Brief tips on repairing Knickers.

bizzard

Featured Posts

Now we've all at one time or another had trouble with knickers or underpants falling down due to the waist elastic busting. Sometimes the elastic gradually gets weaker, so gradually that at first we don't really take much notice and sort of subconsciously give em a little hitch up now and then and all is comfortable again, for a while. Tension can be restored temporarily by the use of safety pins. This hitching up business gets more frequent though as the elastic weakens more and more, until the underpants finally slip down and dangle around the knees ''just when your running for the bus'' saved from plummeting to the ankles by the trouser crotch, terribly irritating and can be embarrassing in public whilst contortions are performed to get em back up and secure, usually by trapping em under the trousers waist. The problem is much much worse and a serious catastrophe for ladies wearing dresses. I don't know why they don't keep em up with over the shoulder braces, just in case, sort of belt 'n' braces.

I'll now explain in brief how to renew weak or busted knicker elastic.

Knicker elastic can be renewed whilst their owner is still wearing them, for maybe they're the only pair they possess. But lets assume they have been removed.

Firstly the old elastic has to be removed, a sharp craft knife will quickly cut through all the stitches. Discard old elastic.

Knickers and underpants come in all shapes, forms and sizes, so I'll deal with the most difficult ones. These are of the frilly, pleated bloomer type. In order to renew the elastic and retain the frilly pleatage an extra special technique is required.

Find a flat stick. Stretch the knickers out by their waist by hand until the frilly pleatages are flattened out and measure. Cut the stick to this measurement. Cut a length of elastic the same length as the stick and bend it into a circle, stitching the ends together. Now stretch the elastic around the stick and place both inside of the stretched out knickers waist. You are now ready to sew in the new elastic. A double row of stitches is paramount for best security. When stitched in yank out the stick and 'Hey presto' beoing! the knickers once again are like new with all the frilly pleatage in tact. And you'll feel all nice and safe once more. smile.png

I was going to say this post was pants but hey Biz I do believe you are onto something.

Phil

I carried out this repair on my underpants today with elastic removed from a pair of old and worn out jogging trouser things. So I thought I'd pass on the technique which might help other boaters with

a similar brief predicament and to do something useful in their boats during the dark winter evenings. I also saved the elastic from the ankle bottoms and the waist cord, which is ever so strong and very useful.

Now we've all at one time or another had trouble with knickers or underpants falling down due to the waist elastic busting. Sometimes the elastic gradually gets weaker, so gradually that at first we don't really take much notice and sort of subconsciously give em a little hitch up now and then and all is comfortable again, for a while. Tension can be restored temporarily by the use of safety pins. This hitching up business gets more frequent though as the elastic weakens more and more, until the underpants finally slip down and dangle around the knees ''just when your running for the bus'' saved from plummeting to the ankles by the trouser crotch, terribly irritating and can be embarrassing in public whilst contortions are performed to get em back up and secure, usually by trapping em under the trousers waist. The problem is much much worse and a serious catastrophe for ladies wearing dresses. I don't know why they don't keep em up with over the shoulder braces, just in case, sort of belt 'n' braces.

I'll now explain in brief how to renew weak or busted knicker elastic.

Knicker elastic can be renewed whilst their owner is still wearing them, for maybe they're the only pair they possess. But lets assume they have been removed.

Firstly the old elastic has to be removed, a sharp craft knife will quickly cut through all the stitches. Discard old elastic.

Knickers and underpants come in all shapes, forms and sizes, so I'll deal with the most difficult ones. These are of the frilly, pleated bloomer type. In order to renew the elastic and retain the frilly pleatage an extra special technique is required.

Find a flat stick. Stretch the knickers out by their waist by hand until the frilly pleatages are flattened out and measure. Cut the stick to this measurement. Cut a length of elastic the same length as the stick and bend it into a circle, stitching the ends together. Now stretch the elastic around the stick and place both inside of the stretched out knickers waist. You are now ready to sew in the new elastic. A double row of stitches is paramount for best security. When stitched in yank out the stick and 'Hey presto' beoing! the knickers once again are like new with all the frilly pleatage in tact. And you'll feel all nice and safe once more. smile.png

All of this can be avoided by using the safety pins you mention to hold the knickers UP.

Do this by pinning the elastic with four safety pins. Two through the skin of your tummy and two around the back, by your kidneys. The bleeding shouldn't last long but in the meantime mop it up with tissues.

Sorted.

MtB

Nice to see a post (particularly at this time of year) that is obviously the product of a strictly sober mind!

(You may save money in the long run by fashioning a pair of braces from your elastic. Then you can use them on multiple knickers).

If Bizzard could learn to walk everywhere on his hands, rather than his feet, then he would not have to worry about knicker elastic, as gravity would keep even a totally failed pair round all the relevant areas.

The downside would be a requirement to deal with hats that are anything other than a tight fit on his head, but if he is of "normal" proportions he will need less reclaimed elastic for a hat chinstrap than a full sized knickers waist, I think.

I normally find that an increase in food produces the required increase in waist size which expands to fit the larger waist band due to slack elastic. Much easier than trying to re-thread elastic.

However, my Doctor disagrees !

Merry Christmas everyone

Edited by Boatingbiker

Grooooo! They're too tight now, me feet are freezing cold, I've stopped the blood from running down there. I will have to stand on my head after all. Thanks for all the comforting replies folks.

Next time, maybe later, if you're good I'll examine and explain the ever growing problem of spontaneous combustion caused by static electricity due to the wearing of nylon knickers and underwear. This curious phenomenon seems to inflict itself upon vegetarians mostly. BOOM!!!!! closedeyes.gif

Did you know you can cut endless bands of knicker elastic of almost any length from a car inner tube?

Richard

Good idea Richard. Also bicycle inner tubes come in all sizes to suit different sized people and fine adjustment can be attained by inflation with a pump which could be carried about with you in a handbag to adjust the pressure before and after dining. A 27x1.1/4 tube would fit a big person, someone the size of that Cyril Smith bloke for example. Must rush off now to buy new underpants. Merry Christmas folks. cheers.gif

PSI. Recommended. Will also act as a life belt in case you fall in. closedeyes.gif

Edited by bizzard

You could tweak this arrangement to make it more efficient especially at this time of year, by threading the elastic from the wasteband of your chosen undergarments, up you're back then split it to go down each sleeve to be made fast to your Mittens !.

This would save critical time if in the WC, as by simply taking off you're mittens you're Anckles become instantly warmer, and your ready to just sit down and ,,,,,,,Read !.

Just remember to only take ONE mitten off though if greeting a friend with a Hand shake !. As the result may be misinterpreted !.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

The railway chief mechanical engineer Patrick Stirling who was responsible for the Stirling single driving wheels locomotives. He was anti engines with coupled driving wheels. He said, ''An engine with it's wheels coupled with coupling rods is like a ''Wee laddie trying to rrun with his Breeks doon. (breeches)''.

All of this can be avoided by using the safety pins you mention to hold the knickers UP.

Do this by pinning the elastic with four safety pins. Two through the skin of your tummy and two around the back, by your kidneys. The bleeding shouldn't last long but in the meantime mop it up with tissues.

Sorted.

MtB

Ok Mike. Don't get your knickers in a twist over it though. Just sayin like.