Liverpool is fantabulous

Theo

Featured Posts

Planned on going to Liverpool on Friday morning, now looks doubtful as we are stopped below Poolstock locks on the Leigh branch.

Been here since 11.00 this morning. It seems there is no water in Wigan.

We were stuck from 08:00 this morning on the other side of Wigan. I can confirm there was not enough water above lock 88. The bywash is on the right.

DSCF1980.jpg

Edited by Alway Swilby

Been in Salterhouse Dock for four days now. If you haven't been here you don't know what you are missing!

Been there twice, loved it, stayed longer the second time. Tried to go again this summer for two weeks, but all pontoons already booked for our preferred dates. Planning on going again next Spring. What a fantastic location at the end of an amazing canal journey.

Can only agree with how fantastic Liverpool is-we were booked in for a week but stayed for 11 day.Loved the museums,shops,cobbled side streets,cathedrals and excellent,cheap transport system(went to Chester & E Port boat museum by train).Loved it all !

Trina

Tt

Edited by The Bearwood Boster

To travel in by boat is a real treat. What a fantastic experience. The CRT staff on the ground and in the office could not be more friendly or helpful. It really is a MUST do. This year was our second visit. We will return.

We left Salthouse Dock last Saturday after 2 weeks, had a great time, journey in and out was non eventful i.e. nowt round the prop.

Keep an eye on your anodes if they are magnesium, ours started fizzing after a few days in the salt water !!!!

I've only been to Liverpool by truck, and it is one of the most depressing places to go, apart from South Wales.

South Wales was great when I drove a truck there (except that the sat nav kept saying I was in the water). Liverpool is also good. I met a pupil who recognised me from teacher training and came up and (re)introduced herself in the slavery museum on a day off while she was waiting for A level results. That added a gloss to an already good day!

What depresses you? Knowing that things have improved so much since the bad old days, or knowing that the old days, now gone, were so bad?

Enjoy what we have. "You've never had it so good!"

Roger

Ed to add that it was hard to park when we went there to get passports, but that ended well - and we had a good holiday abroad.

R

Edited by MyLady

We were stuck from 08:00 this morning on the other side of Wigan. I can confirm there was not enough water above lock 88. The bywash is on the right.

DSCF1980.jpg

Liverpool is indeed a great shout, did the link a few years ago and I have it in mind to go back again sometime.

Wigan not having any water in it, however, is also very much of interested at it is where I too planned to be this weekend.

Any further info on that?

Daniel

One of the several highlights of our visit was the tour to the Old Dock. This was the first enclosed dock in the whole world! It started Liverpools journey to prosperity. The tour guides are two knowledgeable and entertaining scowse archaeologists. You book in at the maritime Museum and it is, like most things there, free.

N

We left Salthouse Dock last Saturday after 2 weeks, had a great time, journey in and out was non eventful i.e. nowt round the prop.

Keep an eye on your anodes if they are magnesium, ours started fizzing after a few days in the salt water !!!!

I knew most people who have been here would love it, but I would say that I'm a scouser.

And it was great to meet up while you where here Bazza, loved the boat

Liverpool is indeed a great shout, did the link a few years ago and I have it in mind to go back again sometime.Wigan not having any water in it, however, is also very much of interested at it is where I too planned to be this weekend.Any further info on that?Daniel

Wigan was all ok this afternoon. Who knows about tomorrow though? We've escaped there now and will be on the Bridgewater tomorrow.

Our anodes have also suffered from the salt water...but it was worth it !On a different note- I could not believe the number of moon jellyfish swimming round the dock-very odd !

Trina

The jellyfish didn't seem to bother this guy, saw him most mornings around 7 ish

IMG_0007_zpsbbb412fd.jpg