What's your secret to keeping food cool and fresh

Terryb

Featured Posts

The question really is in the title. So can anyone give me their experiences in storing food and milk etc

Sorry but isn't the answer 'put it in a fridge'

What am I missing?

What are you missing, maybe someone who hasn't got a fridge maybe, to which the answer is for 8 months of the year your fine cause it's cold enough outside but for the rest of the year buy chilled food if and when needed.

Darren

I just noticed the tags 'fridge' 'freezer' 'milk'

So wondered why he had not considered the obvious. Perhaps if he had asked 'how do you keep food fresh when you don't have a fridge or freezer' it might have been clearer?

Or find a way to store food that needs to be cool against the base plate below the water line.

Not as good as a fridge, which I understand needs to be about 5 degrees C, but better than having stuff stand in ambient air temperature

The question really is in the title. So can anyone give me their experiences in storing food and milk etc

Hi there,

You will find most narrowboats have a 12volt fridge that runs from the domestic battery bank.

Some fridges also run from the LPG supply but this is rather old school now.

Boats with an Inverter ( converts 12v DC to 240v AC) or generator can use a household fridge.

Cheers Bill

Two large nesting terracotta pots, with fine sand to hold them apart, the gap kept topped up with water, and covered in a muslin cloth. Keep out of the sun, but in a breeze. Reduces temperature by about 10C.

Top old school tip, nice. We had been wondering about what to do when aboard for a long time and the fridge is full up, now we know.

When staying on an ex-working boat with no fridge I keep milk and butter on the base plate, near to one of the sides and it keeps fine for several days. It is much easier on my boat with a 12v fridge freezer though.

Top old school tip, nice. We had been wondering about what to do when aboard for a long time and the fridge is full up, now we know.

remember to blind the holes with masking tape, then fill with car body filler.

I bought 2 pots for under £20 at the local garden shop, inside volume is about 10litres.

Edited by Murflynn

The boat my parents had in the 1960s had an Osokool Fridge.

osokool.jpg

osokool.jpg

Basically an aluminium liner inside a block of plaster, you kept the depression in the top filled with water which soaked through the whole block and evaporated from the surface and kept the interior cool.

The boat my parents had in the 1960s had an Osokool Fridge.

osokool.jpg

osokool.jpg

Basically an aluminium liner inside a block of plaster, you kept the depression in the top filled with water which soaked through the whole block and evaporated from the surface and kept the interior cool.

My parents used to have one of those on their boat, don't remember ever getting food poisoning so must of worked.

I read this as the OP needs advice from the wet tea towel brigade of keeping food without a fridge and good advice has been given . I dont have a fridge and it's no real problem . In very hot weather it might be good but they use too much electric for somebody with only one leisure battery

We have a problem during Autumn and Spring. Summer's fine - we have enough from our solar panels to run the fridge. Winter's fine - it's cold enough to put all our perishables in the cupboard where our plates are cold enough to freeze our food before we can eat it unless we put them on the stove first..

At this time of year and in the spring we don't have enough sun to run the fridge and it isn't cold enough outside to keep the perishables from going off. We've just had to bin a load of soft cheeses because we got a bit complacent and have to switch now from fresh milk to long life stuff.

Obviously if you can hook up to the mains it isn't a problem, but when you're living off your batteries it is - especially when you're not moving the boat (before anyone jumps on me we've been in a marina without the benefit of hook up for the last few months)

New batteries are on our spring shopping list - until then we make do as best we can. We don't buy perishable goods and live out of cans until the sun shines bright enough for us to turn on our 12v fridge again.

Edited by Ange

Call me old fashioned, but I keep chilled stuff in the fridge and frozen stuff in the freezer! ninja.gif

Are you hooked up to mains electricity? If not can you tell my hubby how that works - not trying to be funny but after 5 years of only having the fridge running during the summer and having no freezer I would dearly love you to tell him that we can. Please.

I miss my freezer big time - it's the only thing that living on a boat has made me feel deprived of.

The important thing is to answer the OP's question isn't it?

Hey Terryb why the question - that would really help us to help you

We'll still probably disagree though - such is the nature of the forum

Edited by Ange

We didn't have a fridge at home until 1975, and my mother used to keep milk cool year round by standing the bottles in a few inches of water in a bucket on the back doorstep, a spot which was always in the shade. On a canal I imagine a metal bucket dangling in the water, in the shade of course, might work quite well when there isn't enough oomph from solar power in the batteries to power a fridge, because the water should be not too far above fridge temperature during spring and autumn, and metal will conduct heat, plastic won't.

Hi Ange, to be honest I've never tried a marina with no hook up so can't really say what the secret is but we have always had a 12v fridge and ditto freezer. Never had to turn them off, when we cruise power is never a problem but I suspect a powerless berth might be, the combined consumption of the cold kit is circa 70a/h to 80a/h we have 300watts PV array to help things along, engine runs a 90amp alternator, we do have a inboard diesel genny but never use it, domestic battery bank of 660amp capacity. Pykebird may well tell it differently

Phil

Ange, In the 4 years since I have re done the boat, only been able to use hook up for about a year. From day one I have ran both fridge and freezer, although in this weather I have turned both down. Fridge is on 2, freezer on 2.

This winter I will be on my original mooring, with no hook up and far too many trees so not great solar power! So the downside is I will have to run the engine for about 2 hours to re charge and get hot water.

The only time I have ever turned off the fridge or freezer off is to clean it.

I have 4 x 110 gel batteries, 95 amp alternator and 3x 125 watts solar. None of the equipment was cheap but I spent my money on the set up before I painted and did the inside. I bought second hand if I could and keep my eye out for bargains, not called pyke for nothing!wink.png

If you guys are coming to buckby you are welcome to have a nose around.

On Juno, which admittedly is fibreglass and may therefore respond differently, I used to put milk and butter under the cupboards against the skin of the boat below the waterline. The butter never melted, the milk was okay for about 24 hours but best bought in the evening to make sure the morning coffee (before the nearby shop opened at 7am) was okay, it wouldn't last daytime on a baking hot day even against the skin.

I never had the nerve to dangle my milk over the side into the canal, but that might have worked better. from the temperature viewpoint.