Nobody hurt thankfully

Boaty Jo

Featured Posts

So how would go about , in his words, flooding the well deck "by water spouting from leaky gates or paddles" if the stem was against the bottom gates?

Perhaps he might have meant the stern deck! I think I'll stay with my original guess that if you tried to put the bows against the top gates when going down you'd end up on the cill, don't you think?unsure.png

Perhaps he might have meant the stern deck! I think I'll stay with my original guess that if you tried to put the bows against the top gates when going down you'd end up on the cill, don't you think?unsure.png

Well, quite frankly I think what he's posted is complete drivel from beginning to end . . . don't you?

He also seems to think that you and I have somehow merged to become one person !

Edited by tony dunkley

How on earth can you flood the well deck heading down a lock?

So how would you go about , in his words, flooding the well deck "by water spouting from leaky gates or paddles" if the stem was against the bottom gates?

Well, quite frankly I think what he's posted is complete drivel from beginning to end . . . don't you?

He also seems to think that you and I have somehow merged to become one person !

You had it right. Complete drivel.. ..

I have now corrected it to say what I mean.

I was intending talking about bows against the top gate (going up) and also bows against the bottom gate (going down) Neither a good idea. I was frequently interrupted, (about 15 times, I have building contractors in the house) and abandoned the post unsent to correct later.

When I came back to it some hours (drinks) later I forgot that it needed correction and posted. Then again without reading I put in the final edit

Simple really. However, I would have thought that had you guys looked at the time of my post you may have figured it outsad.png

The crossed names was intentional you both seemed to be saying the same thing.

Edited to add: I have just re-read my earlier post once again and decided, yes, I deserve a complete slagging from you all!

I do stand by the latter half of my post. I would not trust anybody at the bottom gate to tell me that my stern gear was clear of the cill, he can't see the stern fender, let alone the stern gear and would be guessing. If he takes responsibility for opening the bottom paddles then he should first take a little walk to the top gate to make sure.

Edited by Radiomariner

I was trying to work that one out too, but from the first sentence in the Post it sounds as if he thinks it's usual for some people to turn their boats round and go down locks stern first . . .

quote : -- " many boaters do not wish to bump their boats stem against the top gates all the way down "

. . . . that would give you the opportunity to flood a forward well deck if you really wanted to. It's a funny way to go about working locks, but I suppose it takes all sorts.

If you follow the Pennine Waterways link I gave earlier you will see that that is exactly what some 60 ft boats have to do to get down the two upper locks at Salterhebble.

"The two upper Salterhebble Locks are the shortest on the whole canal. It is occasionally necessary for a boat to go down these locks backwards. It is possible to wind above and below these two locks."

If you follow the Pennine Waterways link I gave earlier you will see that that is exactly what some 60 ft boats have to do to get down the two upper locks at Salterhebble.

"The two upper Salterhebble Locks are the shortest on the whole canal. It is occasionally necessary for a boat to go down these locks backwards. It is possible to wind above and below these two locks."

That would seem to be in agreement with what I said earlier in Post 186 . . . I think 57' 6'' is about the length for there, so 60 foot is overlength for the waterway isn't it?

Edited by tony dunkley