bamboo flooring

kevinl

Featured Posts

Does anyone have any views on using this as a replacement flooring on a boat? It's 15mm solid bamboo not laminated or engineered so I'd be taking out the 12mm ply floor and use this in its place, It's a Springer so I don't need that much so £20 a sq ft is OK and unsupported between the bearers only about 2 feet so the flex on 15mm hardwood over 2 feet should be OK too?

The spec says "Bamboo flooring is stronger than most hardwood floors, as well as being highly moisture-resistant."

Does anyone have any experience with this in a boaty environment.

I won't be using it in a bathroom but possibly everywhere else.

K

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Tanned-Bamboo-Solid-Wood-Flooring/p/158019?CAWELAID=120135120000016773&CAGPSPN=pla&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping+-+Flooring&tmcampid=104&tmad=c&tmplaceref=&tmcustom=mkwid|lLQpZ0dZ_dc|pcrid|43364557732|&gclid=CPCnqdTfxsECFZQZtAodqhQAlQ

The floor would be a springer also .15mm wont Be enough ,,the ply thats down seems undersized also but as its layed in large sheets with lots of fixing it worked ok but are you able to do the same with bamboo flooring in strips and few fixings.cant you lay new floor over ply

I suppose there might "issues around headroom" if flooring is placed over the existing ply, or the ply may be shagged out and uneven?

I prefer to have ply under a wood floor if.possible.

I was looking at bamboo flooring as I think it looks really great. My problem was that to lay it on a ply sub floor would have meant lowering the bearers. Huge amount of work and put it out of the question. I was very disappointed.

Edited by John V

Not flooring admittedly - we have bamboo worktops in our kitchen. They have been in place for over 3 years and still look great. I oil them around 2-3 times a year but it is only really around the sink area where they get regular splashes of water (that do not always get wiped up) that really need re-oiling.

Based on my experience of worktops I think they may scratch a lot easier than some other woods. On the worktops the fitter suggested that in time the patina of a lot of small marks would give a much more homely and lived in look and three years in I agree with him but there have been a couple of slight "spoilers" that I have felt the need to rub down and start again (damp bottomed plant pot on he windowsill was one)

I would be interested to see how it would fair on a boat floor after a few years

I loose laid some wickes bamboo flooring directly on top of the ply base in my narrowboat. I did put an expansion joint half way down the boat. I joined all the 'planks' with pva on all 4 sides and in the bathroom and galley added an extra layer of Flag varnish to to ensure no water can get into the joins.

It's over 2 years old and no problems, and am pleased with it, though carpet hides the dog hairs and dust much better :-)

If you have a decent ply base another option is finger parquet which is 7-10mm thick. Loads of reclaimed stuff on the auction website. I laid 10sqm of 9mm thick fingers onto ply in my saloon and its great. Paid £60 for 11 sq m approx. I didn't need to remove the old bitumen glue... Its a nice floor material and as long as the right adhesive is used it sticks well.

Forgot glue name will check.

My floor.is Merbau I think

(the wood that is)

Adhesive Lecol 5000

• 4 weeks later...

YES I HAVE A CHINESE BOAT. I have been using it on a regular basis for 6 years and I must admit it let me down ONCE the gear change cable snapped. If it was possible to get a bigger one now ( they stopped trading/building 4ish years ago) I would buy another without hesitation.

As Harmony has revived this thread I have a similar question.

Has anyone had any experience of laying this:

http://www.diy.com/departments/colours-bali-teak-real-wood-top-layer-flooring-108m-pack/252587_BQ.prd

As we are having a new teak cockpit table and teak cockpit floor we thought we might like this flooring in the cabin.

East West use 2 types of wood Bamboo and Oak I am pretty sure that the wood on the floor,sides and ceiling is Oak not bamboo. The dinnette table and doors/drawers and most fittings are bamboo although is is very hard wearing I personally would not use it on the floor. Saw your link -- it looks really good

As Harmony has revived this thread I have a similar question.

Has anyone had any experience of laying this:

http://www.diy.com/departments/colours-bali-teak-real-wood-top-layer-flooring-108m-pack/252587_BQ.prd

As we are having a new teak cockpit table and teak cockpit floor we thought we might like this flooring in the cabin.

Does say not suitable for "splash areas". whatever that means as they have it pictured in a bathroom?

It does look nice but Aaaarrrgggghhh !!! the price !!! I just worked out it would be over £3k for the saloon ! One day I will find something that I like, is thin enough and doesn't cost the national debt

35 sqm?

Now THATS a saloon :wub:

btw John V have a look at reclaimed finger parquet it can be god cheap and looks great. Take a long time to lay it took me about an hour per sq.metre..

Normally about 10mm is ideal

Got cheap

35 sqm?

Now THATS a saloon wub.png

btw John V have a look at reclaimed finger parquet it can be god cheap and looks great. Take a long time to lay it took me about an hour per sq.metre..

Normally about 10mm is ideal

Got cheap

Thanks for that magnetman that might suit me...at the moment I have self adhesive plastic wood look strips you would think sick.gif but actually they look quite good but it was only ever going to be a temporary measure (3 years agolaugh.png ) (big boats are great but the quantities needed when doing anything is terrifying)

Rachel, I've seen this floor fitted in a boat and it looked very smart.

Unfortunately, the finish was less than smart and it scuffed up badly and needed to be refinished within 18 months as water was penetrating the wood and staining it. I'd endorse the suggestion of recycling finger parquet, if it's come from a public building it's often Maple, refinishes to brilliant shine and is rock hard. It's a sod to lay, but worth it.

Edited by wrigglefingers

Last sentence

;) so true

Also I think for 35sq metres you'll need a fairly.big vehicle as mine.(9mm thick.120mmx24mm 5 finger) was about one square metre per coal bag/rubble sack.

I would be careful to get at least 9 or 10mm. I also got some 7mm to do the bedroom and bathroom and it is a bit 'tinny' compared with the thicker stuff.

Edited by magnetman

It does look nice but Aaaarrrgggghhh !!! the price !!! I just worked out it would be over £3k for the saloon ! One day I will find something that I like, is thin enough and doesn't cost the national debt

We don't need much as its only a small area of flooring we plan to do in the saloon and galley. We calculated that 3 packets would give us a bit spare so £276.

Rachel, I've seen this floor fitted in a boat and it looked very smart.

Unfortunately, the finish was less than smart and it scuffed up badly and needed to be refinished within 18 months as water was penetrating the wood and staining it. I'd endorse the suggestion of recycling finger parquet, if it's come from a public building it's often Maple, refinishes to brilliant shine and is rock hard. It's a sod to lay, but worth it.

Hmm. That doesn't sound great!

Although, if Liam is having to retreat the cockpit teak once a year he could always do the cabin teak at the same time biggrin.png

ETA: I like the sound of the parquet flooring. But where do you get that from?

Edited by Naughty Cal