Sign writer has spelt my boat name wrong..any ideas ?

Brogden

Featured Posts

I have tidied up lines,curves and overpaints with EverBuild WonderWipes, which is why ai said time is of the essence. A 3 or 4 week old painted panel with a signwriting mistake can have the mistake erased and not have any effect on the painted panel.

Mr Muscle is a new one on me though. although it has a great history of making defunct Skoda turbo's work again .

I've seen an experienced sign writer of my acquaintance correct a misspelling two weeks after the event just by using 3M Finesse-it to cut the name off; the paint underneath wasn't affected.

I used to be a part owner in the ex ownerships boat 'Honeystreet'.

The name is in large letters on the semi trad sides, it is spelled correctly but the decoration is different on each side. In the eleven years that I was an owner, no other owner mentioned this to me nor I to them. I've often wondered how many ever noticed it.

Hi Frank,

The reason for the different aertwork was due to a poor quality repaint by a certain yard. They also mismanaged their bulk fuel tank, allowing it to become partly full with condensation, resulting in at least two breakdowns as a result of water in the fuel tank, so HS was moved to another yard mid-season.

During the annual maintenance it was noticed that the sign writing on one side was lifting, so the painter at the new yard repainted the faulty artwork, and tried to replicate the artwork as best as he could as best as he could.

Given that each sign writers style is different I thought the second boatyard did a good job.

The registrar who registered my birth misspelt my name on my birth certificate "Jeramy". When I stood for election the returning officer told me I had spelt my own name wrong on the nomination papers!laugh.png

The registrar entered the wrong address on my son's birth certificate, which I did not notice until several years later, we live in Tyning Road, and he wrote Tyning Way, The word Tyning is an old Wiltshire/Somerset word for boundary or enclosure and almost every village and town has at least one road named Tyning somthing, and "Way" is far more commonplace than "Road" so that may exoplain his mistake. Fortunately there is no Tyning Way in our Village so the mistake is not as important.

Edited by David Schweizer

I know I'm missing something and that Legal Food is probably not that appropriate a name for a Chinese restaurant, but I'm wracking my brains and coming up dry when trying to work out what it should have said?

"Regal food" presumably . I understand that the Chinese have problems pronouncing R ( usually comes out as sounding like an L )

I know I'm missing something and that Legal Food is probably not that appropriate a name for a Chinese restaurant, but I'm wracking my brains and coming up dry when trying to work out what it should have said?

It sounds like it might have been missing an 'i' at the start.

Lincolnshire Echo: Lincoln Chinese takeaway receives poor food hygiene rating

Legal Food on the High Street has been told by inspectors that it requires major improvement in its hygiene practices.

It was inspected on February 5 by officers from the Food Standards Agency.

5891804-large.jpg

"Regal food" presumably . I understand that the Chinese have problems pronouncing R ( usually comes out as sounding like an L )

Like the Monty Python sketch featuring "Erizabeth L" :)

Edited to add a smiley.

Edited by cuthound

The common nickname for a popular Chinese restaurant side dish, "flied lice", may provide a clue!

One day, bored in town whilst my wife was shopping I wandered into the library. They have microfiche readers and so I looked up my own wedding some thirty years previously. I found I was recorded as being married to some strange woman in the Gloucester area.

Ten years on I got round to writing to the Records Office. No chance of correcting it they said. Those microfiche records went worldwide they told me. It isn't computerised that far back but they would put a margin note next to my ledger entry. I was told to keep good care of my original certificate.

Hope this other woman is obscenely rich and remembers me in her will.

One day, bored in town whilst my wife was shopping I wandered into the library. They have microfiche readers and so I looked up my own wedding some thirty years previously. I found I was recorded as being married to some strange woman in the Gloucester area.

Ten years on I got round to writing to the Records Office. No chance of correcting it they said. Those microfiche records went worldwide they told me. It isn't computerised that far back but they would put a margin note next to my ledger entry. I was told to keep good care of my original certificate.

Hope this other woman is obscenely rich and remembers me in her will.

It isn't uncommon to find that people wrongly assume that a record is wrong, because they fail to account for the fact that each GRO reference covers TWO marriages.

Either is permissible, I think you'll find. I must admit that, though my grasp of English is quite reasonable, this one does worry me a bit, that's why I use "written"instead where the context allows me to.

Or should that be wrote, or writ,,,?

It's spelt. Because it's past tense. First subject. Either way the name of the boat was written on the contract.

Things have moved on. Does anyone have any knowledge of the effect of oven cleaner on two week old Craftmaster coach enamel paint. .?

No idea, but I hope things are going well. At least you have a solid base to work on with Craftmaster paint, hopefully it will shrug the oven cleaner off. Please give your signwriter my sympathy, I do feel for the bloke! I've had some lucky escapes over the years.

Dave

It's spelt. Because it's past tense. First subject.

Not in America, apparently

Trust your painter - I know he made a mistake, he will know more about paint than almost any forum poster (excepting the one above me of course)

Richard

Credit where credits due, he's worked very hard and he's just sent me some pictures. Which look good. Having met him, I am absolutely sure he's as upset as we are, at an honest mistake. He simply spelt ISAAC as ISSAC

I'll be able to have a good look on Friday and when I get the hang of photoshack, I'll post them

• Greenie 1

At Fradley, moored outside the boat yard there is a narrowboat called Good Boy & I'm told that the sign writing has recently been done. The home base is given as Rugley ----- could they mean Rugeley by any chance?

Off topic, the other day I noticed that the metal tender that the boat yard use was half full of water & very low to the surface. No sign of it today & I wonder if it is sitting on the bottom.