Tiller Pin

Ray T

Featured Posts

Following on from this remark by Tim Leech:

Posted Yesterday, 09:27 AM

Nice to see someone with a genuine traditional tiller pin, and steel tiller bar.

None of this shiny nonsense which most 'trad boaters' wouldn't be seen dead without now.

wink.png

Who dares to show their tiller pin(s)?

Here's mine.

16527364602_6c59e07147_z.jpgDSCF2081

Two poker handles and one drawer knob.

Edited by Ray T

When I started 'camping' in 1979 my motor came with an unopened brass split pin as its tiller pin. This was replaced by a shortened brass poker at the first opportunity.

captain.gif

Round about the same time, I bought an extra long poker from 'the Barrows' in Glasgow, specifically for future use as a tiller pin.

I'm still using it as a poker, though. Unlikely now to use it for a Narrow Boat.

Ie2c526.jpg

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Shiney pin and shiney pin holder.

tttt_zps05c66229.jpg

That is not the best way to hang your plates, the mountings looking like those designed for a house. I bet they clang together when you bump a cill.

My plates used to overlap a lot more but were hung on individual hooks or pins, and I could really whack something (accidentally) without any plates touching. My plates are even safer now as after recently being retrieved from my ex-wife they all reside in a cupboard in my house

captain.gif .

Round about the same time, I bought an extra long poker from 'the Barrows' in Glasgow, specifically for future use as a tiller pin.

I'm still using it as a poker, though.

Tim

A tiller pin is something I currently have on my acquisition list, just a case of finding a nice old poker of the 'right shape' with a brass shaft. Mind you I do not have a boat to use it on, and I have no intention of buying one.

Other recent purchases for the boat I am not going to buy are a wind up Klaxon complete with its original detachable mount, four brass bedknobs to go inside the door'oles and a chimney chain made from original gas mask brass clips.

Perhaps I'm not very adventurous, so what's a shiny tiller pin that folks above are complaining about?

I don't think anyone has been complaining. My original comment was just a bit of fun, simply because brass tiller bars and fancy tiller pins are nowadays seen as de rigeur, while in working narrow boat days they were more of an optional extra.

Tim

Perhaps I'm not very adventurous, so what's a shiny tiller pin that folks above are complaining about?

"I don't think anyone has been complaining. My original comment was just a bit of fun, simply because brass tiller bars and fancy tiller pins are nowadays seen as de rigeur, while in working narrow boat days they were more of an optional extra."

Tim

Take your pick:

Tillerpin_Header_0000066756.jpg

Edited by Ray T

Ergonomic handled Philips screw drivers for extra comfort make ideal and the cheapest tiller pins. A selection box of em can be had for a few quid from the likes of Screwfix, Aldi, pound shop ect. And choose the colour you prefer to boot. If you're fussy about it, yellow plastic handled ones would pass for a brass one at a fair distance. They are of course also useful if you happen to have a screw loose. sad.png

Following on from this remark by Tim Leech:

Posted Yesterday, 09:27 AM

Nice to see someone with a genuine traditional tiller pin, and steel tiller bar.

None of this shiny nonsense which most 'trad boaters' wouldn't be seen dead without now.

wink.png

Who dares to show their tiller pin(s)?

Here's mine.

16527364602_6c59e07147_z.jpgDSCF2081

Two poker handles and one drawer knob.

They're all a bit too long. Tiller pins were best cut off so there was very little, if anything, protruding below. If there was too much sticking out underneath the tiller end you were likely to catch your shoulder (or head) on it when dropping the cross-straps or the snatcher on to the dollies.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

That will be why the old poker handle one I was given is pretty short then .

Yes, if it's the real thing and was used by, and belonged to, a boatman, that'll be why.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

I don't think anyone has been complaining. My original comment was just a bit of fun, simply because brass tiller bars and fancy tiller pins are nowadays seen as de rigeur, while in working narrow boat days they were more of an optional extra.

Tim

Oh!

Perhaps I got the wrong end of the stick - I thought somebody was getting at the Shiny Boat Brigade.

Much relieved - I have a very small collection of items other than door handles / poker heads. Quite impracticable as I hang my mooring line over the pin. (Shock horror)

They're all a bit too long. Tiller pins were best cut off so there was very little, if anything, protruding below. If there was too much sticking out underneath the tiller end you were likely to catch your shoulder (or head) on it when dropping the cross-straps or the snatcher on to the dollies.

The one on the left is ex Rex Wain. As I will never tow a boat on cross straps, for me length doesn't matter.

Oh!

Perhaps I got the wrong end of the stick - I thought somebody was getting at the Shiny Boat Brigade.

Much relieved - I have a very small collection of items other than door handles / poker heads. Quite impracticable as I hang my mooring line over the pin. (Shock horror)

That (the stern string) should be coiled up small enough to fit on a small dinnerplate and (on a motor) placed just ahead of the can, which itself should be right up against the chimney, and not, as is frequently seen nowadays, halfway down the cabintop as though you've just clouted a cill too hard.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

That (the stern string) should be coiled up small enough to fit on a small dinnerplate and (on a motor) placed just ahead of the can, which itself should be right up against the chimney, and not, as is frequently seen nowadays, halfway down the cabintop as though you've just clouted a cill too hard.

What would a dinnerplate be doing on the cabin roof?

• Greenie 1

My understanding was that the tiller pin allowed for the speedy removal of the tiller if necessary. To this end, a padlock or decorative " tiller tassel " would be counterproductive, though I recall Roger Hatchard sporting one on Lynx at the Liverpool Rally in 68. I doubt he left it on when under way. I've always kept the stern line, coiled small, on the slide...in front of the can is a new one on me, but Tony has done much more boating than I have.

Dave