What's your secret to keeping food cool and fresh

Terryb

Featured Posts

Like so much else when it comes to boats and boating, what's best depends on how you intend to use the boat. On shore line for the majority of the time as liveaboards 240v fridge and freezer work a treat for us. The batteries are more than happy running them with the inverter when we're away because we don't stop for more than a couple of days at a time.

If you were going for the full off grid CC life then 12v MAY be the better option - more expensive but uses less of the precious buckets AH of leccy. Solar would be an absolute given unless you want to waste £££ on diesel and probably trash your batteries through inadequate charging. The more cash you have to throw at the problem, assuming you spend it on the right gear, the less of a problem it will be/ the less inventive you have to be. Like much else in life.

salt pork, salt beef, eggs dipped in wax, powdered milk, Benecol marge 'cos it doesn't go rancid quickly everything else in tins.

Aaaaah!!! The joys of a small yoghurt pot with only 100 buckets Ah of domestic electrickery

Freezer doesn't freeze though on shoreline guess I need to do summat to get temp down a bit. Wine is ok cos that only needs to cool.

Its all a learning curve I suppose. i do not tend to keep much in fridge..milk n yoghourt plus wine.

oh and i forgot chocolate

Edited by patty-ann

Or find a way to store food that needs to be cool against the base plate below the water line.

Not as good as a fridge, which I understand needs to be about 5 degrees C, but better than having stuff stand in ambient air temperature

We did that last year. I cut a hatch in the floor under a locker, removed a few bricks and the bottom plate acts as a cooler. As you say, not as good as the fridge, but useful. Especially good for cans of beer. During colder weather a curver box under the cratch is a great fridge.

Edited by Guest

Freezer doesn't freeze though on shoreline guess I need to do summat to get temp down a bit. Wine is ok cos that only needs to cool.

Its all a learning curve I suppose. i do not tend to keep much in fridge..milk n yoghourt plus wine.

Oh dear Pat sorry to hear your freezer does'nt freeze, my Shoreline (brand) normally holds at minus 20 to minus 22

Phil

Fridge runs fine with the solar (330W feeding 300AH batteries) in the summer. In spring and autumn we keep blue freezer packs in the tiny freezer compartment during the day (when the solar helps keep the batteries up), and turn the fridge off overnight and move these down into the fridge itself. During winter months food stays outside in large clip-sealed tupperwares. Only problem at this time of year is stopping stuff getting too cold; my milk was frozen this morning, had to wait a good ten minutes with the bottle by the stove before enough had thawed out for my tea, have moved it to the engine bay for tonight.

I have also just refloored my kitchen, and have done so with the addition of a wine cellar. Not had chance to start using it yet, but I have high hopes! To be honest it is just good storage space, things which might otherwise be taking up space in cupboards.

Just get a decent quality 12v fridge most of them use the same Danfoss compressor which these days are super efficient. If you don't need a big one the little Waeco fridge can be had for around £450. There's really no way to do it much cheaper than that even if you built your own like they do on yachts because it's all down to the cost of the compressor.

I have one of the small Waecos and I reckon it runs on average about 1.6 amps/hour ie about 40 amps over a 24 hour period.

How about putting your milk in a thermos flask as quickly as possible after purchase?

Of all the useful tips mentioned it this thread, this is the simplest, the most obvious, and the most likely to be overlooked by some of us (as Thermosses are generally perceived to be for keeping things hot and people forget that they can also keep things cold). Have a green top.

I ws making two separate points.

Firstly that that the term Amps per hour is meaningless, and secondly that if Phil actually meant Amphours this was equally meaningless UNLESS you state a period over which you are measuring. I apologise if I put it rather gracelessly but precision in technical matters is important for people to understand what one is saying.

Latterly Phil stated he was measuring over a period of 24 hours was so now, to state the two fridges together consume 70 to 80 Amphours of battery charge per day makes perfect sense.

Now we have a meaningful statement on energy consumption of your fridges Phil, could you tell the board what make and model fridges they are please? I'm interested because each of my own fridges seems to consume about 160 Amphours per day so if you're sure your figures are right at 40 Amphours per fridge, I'd like to buy fridges like yours!

Thank you.

MtB

The new generation Danfoss compressors are unbelievably efficient, it's something to do with the variable compressor speed. I've seen it stated variable speed compressors are 40% more efficient than "on/off" compressors.

I don't know when the technology changed though - about ten years ago?

I don't believe that...

biggrin.png

MtB

Very neat!

Reminds me of statements seen and heard in the media, along the lines of "He literally exploded with rage".

Edited by Athy

Two large nesting terracotta pots, with fine sand to hold them apart, the gap kept topped up with water, and covered in a muslin cloth. Keep out of the sun, but in a breeze. Reduces temperature by about 10C.

When we worked freight narrowboats we obviously had no room for fridges and kept milk etc on the cabin top covered in a cloth which we wetted when it got dry. It is the evaporation that creates the loss of heat, so you should not keep it topped up with water, simply rewet it when it is dry - the Osokool works in the same way. On Friesland in France we still do much the same with vegetables in the hot weather - just put them out on the stern deck in a basket with a cloth over them which we soak each time it becomes dry.

Tam

I made an ice cream motor bike & sidecar (Honda Dax Monkey bike) & I made a box from MDF & lined it with that black polystyrene stuff from B&Q & I was amazed that I could keep a block of ice (Old ice cream tub of tap water) in it for days....

You could make an Ice Box & just fill it with bags of ice from Tesco's etc & I would think a bag every 2 to 3 days in summer would be used...

My home made ice cream bike would keep my ices frozen all day in the summer with no problem....

The new generation Danfoss compressors are unbelievably efficient, it's something to do with the variable compressor speed. I've seen it stated variable speed compressors are 40% more efficient than "on/off" compressors.

I don't know when the technology changed though - about ten years ago?

. I think they became much more efficient when they started using buckets instead of amps as although the initial cost is greater they last much longer

Boating does not mean camping.

Phil

I refuse to go camping as last time I had to tie my dog to my foot to stop her escaping and chasing rabbits!!! Never again. I also refuse to give up any of my gadgets I had in the house, But with carful planning am able to run everything either on or off grid.

I refuse to go camping as last time I had to tie my dog to my foot to stop her escaping and chasing rabbits!!! Never again. I also refuse to give up any of my gadgets I had in the house, But with carful planning am able to run everything either on or off grid.

Ha sounds like my old girl, she would do this too if you didn't keep an ear out all night long for her nosing the zip open.

I'm loving the thread as I'm very torn between having a 12v fridge and hoping for the best regarding the solar panels keeping it going or just going without a fridge until technology improves. Would be nice not to have the whuring noise of a fridge.

The only issue I remember hear about with the terrocota pots is that the ambient temp needs to be quite high to facilitate evaporation. Some part of the UK may not get high enough for this method to work efficiently sadly or else it would be my first choice.

My shoreline freezes well. Temp setting always on 2.

You see. . . . That is why I started this thread. I didn't at the time I started it, realise just how far it would go. The plain truth is, I am so so naive (read ignorant) about boating life, I am/was panicking. Thanks forall your imput and suggestions. However, I am now concerned with the life of batteries and charging rates and Amp/Hours .... Oh dear, I need to lie down again.

Anyway, the wait is nearly over, I will pick up my boat Alfie on Friday the 6th of March. Wish me luck.