BCN Challenge Victory

chris_r

Featured Posts

Many of you will have been following Mattys epic voyage across the BCN and the huge amount of challenges he faced en route.

As the absentee owner of BALDOCK I can only applaud his tenacity and perseverance at overcoming the huge number of engineering challenges and the colossal amount of rubbish he stripped off the blade.

I would also thank the support from various members of this forum in keeping Matty going and in particular Rob for turning up in person and adding not only an extra pair of hands but valuable personal contact. Boat delivery is a tough and lonely job at the best of times but when things start going wrong it gets an awful lot tougher.

Well done everyone .... this is what CWDF does best of all

Agreed!

Well done that man.

Just out of interest, how much does Baldock draw?

<THINKS: Thank Gawd for weed hatches>

Thanks Chris for the kind words.

Thanks also to Dave Moore who came along just at the right time to help me get over the final obstacle just short of the colliery arms, the narrow section was not going to let me past at all.

My arms are aching today with changing gear every 500 yards to drop the crap off the prop.

I think Baldock is drawing around 3 1/2 feet at the back due to water sitting in the bilges.

It's not all hard work though....

Best tunnel light in the world (did I tell you that Baldocks tunnel light doesn't work.....it doesn't)......

IMG-1418892913960-V_zpsxga4o7ok.jpg

IMG-1418892968315-V_zps8exybrqb.jpg

Nature strikes back........

20141219_090336_zpscxnpgtg6.jpg

just before Sunrise leaving the Sampson Road works.....

20141219_081327_zpsoeig9z3s.jpg

Edited by matty40s

Just in case anyone was wondering about those tunnel pictures, Shrewley tunnel runs SE to NW , the sun rose 10 minutes before I got to the tunnel and was shining directly along the tunnel line . I have never seen a tunnel as clearly inside, it was stunning, my camera pics do not do justice, and it only left me as the low hanging clouds that blighted the rest of the day took it away 100yds from the northern portal.

Alan

Does anyone really know or care? Years ago most boaters I knew would turn off their headlamp as soon as possible and in short tunnels they were hardly ever used. Common sense, that rare commodity, seems to be less available than it used to be in the world of modern waterways, you have only to look at the passing on the wrong side thread elsewhere on the forum as an example. I can't see that any resulting collision in that instance would result in much more than a scrape, paint and dignity lost, maybe....I deplore the demand for more regulation on most inland waterways, rivers and commercial ones excepted. Incoming flak expected!

Dave

Alan

Does anyone really know or care?

Well I know, and I suppose I care to the extent that if someone tells me I am doing something wrong by not having a light on in a short tunnel, I can tell them it is not a requirement.

Not that those likely to be suggesting that to me, are likely to believe me, though!

For what it is worth, I continue to try and oppose any further rules and regulation that seem to be being introduced only to keep people in a job.

Off topic, but I only found this comment attached to our blog a few days ago - it is from "Bob the Blacksmith", who tries hard to trade at Stoke Bruerne, despite CRT, and who presumably represents exactly the kind of attraction that might be expected to not only draw in visitors, but also to provide some of the educational experience as well.

It speaks for itself, really....

From: Bob Nightingale Blacksmith at the Tug Store, Stoke Bruerne.

The canal is dead at Stoke Bruerne. There are few visitors as there are so few boats - even the ducks are leaving. My business is down 50% due to lack of passing trade. If this situation is not remedied within the next 6 months I will not be here as the savings that I am currently using to survive shall have evaporated.

I have been berated at Newbould for not having a light on

But they have put lights in there so you don't have to! :lol:

(OK, OK, I know they have nearly all stopped working!)