Advice needed on boat builder

Snoopy63

Featured Posts

I am just about to look at a boat to buy as a live aboard. The boat itself looks just what I want, however the builder is Collingwood boats, who I believe was formally Liverpool boats.

I have heard some bad press about Liverpool boats, so my issue is have these problems continued with Collingwood boats and are these a good choice of boat. This will be my new home and obviously something I need to rely on.

Any advice is more than welcome, don't want to blow all my money on something that is not up to the job.

Have you looked at Aintree boats in Liverpool,We have just taken delivery of a sailaway narrowboat from them and are very impressed with build quality having owned a number of boats before.They are a great company to deal with and seem to go the extra mile to please the customer,

'Scuse me - but you don't give any information as to what sort of boat -

• Broad
  • Narrow
  • short
  • long
  • sailaway
  • fully fitted
  • liveaboard (yes) but in a marina with power? CCer CMer
  • (and lots more besides)
  • budget?

If you want a bit of tin just to camp in - then you have a wide choice......

If you want something with style, then that's more expensive with a limited choice

Midway between the two there's less choice.

For starters I'd look at Lymm (do a google) or Cain narrowboats who will do a sailaway

Whilst Liverpool boats have had a bit of a mixed reputation in the past, they are generally ok now. They are a budget build after all. Just make sure that you have it in writing that the boat is no more than 6' 10" wide!

ETA: If I was in the market for a new sailaway, I would look at Lymm as well.

Edited by dor

Liverpool/Collingwood boats have been fitted out by Liverpool/Collingwood themselves, and sold as bare shells and lined sailaways to a variety of boatfitting companies and self-fitters. So while the shells are all Collingwood, the interior fitout and equipment can vary widely, some may be good, others less so.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. It is a second hand 60x12 widebeam, although it is only a year old, and yes I will be keeping it at a marina.

Just wanted to get a rough idea about the builders, I guess the best thing to do is judge it for my self, if it's cheap and nasty it will probably show.

Thanks.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. It is a second hand 60x12 widebeam, although it is only a year old, and yes I will be keeping it at a marina.

Just wanted to get a rough idea about the builders, I guess the best thing to do is judge it for my self, if it's cheap and nasty it will probably show.

Thanks.

Check who did the fit out and unless it has an RCD (Recreational Craft Directive) certificate cannot be legally sold.

Can't comment on Collingswood but I have a 1998 50ft Liverpool trad narrowboat and am very happy with it. Owned it about 30 months now and have had no problems. Bought it in my budget £25,000 and have no regrets. Had a full survey by Steve Hands and no major problems except to earth the invertor and fuse it.

I say give it a good look over in all those under bilge access points and see what it's like.

Jamescheers.gif

New and used boat company seem to move a fair few of these boats when I was looking for my wide beam I considered them but did not like the look of the shell, the rood was to high and curved, also it really was a straight sides squarish cube but as for build it looked ok. I settled on my boat because it had curves

Peter

Thanks.

Ask yourself why someone is selling a new boat after just one year.

• Greenie 1

• 4 years later...

We purchased  a newCollingwood  boat just over two years ago from Narrowboats Ltd Wincham Wharf. We have  had endless problems with it with issues such as the shower and calorifier plumbed the wrong way round, leaking roof vents, chimney not sealed properly resulting in major water ingress, floors warping, bow doors leaking, poor paint job, the list continues.

the after  sales/ warranty service has been appalling , we are still waiting for fixes reported over 18 months ago. Communication is non existent the only way we communicate is via their dealer who deny any responsibility as they are " just the agents".

As we are U k citizens resident in Australia we spend four/ five months a year on our vessel, the Collingwood attitude seems to be as we are far away they can just ignore us. Not aware of UK consumer law but will be taking legal advice when we return to the UK in June.

think twice before going down the Collingwood path then think again as well. We have full documented evidence including all photos and emails, happy to share this

billmoun@bigpond.com

• Sad 1