Can i take pictures of your boat?

the barnacle

Featured Posts

whats your thoughts of people taking pictures of your boat? -

i have just been on a bike ride past the fox and anchor at Coven there was a lovely small boat with a tug front, i would of loved to take a few shots, but the 2 fires were lit and i think the owners were on it so i just admired it and moved on, also there is a boat what looks like an old working boat all riveted nr by, i felt like taking pictures was invading their privacy?

whats your thoughts of people taking pictures of your boat? -

i have just been on a bike ride past the fox and anchor at Coven there was a lovely small boat with a tug front, i would of loved to take a few shots, but the 2 fires were lit and i think the owners were on it so i just admired it and moved on, also there is a boat what looks like an old working boat all riveted nr by, i felt like taking pictures was invading their privacy?

Our boat must have been pictured loads of times without permission being given but equally sometimes people have asked.

I think it's polite to ask but not really essential, if the owner appears to be around then it does no harm to ask but if they are not or you don't want to disturb them then just shoot away I would say.

I cant stop people taking photographs of my house or car as it's in a public place so see little difference with my boat TBH.

thanks for the replies - i just felt awkward, but then when i returned the boat had gone - it said valencia wharf oldbury on it was grey and looked quite new. if the owner is on here its a lovely boat.

if i saw the owner i would of asked,

TBH I would be quite pleased that somebody thought my boat was worthy of taking a picture of. I would be very surprised if somebody said no, though they themselves might not want to be in the picture which to me is fair enough.

Our pair of boats is often photographed and I'm always happy to chat about them to interested passers by.

The only time I was a bit miffed was when a magazine featured Kelvins and had a large picture of our engine illustrating the article. I was even more miffed, but saw the funny side of it, when on the cover of said magazine , our engine was referred to as a Melvin.

thanks for the replies - i just felt awkward, but then when i returned the boat had gone - it said valencia wharf oldbury on it was grey and looked quite new. if the owner is on here its a lovely boat.

That would be a Les Allen boat, last produced some 15 or 20 years ago I think. Valencia Wharf was the location of the boatyard, and I believe that the wharf no longer exists.

There is a Les Allen owners' club; if they have a web site, you may find some pleasing photos on there.

I'm more than happy for anyone to take pictures of my boat or me if I am at the tiller. Not that my boat is anything special. Having said that some would not like you to be taking pictures of their boat or of them so it would be best to ask first rather than risk some angry boater chasing you down the tow path with his windlass. Of course even asking these days could invoke the wrath of some so basically you risk it whatever you do LOL.

Update: the web site is called Allens Register. If you go to the Boat List section and scroll right down, you will come to photos of many of Allen's boats. Did you notice the name of the one which you saw?

I take a lot of canal photos...boats, scenery etc.

Nobody has ever objected, in fact most folk are rather flattered when I approach them, which I always try to do as a simple mark of courtesy.

The one rule I have is never to disclose the location of a boat which is obviously unoccupied.

Janet

I got very cross when someone who was asked by my OH not to photograph me and boat did so anyway and published the image as a greeting card.

I think if there is an issue of commercial gain involved I am inclined to agree.

A simple gesture of offering a free pack of the cards would have been suitable redress for me, but I wouldn't be happy to be in them either.

I take a lot of photos of other peoples boats for my cruising newsletter, and my boat get's photographed a lot. It's all fair game as far as I am concerned. The trouble is that a picture of my boat is now part of a stock collection which means that it it used whenever some hack wants a boat photo. The result is that every so often other boaters tell me that my boat is featured in such and such publication. Sometimes they even buy a copy just for me.

I am likewise always flattered when someone takes a photo of our boat. The only occasion I have been a tad miffed was in Stratford on Avon last summer. We were moored in Bancroft basin, sat below having a glass when we heard and felt someone get on the boat aft. When I popped my head out I was met with the sight of several Japanese tourists taking turns being snapped standing at the tiller. We did, however, see the funny side and eventually had a queue forming. Have taken many photos of boats over the years and agree with Dog house and will always ask if the owner is about.

It was rude and no freebies forthcoming either.

I wasn't bothered about a friend posting pictures of my boat on here , big Northwiches aren't exactly shy. If they were then it's kinda tough luck cos how does a thing that big hide its self.

Which begs the question if you don't like or want your boat photographing why own one that is guaranteed to be snapped?

I am likewise always flattered when someone takes a photo of our boat. The only occasion I have been a tad miffed was in Stratford on Avon last summer. We were moored in Bancroft basin, sat below having a glass when we heard and felt someone get on the boat aft. When I popped my head out I was met with the sight of several Japanese tourists taking turns being snapped standing at the tiller. We did, however, see the funny side and eventually had a queue forming. Have taken many photos of boats over the years and agree with Dog house and will always ask if the owner is about.

Taking a photo of the boat is fine, but stepping aboard without permission is definitely not.

Some time ago, someone on here posted about returning to his boat to find a wedding couple being photographed in the front well!

Which begs the question if you don't like or want your boat photographing why own one that is guaranteed to be snapped?

Try going through London in the tourist season, If it floats and moves it will be photographed. There is absolutely nothing exceptional or photogenic on my bog standard clonecraft.