Anti Anglo-Welsh Rant

nicknorman

Featured Posts

AW at Bunbury are renowned for dumping their boats three abreast the canal, as you exit the staircase locks going downhill their is a small stretch before the railway bridge and its on an awkward bend, AW continuously block this and it's very tricky to get through at times.

I suppose we should be glad that there are so many hire boats cluttering up the areas round the hire bases as without them paying much higher licence fees than us, we, the private boaters might have to pay more. During the main hiring periods, there will probably only be congestion on change over day but just now with no boats out, they have to put them somewhere.

haggis, feeling in a mellow mood :-)

• Greenie 2

Came across a similar situation at Middlewich junction going north. About a 200yd stretch with just room for one boat to get through. You couldn't see the far end so if another boat came the other way then you were screwed. Thankfully nothing was was. I'm afraid that if someone was in the way then I would have just barged my way through, there is no excuse for being greedy and thinking you own the whole width of the canal even if you are running a business.

I suppose we should be glad that there are so many hire boats cluttering up the areas round the hire bases as without them paying much higher licence fees than us, we, the private boaters might have to pay more. During the main hiring periods, there will probably only be congestion on change over day but just now with no boats out, they have to put them somewhere.

haggis, feeling in a mellow mood :-)

Don't get me wrong, I quite agree that hire boat companies make their contribution. They introduce new folk to boating as well as paying a fair chunk to CRT.

HOWEVER we all have to play by the rules of shared space, hire companies included, and it seems to me that most are only interested in getting the job of keeping their customers paying done, never mind anyone or anything else.

Like anyone else accustomed to behaving badly, they are only likely to mend their ways when their misdeeds are pointed out to them by someone they respect or in authority and unfortunately it seems that CRT are not interested in fulfilling that role.

Don't get me wrong, I quite agree that hire boat companies make their contribution. They introduce new folk to boating as well as paying a fair chunk to CRT.

HOWEVER we all have to play by the rules of shared space, hire companies included, and it seems to me that most are only interested in getting the job of keeping their customers paying done, never mind anyone or anything else.

Like anyone else accustomed to behaving badly, they are only likely to mend their ways when their misdeeds are pointed out to them by someone they respect or in authority and unfortunately it seems that CRT are not interested in fulfilling that role.

It's all about consideration for other users isn't it?

Where are you off to Nick? Is this a long trip?

Sorry - just being nosey :D

I guess I am alone then. I quite enjoy the little navigation challenges that rafted hire boats, fishing matches, boat rallies, dredgers, adrift boats and the like bring. Chugging along at constant speed is one way of boating, a bit of variety adds to the fun for me

Richard

It's all about consideration for other users isn't it?

Where are you off to Nick? Is this a long trip?

Sorry - just being nosey :D

No, just had a week on the boat on my own - mother's 92nd birthday, sorting out LED lighting for my sister and by Wednesday getting cabin fever so took the boat out of the marina to one of our favourite mooring spots below Haywood lock. Although I did finally manage to install the diesel gauge that has been sitting in the cupboard for the past 3 years!

Jeff arrived on Friday evening and we're now on the way back, nightstopping at Fradley, early start tomorrow to get back to the marina before the weather turns really foul. This year I am trying to avoid too much boating in April-June since I recently bought a new (to me) glider and that period is prime soaring season in Scotland so to make the most of the extravagance, our first 2-week trip is not until July. It always rains in July and August in Scotland!

I guess I am alone then. I quite enjoy the little navigation challenges that rafted hire boats, fishing matches, boat rallies, dredgers, adrift boats and the like bring. Chugging along at constant speed is one way of boating, a bit of variety adds to the fun for me

Richard

On the one hand I sort of agree with you, but on the other hand the dominant feeling is that I can't abide selfishness and being inconsiderate. And even if you and I might find it an interesting challenge, should that mean we shouldn't take a stand in support of those who would find it quite difficult and stressing? Edited by nicknorman

I recently ranted about an AW boat on a water point near me. 60' boat on the centre of a 120' space, left there for two days. I took great enjoyment in tramping mud across their deck as I negotiated filling water and getting rid of quite a lot of rubbish while rafted alongside. There were free spots with a good concrete edge that just required staking a few hundred yards away. Ultimate laziness, entirely unforgivable IMO.

I recently ranted about an AW boat on a water point near me. 60' boat on the centre of a 120' space, left there for two days. I took great enjoyment in tramping mud across their deck as I negotiated filling water and getting rid of quite a lot of rubbish while rafted alongside. There were free spots with a good concrete edge that just required staking a few hundred yards away. Ultimate laziness, entirely unforgivable IMO.

But was that a hirer at fault, or the company themselves?

Do I want to be recruited into a campaign about how something that doesn't bother me is unfair to some hypothetical person other than yourself, Nick?

No

Richard

Well I think it is a shame if you are only interested in things that directly affect you, and disinterested in things that affect other people. Isn't that called the "I'm alright jack" syndrome? However, it is of course entirely your choice and there's no need to participate in this thread if you are disinterested in the subject. Edited by nicknorman

Well I think it is a shame if you are only interested in things that directly affect you, and disinterested in things that affect other people. Isn't that called the "I'm alright jack" syndrome? However, it is of course entirely your choice and there's no need to participate in this thread if you are disinterested in the subject.

Errrm, reach Richards post - there is a difference between "bother" and "affect".

Richard has to negotiate the same challenge, he just doesn't mind doing it. It affects him but doesn't bother him.

A general note, not in response to the above - Anglo-Welsh at Bunbury used to be Dartline, and they were also dreadful on turnround day, I used to start from Chas Hardern on Saturday morning and thus get the full fleet loitering. The only time I took issue with them was when they wanted us not to use the two-rise for a while, at which we (politely) suggested their routine needed to adapt to passing traffic. A slightly bigger issue was that they sometimes parked vans in the way of the balance beams on the top gates

I believe the company in question (Ashby boat co.) do though. Though I also seem to recall they ask you to avoid change over days if possible which seems a reasonable enough a request to me.

Stoke Golding is a lovely location but it's not the widest section of the Ashby, so the area around the base is always going to be cramped on change-over days. Add to that the fact that their diesel pump is fiddly to get to even when there aren't other boats about (I seem to remember that if you're headed towards Snarestone you have to moor with your bows in the bridge hole to get near it) and their request sounds not only reasonable but practical.

But was that a hirer at fault, or the company themselves?

This was early February, a mile from Bath narrowboats (and AW outlet) The boat was in storage, as were the other two boats opposite rafted up on a corner partially blocking the entrance to Dundas aquaduct. All three boats had mattresses upended to air, and fridge doors open. All three boats overstayed the alloted time on their VMs. When they finally did move they went full throttle up the cut past moored boats, so much so that their wash burst the bank in one place.

Well I think it is a shame if you are only interested in things that directly affect you, and disinterested in things that affect other people. Isn't that called the "I'm alright jack" syndrome? However, it is of course entirely your choice and there's no need to participate in this thread if you are disinterested in the subject.

Nick, I'm not sure what you want from me. You launched a thread to have a rant - and you have had a rant. I can't join you in your rant - it doesn't bother me enough, not for myself, how it affected you or even less about some hypothetical other person. I just can't get worked up about something I actually enjoy as it allows me to try something tricky to do and reminds me of the kinds of situations MP has shown a picture of.

I can hear you rant - I have read it - I can't offer anything in response other than how it is for me

Richard

Mind you, negotiating a hire fleet moored several abreast is nothing compared with the problems of negotiating past an IWA National Festival. That used to be an absolute nightmare. The last one at Burton on Trent was particularly bad with boats moored on both sides and passing places where the number of boats on one side was reduced to create a slightly wider channel.

haggis

Mind you, negotiating a hire fleet moored several abreast is nothing compared with the problems of negotiating past an IWA National Festival. That used to be an absolute nightmare. The last one at Burton on Trent was particularly bad with boats moored on both sides and passing places where the number of boats on one side was reduced to create a slightly wider channel.

haggis

That's a thought. Given Nick's love of things historic, I wonder if he has been through Braunston at a certain time of year? smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired