Immersion Heat up time

Glynn

Featured Posts

Well, according to the calculator it should take nearly 4 hours to heat 55 ltrs to 60c.

Yet every boat I have known ( and they all have a 1Kw immersion ) it takes less than an hour to be hot enough to be too hot to hold a hand under the tap.

Four & a half hours to heat from 10o to 80o assuming no heat loss during the heating period.

If powering the 1kw immersion via an inverter it will take approximately 450 amp hours.

Many years ago ( as a salesman) I had a small 'immersion' heater that plugged int the cigarette lighter in the car, you put the element into a cup of hot water to make a cup of tea - Basically - if I plugged it in when I left home in the morning, it just about got to temperature to make the tea when I got home in the evening.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Well, according to the calculator it should take nearly 4 hours to heat 55 ltrs to 60c.

Yet every boat I have known ( and they all have a 1Kw immersion ) it takes less than an hour to be hot enough to be too hot to hold a hand under the tap.

Possibly because you are only heating the water at the top of the tank, the calculator is for the full volume?

Ray

That is because the hot rises to the top. Certainly the water will be too hot to touch after an hour, but if you continue to run the tap it will run cold long before you have extracted 55 litres.

The problem I'm having is that my 55 litres is taking close on 8 hours to heat up with what I'm assuming a faulty 1Kw immersion.

If it's been switched on for 1 hour the water is just about tepid/barely warm.

Doesn't sound right. Do you have means of monitoring how much electricity it is using?

The problem I'm having is that my 55 litres is taking close on 8 hours to heat up with what I'm assuming a faulty 1Kw immersion.

If it's been switched on for 1 hour the water is just about tepid/barely warm.

Is it a newly installed element ?

Was it installed previously - if so how long did it take in the past ?

New cylinder/element/brand new boat.

Stat set to highest.

My 1kw Immersion Heater takes about an hour to heat enough water for a shower.

Thats exactly what our old boat was like & what others say on the marina.

So it must be a faulty element.

Which is part of the element, so new element required I guess.

Not on any immersion heater I have used. They have always been contained in a tube that forms part of the assembly. They can go wrong and can be replaced.

ETA Your problem could also be that you are heating a considerable amount of water. My immersion is fitted into the top of the tank and heats about the top 12 inches/305 mm.

Edited by Rich

As Rich says, could be the thermostat. Take the cover off the immersion, remove the 2 wires from the stat, link them together. If the immersion now heats the water ok it's a faulty stat. When doing this test, do not leave on for more than say 2 hours or the water may boil.

A 1 kW element will heat 15 litres of cold water from 10 deg C to 65 deg C in 1 hour.

or 1 kW element will take 3.5 hours to heat 55 litres of cold water from 10 to 65 deg C

But if you draw any hot / warm water off during this period, this will introduce cold water in the inlet mixing with the remaining hot water and will to take even longer to reach 65 deg C

but as previous posts it certainly appears that your stat is not working.