FREE FIREWOOD

Darren72

Featured Posts

The trouble with using pallets for firewood is that they are generally a sod to take apart, they are assembled using high-grip nails which are slightly weakened along their length so that they do not stay straight when they are fired into the pallet but divert off-course. I've burnt many a pallet and in the ash residue afterwards there are often nails which have been bent into a full circle during assembly.

It takes a certain skill and some time, but I've dismantled some pallets using a brick bolster, club hammer and claw hammer and got planks out of it which I'll be using in building my new shed. The nails can be hard to lever out, and sometimes the plank ends up splintered.

For firewood I'm sure a jigsaw cut across each plank alongside each block would be the way to go, dead easy to do.

I wouldn't want to burn pallet wood in a confined space unless (1) the fumes were all going to go outside or (2) I was confident it was untreated; some pallets are, some are not and you need to know what you have.

I've cut hundreds of the blimin' things for burning. I'm not sudgesting this is the best way as I know it's not to safe but for sure the quickest I found was by putting a small screw in the side of my skill saw to hold the gaurd open and then just glide along cutting.

Used the thick block bits to burn whole and the smaller slats would be split for kinderlin and keep some slates whole for when you need something between kinderlin and the first log.

Smoking cigs harms your health but doesnt stop folk. Xxxxxxxxxxxx If you dont want the pallets you dont pick them up obviously.

Reported

Ed to remove offensive language.

Edited by The Dog House

Don't get me wrong, it's a generous offer, it's just that pallets are a bit of a faff IMO. Best source for free wood in my experience is to have a word with the yard man in your local Travis Perkins, Jewsons etc and ask him if you can have a quick root around in the skip, all builders merchants throw an enormous amount of wooden bearers away, everything from concrete lintels to fence panels arrives stacked on bearers and they all just end up getting skipped.

Wow I would have never thought a bit of free fire wood could cause so much shit this is the second firewood post in a week to start turning sour,must be the long dark nights driving folk crazy, oh and I agree with all the posts above, they are all right apart from the one were Martin runs off to tell sir the other kids are being naughty, now light your fires and play nicely

• Greenie 1

Wow I would have never thought a bit of free fire wood could cause so much shit this is the second firewood post in a week to start turning sour,must be the long dark nights driving folk crazy, oh and I agree with all the posts above, they are all right apart from the one were Martin runs off to tell sir the other kids are being naughty, now light your fires and play nicely

Don't worry, the people having a pop at the OP are people who don't actually need or use firewood anyway.

I've cut hundreds of the blimin' things for burning. I'm not sudgesting this is the best way as I know it's not to safe but for sure the quickest I found was by putting a small screw in the side of my skill saw to hold the gaurd open and then just glide along cutting.

Used the thick block bits to burn whole and the smaller slats would be split for kinderlin and keep some slates whole for when you need something between kinderlin and the first log.

Precisely as he said!

The ones with HT stamped/painted on them are OK as they are heat treated, if they have not got this marking they could be chemically treated with 'stuff' (cannot remember the name) that is a carciogenic when burnt. - apparently one-whiff and you are dead

Edit :-

MB = Methyl Bromide fumigation

If a pallet is not marked it could be either HT or MB treated so recommended not to be used.

There is now an increasing use of 'sawdust / chips' to form the corner blocks - these are compressed with glue to form the blocks, but the glue can give off all sorts of nasties when burnt..

Edited by Alan de Enfield

When we was kids and dad got his first stove free "wood" was the best so spent ages walking around a building site he was working on collecting off cuts. On went the mdf..."cor kids come quick, look at this pretty blue colour the wood burns." Luckily it was the next day a chippy told him what it was that made the flame blue...

"Cor Blimey. If you dont want the pallets you dont pick them up obviously."

- yes, but this is the canalworld forum and in in-depth discussion is required. Things must be looked at from all angles, argued about, a slanging match started, someone to say let's get back to the original question (what was it?), pros & cons to be weighed... something about cats on boats...

By the way Grace&Favour, thanks for idea of rope in the locker for the gas bottles to stand on - going to try it, a coil of sisal in me rucksack already :)

(so that any water can drain away and not get trapped by the bottles' rims).

"Cor Blimey. If you dont want the pallets you dont pick them up obviously."

- yes, but this is the canalworld forum and in in-depth discussion is required. Things must be looked at from all angles, argued about, a slanging match started, someone to say let's get back to the original question (what was it?), pros & cons to be weighed... something about cats on boats...

You forgot the suggestion that there are other waterways forums available...

Don't worry, the people having a pop at the OP are people who don't actually need or use firewood anyway.

Even when I was selling wood and kindling, I wouldn't touch pallets, free or otherwise. Problem with the nails is that they get stuck in the grate.

These days I use either compressed chip blocks, or logs.

Well I went a winter burning nothing but pallets so there. There are these turny things on the front of my stove, they slow the burn down. Magic. You may also have some. Jigsaw was best for cutting up, with a super aggressive blade. I didn't touch the compressed sawdust ones.

Oh and big magnet gets nails out