Nobody hurt thankfully

Boaty Jo

Featured Posts

And who is going to pay for all these lock keepers and additional lengthsmen?

Let me guess, the licence payers with increased licence fees.

Well done Tony making everyone pay extra.

They would be instead of not in addition to the Enforcement Orifices, as I said on Post 165. It's a method that worked alright before, with the added benefit of getting the now totally neglected day to day routine maintenance done.

But we haven't had lots of lock keepers for many years, so there will be more needed to be more employed, and the licence payers are the ones who would need to pay for them.

Yes, and look at the bloody awful state most locks are now in as a result.

I'll just have more attempt at getting the point across . . . not having the Enforcement Orifices would save £2.7 million pa. that could be spent on lockeepers and lengthsmen, who could also check boat Licences, as they used to do.

Check your history, Tony, there were not keepers at every lock, or even every flight of locks.

Whatever is said you will be against any enforcement by CRT, as it doesn't suit your ideal.

I don't need to check anything. What you say about lockeepers is true, but also irrelevant because I haven't suggested putting keepers at every lock.

As far as your second comment goes . . . I don't think it's for you to say what I am for or against, or what suits me. You don't know me and you don't know what my opinions are, but as you just seem to want to quibble about whatever's said whilst having nothing useful to contribute yourself, I think I'll follow the very sensible example of many others and just completely ignore you.

Checking that the boat is clear of the cill when going downhill is the last thing to do before drawing the bottom paddles, and the person best placed to do that is whoever happens to be at the bottom gates to draw up.

I agree it's the last thing to check but the guy at the bottom gates is hardly in a good position to see what is going on at the other end of the lock. We always use the system of the guy on the tiller giving the signal that he/she is ready for the paddles to be drawn once he/she is happy that the boat is in the right position.

I agree it's the last thing to check but the guy at the bottom gates is hardly in a good position to see what is going on at the other end of the lock. We always use the system of the guy on the tiller giving the signal that he/she is ready for the paddles to be drawn once he/she is happy that the boat is in the right position.

A very sensible precaution if you have reason to think that your boat may have increased in length since going through the last lock.

Thank you Tony and Sabcat that made me smile ... and yes I suppose I was being pedantic! But if I am to coninue as a pedant I must point out that the last lock might have been longer than this one!

Thank you Tony and Sabcat that made me smile ... and yes I suppose I was being pedantic! But if I am to coninue as a pedant I must point out that the last lock might have been longer than this one!

You are, in fact quite right, on some waterways there is the odd lock shorter than the rest, but now I'm going to get pedantic and say, only if you have a boat longer than the designed maximum length for the waterway you're on will you have a problem.

You are, in fact quite right, on some waterways there is the odd lock shorter than the rest, but now I'm going to get pedantic and say, only if you have a boat longer than the designed maximum length for the waterway you're on will you have a problem.

OK so I've gone through Wakefield Road Bridge on the Huddersfield Narrow heading towards Calder and Hebble in my 60' foot boat, am I going to get through?? Have the locks got shorter? my boat got longer? or will I fit diagonally?? Pedantry now becomes reality!!!

OK so I've gone through Wakefield Road Bridge on the Huddersfield Narrow heading towards Calder and Hebble in my 60' foot boat, am I going to get through?? Have the locks got shorter? my boat got longer? or will I fit diagonally?? Pedantry now becomes reality!!!

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/calder/locks.htm

Not quite sure of the point you're making there.

Not quite sure of the point you're making there.

I think you'll find David Mack above gave the answer, yes it is possible but great care is needed with someone on the lockside prepared to drop the paddles at a moments notice if it all goes a bit wrong. And the guy at the helm is the one who will know when it's all gone wrong!!

I think you'll find David Mack above gave the answer, yes it is possible but great care is needed with someone on the lockside prepared to drop the paddles at a moments notice if it all goes a bit wrong. And the guy at the helm is the one who will know when it's all gone wrong!!

Are you just saying that if your boat's a bit over length for a lock, then you have to be extra careful?

Of course if we're doing pedantry, if the boat is over length for a lock it won't fit, will it?? What I might be saying is that if it is tight one might need to be a bit careful ohmy.png

Now we've established what you're saying, lets have a try at why you're saying it, other than what looks like a need for stating the blindingly obvious.

What Tony/ Vagabond does not seem to understand is that many boaters do not wish to bump their boats stem against the top gates all the way down. It can be damaging to the gate as well as the boat. There is a chance of bow fender catching on the gate resulting in breaking fender stays or more disastrous results. They may not wish to Flood the well deck by water spouting from leaky gates or paddles or, as often happens when water levels are high, over the top. Most boats do not need the full length of the lock and may stop in the middle of the lock for a number of reasons. The best person to tell me that the bow is clear of the gate is the guy at the bottom gate I would not trust any "know it all" to open a paddle because he thinks he can tell where my stern is in relation to the cill.

I HAVE stuck on the cill once on a 46ft boat. The guy owning the tupperware boat in the lock ahead of me did not understand why I was asking him to move his boat forward and ordered his wife and son to fully open both paddles! Their response to my shout "drop the paddles" was to shout back "Why"!!!

Edited to add: -

Congratulations Tony. Your pointless sarcastic 'PS' (Post 157) was, as you intended, offensive.

Edited by Radiomariner

How on earth can you flood the well deck heading down a lock?

I was trying to work that one out too, but from the first sentence in the Post it sounds as if he thinks it's usual for some people to turn their boats round and go down locks stern first . . .

quote : -- " many boaters do not wish to bump their boats stem against the top gates all the way down "

. . . . that would give you the opportunity to flood a forward well deck if you really wanted to. It's a funny way to go about working locks, but I suppose it takes all sorts.

I was trying to work that one out too, but from the first sentence in the Post it sounds as if he thinks it's usual for some people to turn their boats round and go down locks stern first . . .

quote : -- " many boaters do not wish to bump their boats stem against the top gates all the way down "

. . . . that would give you the opportunity to flood a forward well deck if you really wanted to. It's a funny way to go about working locks, but I suppose it takes all sorts.

I would suggest that he meant bumping the boats stem (prefer bow) against the bottom gates all the way down. You should have spotted that if you were to bump against the top gate all the way down you'd end up with your bows on the cill, wouldn't you?

I would suggest that he meant bumping the boats stem (prefer bow) against the bottom gates all the way down. You should have spotted that if you were to bump against the top gate all the way down you'd end up with your bows on the cill, wouldn't you?

So how would you go about , in his words, flooding the well deck "by water spouting from leaky gates or paddles" if the stem was against the bottom gates?

Edited by tony dunkley