and getting Alfie back into shape.

No real practical help to offer, I'm afraid, but will add mine to all the helpful vibes coming your way.

Seconded. 240Vac is inherently not very boaty and best avoided IMO.

MtB

Thirded. We have gradually moved most things to 12V, after thinking 240V was the way to go.

Glad things are looking up for you, Terry.

Edited by Guest

OK all you very very kind chaps and chapesses out there. This is a shout out for some tangible help if possible. My inverter and battery charger has taken one for the team. While I know these things are not cheap and I am able to pay for them, if anyone has any of the above gathering dust I would like to make a bid.

My engine is running as well as ever, ( thank you P and S) I need a 70/80 amp alternator, standard LR type.and would like to employ the services of a recommended

reasonable charging Electrician in the Hertford/Lee/Stort area.

The boat has suffered some damp, but the humidifier will stay in for as long as I can keep it there. I need to get the boat back here for next weekend if practical.

At the moment without 240v there are some extras I would like some advice and ideas please. A 12v 26" + TV or What else is there.? Also a DVD player again 12v

A fridge is going to be needed or do I go down the 12v route with that too , advice again please. Apart from the stated items, I will be ready to cruise as soon as it is dry enough to sleep on. Alfie is on the up. boat.gifclapping.gif

PM sent

Rick

• 1 month later...

Passed Alfie today and all is looking well from the outside. You just can't help but smile when you see that paint job :clapping:

Hells teeth, when I saw the title my immediate thought was 'gawd not again' not realising it was the old thread you'd bumped.

Edited by MJG

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

just thought I would make an appearance to update you on Alfie. (duplicated in other post) I've decided to fit a 400Watt Solar system with a MPPT controller, that should look after my electrickery. Based of course on your expert help have ditched the coffee machine and washing machine, replaced with Costa at the local garage and the local Landerette in Ware. Great so far. My water heating via the calorifier was indeed an air lock, sorted. But now I dont need to run the engine at all ( at this time of year )

So am now looking to have a Morco/Paloma type fitted to supply hot water. I dont have a back boiler so am guessing this has to be the best way forward, (discuss)

Also I would like to watch a bit of TV sometimes and was wondering (read window shopping) for a 12v TV with DVD FreeView as big as they come, at least a high +20" any reccomendations.

As for my life aboard Alfie, things are going swimmingly (pun intended)clapping.gif but being warm with the nice sunny days is easy, I will adjust as nec my need for heat later.

I love being on the boat, but do wish I had a cruiser deck to really make the most of things. Once I have really settled in and found a suitable storage for my pedal bike, maybe my cratch could offer more sit down space later.

On a more serious note, I have had my fill of the local marina, who have pi**ed me off by ripping me off. So need to find a decent reliable Marine Engineer local to Hertford. Any help would be rewarded with a greenie. Of Course.

Happy days to you all.