Nobody hurt thankfully

Boaty Jo

Featured Posts

The initial outflow from Kegworth deep is very swift due to the depth of the lock, the boat drops swiftly and the cill is much further out than most of the other locks the boaters will have done so far.

It only takes a few seconds to cill, and if the lower paddle operator had wandered back to the boat, another few seconds to rush back and drop (they don't, need to be wound down) the paddles.

Edited by matty40s

I wonder if James Griffin really said, or believes, this statement . . . attributed to him in a newspaper article : --

'Managing director James Griffin said the couple who hired the narrowboat were 'experienced boaters', but were caught out by the depth of the lock, which was several feet deeper than the average lock. He said the couple had been 'quite unlucky'.

There seems to have been a lot of boats sinking in locks this year . . . is it about average, or have there been more than usual?

Bear with me as I'm very new to this, but surely you should notice that something was going wrong long before the boat got to that angle and just close the paddles?

I'll remind you of this post if it ever happens to you. You might have a bit of empathy for someone on a scary and confusing situation.

No, hang on, silly me, it's you, you don't do empathy.

I'm glad you were born knowing everything.

I wonder if James Griffin really said, or believes, this statement . . . attributed to him in a newspaper article : --

'Managing director James Griffin said the couple who hired the narrowboat were 'experienced boaters', but were caught out by the depth of the lock, which was several feet deeper than the average lock. He said the couple had been 'quite unlucky'.

There seems to have been a lot of boats sinking in locks this year . . . is it about average, or have there been more than usual?

Experience can breed complacency....... And of course there are many distractions out there.......

Sheesh.....southern star was asking a genuine question. There was no need to answer him in the way some of you did. Grrr.

and to answer his question....it all happens much quicker than you think....seconds....and you're in real trouble...many of us have had near misses. My boat caught on a brick on the lock wall. Frightening.

Edited by DeanS

It is very scary when you realise the boat is stuck whist emptying or filling a lock. I'm glad it turned out Ok in the end.

I wonder sometimes how much 'training' people get when they hire a boat these days. If you ensure there is one person manning each open paddle some of these incidents could be avoided but in practice it isn't always possible. I prefer to use just one paddle if I'm solo for this reason but then again it does slow things down. Also if you have a very leaky gate, shutting off the paddles might not help.

It is very scary when you realise the boat is stuck whist emptying or filling a lock. I'm glad it turned out Ok in the end.

I wonder sometimes how much 'training' people get when they hire a boat these days. If you ensure there is one person manning each open paddle some of these incidents could be avoided but in practice it isn't always possible. I prefer to use just one paddle if I'm solo for this reason but then again it does slow things down. Also if you have a very leaky gate, shutting off the paddles might not help.

Wyvern Shipping usually give more instruction than most other hire-companies.

We left a paddle open whilst going down a lock on the Nene. Those manual wheels that take 150 turns didn't help either. It's amazing how quick it can go wrong. Luckily no harm done, just lots of smashed plates & glasses & spilt milk & sugar, & drawer contents dumped, & 12 smashed eggs. Real glad I want standing in the arc of the tiller, I would be dead else!

Wyvern Shipping usually give more instruction than most other hire-companies.

Agreed. We didn't get much because of previous experience but they were very good with the couple who left at the same time as us. They took them through the lock and explained everything several times.