Can i take pictures of your boat?

the barnacle

Featured Posts

Try going through London in the tourist season, If it floats and moves it will be photographed. There is absolutely nothing exceptional or photogenic on my bog standard clonecraft.

No need. We go to Wells next the Sea at the end of every May in the school holidays!

Luckily it's boat crews only on the pontoons so it's photographed from the quayside.

It was rude and no freebies forthcoming either.

I wasn't bothered about a friend posting pictures of my boat on here , big Northwiches aren't exactly shy. If they were then it's kinda tough luck cos how does a thing that big hide its self.

I was just saying how I would have approached a boat owner who's boat I planned to take pictures of if my intended use was to use the image on a greetings card.

Besides if you drive a classic car, ride a classic motorbike or own a historic narrowboat doesn't having its picture taken go with the territory?

Ed to add a missing word.

Edited by The Dog House

I can vouch for the Camden Lock snappers. We almost felt like celebrities boating through in October! Resolute tends to attract attention, thankfully for the right reasons, but the funniest instance happened a few years ago close to home in Brierley Hill when the boat was tied on the Waterfront, close to the nearby Copthorne Hotel. We'd been to the local shopping centre on foot, came back via the Waterfront and were startled to see a group of people around and on the boat. Initial concern soon turned to amusement as we got closer and realised that she was being used as a backdrop for a wedding party at the hotel. We walked on and left them to it!

Happy new year all

Dave

Ah mr Dog , it was Naughty Cal I was replying to.

I chose my boat because I loved it and I'm not at all bothered about photos etc generally but that particular day there was good reason why I didn't want a load of intrusive photos . Boat minus me fine , boat plus me not fine.

Generally I'm just not bothered about happy snappers.

Well, when my boat was moored above Days Lock on the Thames, someone came along and took a photo of the back cabin through the rear doors. The image ended up on a coffin (which you can still buy). Dave Moore (of this parish) may recognise some of his workmanship - http://www.creativecoffins.com/coffins/narrowboat/

We choose to live on the canal which is a public place, and in some parts a tourist attraction, so can hardly complain if we get our picture taken.

Had exited phone call from kids a year or so back to say we were on TV. It was some sort of "location location" thing and we were filmed on the Bridgewater.

I never saw a film crew so maybe they did it with quite a long lens? .Only complaint was that we looked like typical boater with me driving and Gillie sat at the front with her feet up.....those who know us will know that this is not how we usually do it!

.............Dave

We choose to live on the canal which is a public place, and in some parts a tourist attraction, so can hardly complain if we get our picture taken.

Had exited phone call from kids a year or so back to say we were on TV. It was some sort of "location location" thing and we were filmed on the Bridgewater.

I never saw a film crew so maybe they did it with quite a long lens? .Only complaint was that we looked like typical boater with me driving and Gillie sat at the front with her feet up.....those who know us will know that this is not how we usually do it!

.............Dave

We were on Police Interceptors when it was filmed in Lincoln, not as the intercepted mind!

We just happened to be anchored in Brayford Pool when the van/car with the film crew in went by.

Bloody hell Kathryn! What next? I'm gobsmacked. Don't suppose they offered royalties on the taken image.....

Your pigeon box is nearly done.CHEERS

Dave

I did ring them and put them on the spot - they said they had purchased the image commercially - but they did say I could have a free coffin if I could tell them when I wanted it! I am not planning on needing one too soon! Thanks re Pigeon Box - I'll give you a call middle of next week.

I do actually find it quite interesting how we, in this country, have become very obsessive about being photographed. As a child my parents took loads of holiday photos of us kids on the beach etc. totally harmless but would anyone dare to take such photos today? Back in 2001 (before this country became so paranoid) we went for a break to Morocco (Marrakesh) and whilst walking through the souk it was apparent that the Moroccans did not like being photographed and the general feeling then was we are in their country, we will respect their views but it was felt at that time that it was slightly odd behaviour. Now that 'slightly odd' behaviour in Morocco has become the norm in the UK.

From my own point of view if I'm in the public domain then I don't have any objection at all of being photographed (or not being photographed since I neither seek nor avoid it it). The only place that I would get annoyed is if someone stuck their camera into the boat to photograph me in the private domain, but otherwise I'm really not bothered.

I do actually find it quite interesting how we, in this country, have become very obsessive about being photographed. As a child my parents took loads of holiday photos of us kids on the beach etc. totally harmless but would anyone dare to take such photos today? Back in 2001 (before this country became so paranoid) we went for a break to Morocco (Marrakesh) and whilst walking through the souk it was apparent that the Moroccans did not like being photographed and the general feeling then was we are in their country, we will respect their views but it was felt at that time that it was slightly odd behaviour. Now that 'slightly odd' behaviour in Morocco has become the norm in the UK.

From my own point of view if I'm in the public domain then I don't have any objection at all of being photographed (or not being photographed since I neither seek nor avoid it it). The only place that I would get annoyed is if someone stuck their camera into the boat to photograph me in the private domain, but otherwise I'm really not bothered.

It's very rare I don't have a camera on me be it my main one or the phone. Don't even give it a second thought before picking it up and snapping away.

No one has yet been offended and we have some great pictures of people just going about their lives. Don't tend to post these though as most of the places we post pictures are on boat related forums so the pictures we post tend to be boat related!

We had a lad sitting in our front cratch, with a plastic flower (our table decorations) in his mouth, and holding up our solar light like the Statue of Liberty....while his boyfriend took pics of him.....got a right fright when I popped my head out and asked if he could get off my boat....they didn't think anyone was home.

and anyway...a purple boat breaks camera lenses......

Unfortunately, the owner of this one wasn't around to ask for permission at the time but I don't think he'd be upset at me posting this as it doesn't give any location details...

10359127406_60e13c6127_c.jpg

Canal boats are fair game for photographers...canals and boats just go together so well!

Unfortunately, the owner of this one wasn't around to ask for permission at the time but I don't think he'd be upset at me posting this as it doesn't give any location details...

10359127406_60e13c6127_c.jpg

Canal boats are fair game for photographers...canals and boats just go together so well!

:)

I think it's no longer at Staniland Marina anyway so it's Ok.

Edited by The Dog House

It's quite legal to take pictures of people and boats in a public place. There are issues if you photograph someone who has a 'reasonable expectation of privacy", but it doesn't apply to a narrowboat helmsman (OR woman) anywhere on the cut. If you are big and tough, you can scowl at them, but that's about it, I'm afraid. Well at least that was right a while ago. Don't think much has changed except where it concerns terrorism.

(I'm an amateur photographer)

Edited by Loafer

I had my boat on a Pub sign, Trouble was they didn't take it but nicked it from my web site. It even made the local papers, for all the wrong reasons.

I am likewise always flattered when someone takes a photo of our boat. The only occasion I have been a tad miffed was in Stratford on Avon last summer. We were moored in Bancroft basin, sat below having a glass when we heard and felt someone get on the boat aft. When I popped my head out I was met with the sight of several Japanese tourists taking turns being snapped standing at the tiller. We did, however, see the funny side and eventually had a queue forming. Have taken many photos of boats over the years and agree with Dog house and will always ask if the owner is about.

Lucky they didn't come in and take photos inside

Our other boat appears in one of the waterway mags every time they do a bit about the Basingstoke. its over 15 years ago. We have an identical photo hanging in the hall as Diana was stood next to the photographer.

Edited because I am on the bubbly

Edited by ditchcrawler

I am miserable! I dont't mind people taking pictures of the boat if i am not on /in it but i object to becoming part of the phoograph especially without being asked, so now if i see the camera i either put my hand up to my face or, if i am not at the tiller turn my back to the camera! I can be as rude as the photographer.

Worse still is when tourists of certain nationalities try to/touch or get on the boat, this is an absolute no no! I now even grumpier after an expereince on the aqauduct at llangollen where tourists were putting their heads against the window and peering into the boat, now when i expect lots of people i pull the curtains shut, I wouldn't peer through their windows so i expect the same. Though i may sound horrid i believe in manners and unfortunately i see much evidence of these disappearing!

I like my privacy and don't generally "do" social media, as, i have no facebook page i object stongly to appearing on others!

Edited by little duck!

Even though my boat is a million miles away from being the best looking boat on the cut, people often take photos of it and us, I never mind, and I don't mind if they post them on the internet. People often want to talk to us about narrowboating- usually to ask "Isn't it cold in there at this time of year?" laugh.png and again, I never mind that. People also peer through the windows, and I don't mid that either, although I have been thinking of putting a "gentleman's magazine" or two in conspicuous places...

and forgot to say....., in Towpath Talk Fenny Compton marina are using a photo of Our boat taken by Gillie!

They took it from the internet (Flickr). Gillie put it there with no copy-write so they are breaking no laws, but an acknowledgement would have been polite!

............Dave

When we are boating, we often see folk pointing a camera at the boat (we don't mind in the least) but then they see the 3 dogs sitting in the front or leaning over the edge and it is the dogs who get their photo taken, not the boat!

haggis

I am miserable! I dont't mind people taking pictures of the boat if i am not on /in it but i object to becoming part of the phoograph especially without being asked, so now if i see the camera i either put my hand up to my face or, if i am not at the tiller turn my back to the camera! I can be as rude as the photographer.

Worse still is when tourists of certain nationalities try to/touch or get on the boat, this is an absolute no no! I now even grumpier after an expereince on the aqauduct at llangollen where tourists were putting their heads against the window and peering into the boat, now when i expect lots of people i pull the curtains shut, I wouldn't peer through their windows so i expect the same. Though i may sound horrid i believe in manners and unfortunately i see much evidence of these disappearing!

I like my privacy and don't generally "do" social media, as, i have no facebook page i object stongly to appearing on others!

If you're in a public place they have the right to photograph you, and you have the right to be as miserable and rude as you like. :-)

A question to the forum: Are marinas public or private spaces? My instinct is they're private, but could be wrong.

Edited by Québec