Is anyone out there moored at Shepperton?

Jen_P

Featured Posts

Hello,

I've just got my first boat and will be temporarily moored at Shepperton whilst waiting to go down the Thames to my new moorings. Not sure how long I'll be at Shepperton for - depends on the red boards!

I'm wondering if anyone out there is moored at Shepperton - for two reasons.

1. The friend who is moving my stuff in his van has just had an emergency appendectomy and needs follow-up surgery in a few weeks. He will be able to drive me next week but not to shift things as he shouldn't lift heavy loads. I can manage almost everything myself except the washer dryer (too heavy) and fridge-freezer and mattresses (not heavy but too awkward for one person!) If anyone would be willing to lend a hand with these next Friday afternoon (probably) I'd be very grateful.

2. Also, I've never lived on a boat before and am a bit nervous! It would be lovely to know the names of one or two people at Shepperton Marina so that, if I didn't know how to work something, I could come and knock on your door and ask! I think it'll be a bit daunting suddenly living on a boat in a place where I know no-one. Once I get to my permanent moorings, I'll be fine as I've a friend who moors nearby. But in Shepperton, I know no-one.

Jen

As well as posting here why not knock on some boats in the marina.

This is posh Thames in posh Surrey we are talking here, not the canals and things are very different.

I'll be amazed if there are any liveaboards in the marina there other than perhaps, a marina caretaker.

MtB

Hi Jen.

You've chosen a great way of life, but you might be about to experience a steep learning curve. (So many questions spring to mind, just at your mention of "washer drier" and "fridge freezer". Both are high electrical demand items for a boat, so I'm hoping you're heading for a marina with elec hookup. Look forward to your future posts as you share you new life aboard with us all.

Bumped to see if anyone can help Jen.

Steve

Thank you Steve!

This is posh Thames in posh Surrey we are talking here, not the canals and things are very different.

Do they let Northerners like me into posh Surrey?

Hi Jen.

You've chosen a great way of life, but you might be about to experience a steep learning curve. (So many questions spring to mind, just at your mention of "washer drier" and "fridge freezer". Both are high electrical demand items for a boat, so I'm hoping you're heading for a marina with elec hookup. Look forward to your future posts as you share you new life aboard with us all.

I'm heading for a mooring with elec hookup! All fine! If I ever decide to cruise, obviously I use laundrettes and I'll have to invest in a 12V fridge. But I think I'm way off being that brave yet!

This morning watched my beautiful boat being craned out and put on a lorry! Such an amazing experience. I filmed it on my phone and I might edit it and put on Youtube if anyone is interested!

I might even blog about my experiences. Undecided yet. Used to do a lot of blogging and quite fancy going back to it!

I'll be amazed if there are any liveaboards in the marina there other than perhaps, a marina caretaker.

MtB

You'd be surprised. Plenty of people live in marinas in the area.

Hi Jen

From one Northerner to another, I hope all goes well for you. It was really nice to chat with you this morning at the Marina and I hope your beautiful baby arrives safe and sound tomorrow.

Sue

Hello,

I've just got my first boat and will be temporarily moored at Shepperton whilst waiting to go down the Thames to my new moorings. Not sure how long I'll be at Shepperton for - depends on the red boards!

Does it mean from post 15 that you are moving for the first time onto a boat with a brand new baby and no partner? I think you might need help with more than lifting a few heavy bits and pieces if that is the case - and for moving the boat down the Thames. Good luck whatever.

Tam

Hi Jen,

I am sure all will be well you are after all nearly a Yorkshire girl and us boaters are normally the friendliest people in the world cheers.gif Hope all goes well with the move to your new mooring after only a short stay at Shepperton. Sorry I didnt meet you when we visited thorne at the beginning of this year. When I watched my boat being craned in a few years ago it had me worried to say the least I also saw that I had missed some blacking on the bottomsmiley_offtopic.gif ha ha.

Good luck with your new life a career

Peter

Hi Tam

Just to clarify - by 'beautiful baby' I was referring to Jen's boat, which is by the way, beautiful. Sorry if I confused things.

Sue

Hi Sue,

I saw the pictures of her and yes she is a beauty to say the least a lovely first boat

Peter

Hi Peter

Nice to hear from someone local. Our boat will be ready for handover next week and we are so much looking forward to taking ownership. Our boat is moored at Bluewater Marina. Might see you sometime.

Sue

Does it mean from post 15 that you are moving for the first time onto a boat with a brand new baby and no partner? I think you might need help with more than lifting a few heavy bits and pieces if that is the case - and for moving the boat down the Thames. Good luck whatever.

Tam

That did make me laugh! As Sue said, the baby referred to is the boat! So funny!

But yes, no partner! Sad little me! Fingers crossed that Mr Right will come sailing by one day...!

Hi Peter

Nice to hear from someone local. Our boat will be ready for handover next week and we are so much looking forward to taking ownership. Our boat is moored at Bluewater Marina. Might see you sometime.

Sue

I am sure you will we have friends at bluewater and is it now lock gate lane marina? so we do sail down for long weekends

Peter

• Greenie 1

I am sure you will we have friends at bluewater and is it now lock gate lane marina? so we do sail down for long weekends

Peter

No, it's still Bluewater but I know there are other marinas in Thorne. Bluewater's address is South End, DN8 5QP

Sue