Tim and Pru New series

STIG

Featured Posts

And - we didn't see him hit anything.

On the other hand watching him trying to get in to tie up was cringe making. Obviously they have been boating for a long time and are very set in their ways, and it has never occured to them to throw a bight of line over a bollard if Pru was not able to get off.

They clearly love boating, but the actual art of boating is certainly not their forte.

Edited by Tam & Di

On the other hand watching him trying to get in to tie up was cringe making. Obviously they have been boating for a long time and are very set in their ways, and it has never occured to them to throw a bight of line over a bollard if Pru was not able to get off.

They clearly love boating, but the actual art of boating is certainly not their forte.

It did seem a bit strange that the pontoon (on which they were having difficulty) was only about half the length of the boat, yet, when they had moored, it had suddenly become a huge length and even had another boat moored on it.

Tim and Pru are classic boaters, you see identical behavior all the time throughout the waterways. Him making all the decisions, him pompously steering all the time and won't relinquish the helm, her up front grasping windlass and ropes end, ready to leap out to do locks and to be honest almost being bullied really. I'm sure Pru could steer the boat much better than Tim if he'd let her. I remember their first boating film when they were the first boat to negotiate the K&A when it first reopened, Tim was very bombastic and impatient, especially with her, mind you she could hold her own quite well then and did occasionally answer back.

Anyone else enjoy last night's episode? Scotland looks nicer than i expected it to be but might struggle with the lack of locks and them all being manned.

However, they dropped a huge hint at doing another series!

yes - enjoyed it a lot and added it to our 'to hire' on list, especially to do the wheel, that is the work of genius.

Tim and Pru are classic boaters, you see identical behavior all the time throughout the waterways. Him making all the decisions, him pompously steering all the time and won't relinquish the helm, her up front grasping windlass and ropes end, ready to leap out to do locks and to be honest almost being bullied really. I'm sure Pru could steer the boat much better than Tim if he'd let her. I remember their first boating film when they were the first boat to negotiate the K&A when it first reopened, Tim was very bombastic and impatient, especially with her, mind you she could hold her own quite well then and did occasionally answer back.

If im not mistaken, Pru did occasionally captain the tiller at some points in the first season, but made it clear she lacked confidence and is quite happy to let Tim do it. You can see this in evidence in the Canal du Midi episode where she got herself in a muddle after only a few seconds at the wheel.

Lest we forget that these guys are in the 80's (in fact Pru is 2 years older than Tim) and so their limitations with ability and patience is a little lacking. But they clearly don't hold grduges long as they can be seen smiling again shortly after.

It did seem a bit strange that the pontoon (on which they were having difficulty) was only about half the length of the boat, yet, when they had moored, it had suddenly become a huge length and even had another boat moored on it.

The magic of television. My wife commented as to why Pru wore the same clothes all the time, which my assumption would be so it is less obvious when they use shots out of order.

If im not mistaken, Pru did occasionally captain the tiller at some points in the first season, but made it clear she lacked confidence and is quite happy to let Tim do it. You can see this in evidence in the Canal du Midi episode where she got herself in a muddle after only a few seconds at the wheel.

Lest we forget that these guys are in the 80's (in fact Pru is 2 years older than Tim) and so their limitations with ability and patience is a little lacking. But they clearly don't hold grduges long as they can be seen smiling again shortly after.

... and lets be honest which narrow boat crewing couple don't get a bit 'narcky' with each other from time to time when one or the other cocks up. I know me and Jan do from time to time so all I see is an un-sanitised program about a genuine relationship that clearly has stood the test of time.

Any couple that doesn't have the occasional spat whilst boating must be exceptionally rare I would say.

... and lets be honest which narrow boat crewing couple don't get a bit 'narcky' with each other from time to time when one or the other cocks up. I know me and Jan do from time to time so all I see is an un-sanitised program about a genuine relationship that clearly has stood the test of time.

Any couple that doesn't have the occasional spat whilst boating must be exceptionally rare I would say.

And this is the classic example... I wonder if they made up afterwards? tongue.png

Nice boat, awful woman.

Edited by blackrose

And this is the classic example... I wonder if they made up afterwards? tongue.png

Nice boat, awful woman.

Well - an extreme example I think, but yes a very nice boat (going too fast too, but making very little wash in the process.)

Edited by MJG

Well - an extreme example I think, but yes a very nice boat (going too fast too)

On the G&S you can more or less go as fast as you want. That hull shape won't cause too much turbulence anyway.

Edit: Sorry I read it as they were near Sharpness, then I saw the boat's name. Perhaps they could slow down a bit.

Wow what on earth are they arguing about?

He's been married 4 times...

Edited by blackrose

On the G&S you can more or less go as fast as you want. That hull shape won't cause too much turbulence anyway.

He's been married 4 times...

However I think he said 'twice' in response so they clearly don't know each other very well, and certainly not as well as Tim and Prue.

Edited by MJG

However I think he said 'twice' in response so they clearly don't know each other very well, and certainly not as well as Tim and Prue.

When I see these blokes married to unattractive, aggressive, middle-aged women, I can't help wondering what the point is and the question that keeps popping into my head is "where's the good bit?"

When I see these blokes married to unattractive, aggressive, middle-aged women, I can't help wondering what the point is and the question that keeps popping into my head is "where's the good bit?"

Perhaps the same can be said for the blokes, after all maybe he is such a twat himself only those kind of women can stand him? Got to know the full story to judge

Back to Tim and Prue....I did laugh when he brought the bow in, but it wasn't close enough....as that's happened to me and my OH, and I must admit, I've grumbled under my breath having to reverse the boat, and bring it in closer :)

I love T&P's program, and was really impressed with the Scottish waterways and the Falkirk wheel...amazing......

I enjoyed the program but then I would, wouldn't I? when it was based on my home canals. I felt for Pru when she asked Tim to bring the boat closer at the pontoon (which looked like one of the ones used while you wait for bridge operation). Not being in the first flush of youth and suffering from painful joints if I put pressure on them, I hesitate to step off the boat unless I am fairly confident that I will make it before the boat starts moving out again. Jumping is just not on as I know there will be pain on impact. Fortunately, Iain is very good at bringing the boat in really close and almost stopping but I know it must be aggravating for him when it looks as if all that is needed is a longer step for me to get to dry land. As I said, I felt for Pru at that point! I have mastered lassooing bollards with the rope if we are coming in to moor but if I want to get off (at locks or to walk the dogs) lassooing a bollard is not much use :-)

haggis

Edited by haggis

I have mastered lassooing bollards with the rope if we are coming in to moor but if I want to get off (at locks or to walk the dogs) lassooing a bollard is not much use

Of course it is. You lassoo the bollard, take a quick turn of your line around the tee stud at the fore end to stop it slipping (or make a quick boatman's hitch out of it) and the steerer drives the boat in head gear against that with the tiller over to drive the stern in which brings the whole craft neatly alongside. Then you can sort yourselves out however you need to if you want something a bit more permanent.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

I really enjoy seeing parts of the system I've never seen before, and appreciate the fact that the programme doesn't edit out the 'robust' bits of the relationship. Of course one has to have a huge amount of sympathy and empathy with both of them, and dementia (whether Alzheimers or another form) is hugely challenging for all concerned. However, I do feel (and the OH won't watch the programme for this reason, having dealt with a case of early-to-end- stage dementia in her own family) that Tim is - despite the obvious love and affection, and as Bizzard commented earlier - the occasional and unnecessary bully. He knows that Pru gets nervous and uncertain at times...even doing what, under 'normal' circumstances, are relatively straighforward activities, and her 'condition' - as he keeps calling it - is, sadly, only going to deteriorate.

Long may they both continue to enjoy life on the cut, but there will need to be an increasing number of adjustments and compromises.

Of course it is. You lassoo the bollard, take a quick turn of your line around the tee stud at the fore end to stop it slipping (or make a quick boatman's hitch out of it) and the steerer drives the boat in head gear against that with the tiller over to drive the stern in which brings the whole craft neatly alongside. Then you can sort yourselves out however you need to if you want something a bit more permanent.

Tam

I think we are talking a wee bit at odds here :-) yes, if we are coming in to moor, I would use the rope to lasoo a bollard and do as you suggest but if I am getting off the boat to walk dogs or work a lock then tying the boat up at the bows would mean that the skipper has to come to the front to untie it again after I get off :-) . Also, I tend to get off at bridge holes to walk dogs and there aren't bollards there. OK, I know that you should get off at the back and not the front but with a trad stern and 3 dogs, I think it is safer to get off at the front. Now that we have a boat with lower bows, life is so much easier for me!

haggis

t if I am getting off the boat to walk dogs or work a lock then tying the boat up at the bows would mean that the skipper has to come to the front to untie it again after I get off :-) .

If you mean there is no bollard or if the boat is continuing on its way once you step off, then there is not a lot of point in tying the fore end. I think Tim and Pru were trying to moor though. In fact as she is not as steady on her feet as she used to be I think in Tim's position I would rather she did tie the fore end before getting off, and if it meant I had to go forward to loose it off again, so what? It's not easy getting a replacement wife if anything happened to her trying to jump about when she is not able.

I really enjoy seeing parts of the system I've never seen before, and appreciate the fact that the programme doesn't edit out the 'robust' bits of the relationship. Of course one has to have a huge amount of sympathy and empathy with both of them, and dementia (whether Alzheimers or another form) is hugely challenging for all concerned. However, I do feel (and the OH won't watch the programme for this reason, having dealt with a case of early-to-end- stage dementia in her own family) that Tim is - despite the obvious love and affection, and as Bizzard commented earlier - the occasional and unnecessary bully. He knows that Pru gets nervous and uncertain at times...even doing what, under 'normal' circumstances, are relatively straighforward activities, and her 'condition' - as he keeps calling it - is, sadly, only going to deteriorate.

Long may they both continue to enjoy life on the cut, but there will need to be an increasing number of adjustments and compromises.

Do bear in mind that after a lifetime of being in front of the camera, They know when it is rolling and the sound is on. It is impressive how they play the characters we all are/know to put over typical modern canal holidaying..

If you mean there is no bollard or if the boat is continuing on its way once you step off, then there is not a lot of point in tying the fore end. I think Tim and Pru were trying to moor though. In fact as she is not as steady on her feet as she used to be I think in Tim's position I would rather she did tie the fore end before getting off, and if it meant I had to go forward to loose it off again, so what? It's not easy getting a replacement wife if anything happened to her trying to jump about when she is not able.

Totally agree but, from the piece that they keep showing in the title sequence where she apologises profusely for not untying the rope when he attempts to set off from the lock, he doesn't seem to want to leave the aft deck. In that lock exit cock-up it seems that he even had the rope running back towards him (a vee shape from centre, round the lock-side bollard and back towards him) and he still couldn't/wouldn't/didn't realise that he should have untied. A bit worrying for someone who has the amount of experience that he does.

Roger

I agree that in their position, a lasoo of the cleat would have been the way to go but she was obviously trying to get off which is where I felt sympathetic, knowing just how painful that can be. That was probably not their first attempt at coming along side as presumably they had gone in to let the camera crew etc off before they were asked to reverse and do it all again.

haggis

Totally agree but, from the piece that they keep showing in the title sequence where she apologises profusely for not untying the rope when he attempts to set off from the lock, he doesn't seem to want to leave the aft deck. In that lock exit cock-up it seems that he even had the rope running back towards him (a vee shape from centre, round the lock-side bollard and back towards him) and he still couldn't/wouldn't/didn't realise that he should have untied. A bit worrying for someone who has the amount of experience that he does.

Roger

That has puzzled us too as it looks as if the end of the rope is near him and he could just have flicked it off the bollard. No need for Pru to apologise there, we thought

haggis