Coventry Canal Bridge 75, Purpose of the built in "chamber"?

Richard Plester

Featured Posts

English heritage describes this grade II listed structure as having an "abutment to west pierced by small round-vaulted tunnel". Decent picture of it here..

http://canalplan.org.uk/photos/normal/i/im_jin.jpg

(Copyright cankay.org.uk)

Anyone know what the history and purpose of chambers such as this is? It has a hatch one side and what looks like a ventilation slot the other, graffiti on the hatch reads "Tea Room", though I wish this was true I doubt it ever has been smile.png

This is what you are thinking of, Marple Aqueduct being the example here:

gallery_6938_1_25435.jpg

Those are perforated spandrels, indeed a weight-saving device.

I thought a spandrel was a long-eared dog until I discovered Smirnoff.

Definitely for stop planks I was asked by the fore man at Hartshill yard if I would drop of 2 new planks there to the BW gang working at the bridge, as I was going in that direction, 1966 IIRC,again IIRC; the stop groves are at the next bridge hole in the Fradley direction, or they were those years ago.

The English Heritage listing credits the bridge to contractor Thomas Sheasby, which is consistent with canal records and is one of a group of listed bridges in this area. That this bridge has a tunnel chamber must be also linked to its location near Kettlebrook. South of this bridge the canal curves to cross the river Tame by an aqueduct. The reason for storing stop planks here would appear a sound one and I concur with all those others who said it was a stop plank store instead of structural reason.

Ray Shill