Test cruise

Cheshire cat

Featured Posts

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a boat. I had a look around a couple of possibilities yesterday as well as others that I dismissed.

Is it normal to ask to take a boat out to see how it handles?

I would be kicking myself if I bought something that looked good but handled badly. The boat I have most recent experience of was particularly wayward in reverse.

Over the years I have bought at least four cars without test driving them. laugh.png

I think the question I am trying to ask is will a broker expect me to want to go out on the boat. Is it the norm?

I think it varies so much from broker to broker.

When I bought my current boat, the broker seemed to think that the job consisted of getting me to sign a piece of paper as a receipt for the keys and pointing out which pontoon the boat was moored on.

I couldn't have nicked the boat anyway as all the batteries were as flat as witches wotsits.

I never took the boat I have made the offer on for a test run, but a did do with a couple of other boats I looked at via private sellers..

But the one I have made the offer on I did ask to see the engine running and it started first time.

Well it did after the broker remembered to reconnect the batteries lol.

Hi,

I think it's fair to ask for a test run, although the point about length of boat and winding holes is reasonable.

I think a run of about 2 hours is fair (assuming you are serious), gives everything a chance to warm up and for you to make up your mind.

I am often amazed at the attitude of sellers and buyers over houses and boats - nothing should be too much trouble to effect a sale.

However, with my current (and last) boat, I virtually purchased it as soon as I saw the advert (WW Aug 2005) and after much aggro finalised the deal - although we did go for a run around the Brayford pool.

L

Edited by LEO

I didn't test drive mine. I did spend a couple of hours with the owners going over anything and everything. That was followed up by a full survey. It had been about 10 years since I had last skippered a narrow boat so I doubt my skills would have showed up many problems.

Dave

Edited by DustyDave

I asked at Wilton for a test drive on 2 different boats. 1 they refused point blank, the other boat they agreed but I had to come back another day as the batteries were flat. When I came back the engine had already been running as it was warm, but they just couldnt get it started even though the batteries were charged. Needless to say I didnt get that 1.
The boat I did buy from elsewhere, the previous owner took me out for a test drive without me even asking. He also spent several hours showing me everything about the boat, all this before I had put a deposit down or agreed to buy it.

Lots probably hangs on the list price of the boat. If I was selling a big VGC boat for lots of money then I'd expect to satisfy the wishes of the customer more than if I was selling an old cheapie. -Largely because a "test drive" takes a couple of hours of time and a fatter commission would cover that but commission on a 8K boat wouldn't.

Good point Arthur. We are talking about a 40K purchase. They will let me scoot around the marina, if I put a deposit down I can take it on the canal. Nearest winding point is one mile and a lock away.

If the boat is still for sale tomorrow I will give it a second look.

With cars I often go by history, length of tax/MOT, number of owners, general condition then a short run if im not sure.

I guess in this day and age everyone wants something for either nothing or the bare minimum, how annoyed would you be if you took someone out on boat for an hour, used your time, diesel in the boat for the person to turn around and say no thanks? Ive had it done to me with cars a few times, took them down off advertising, paid to have them valeted, took time off work to get a sale only to be messed about :(

If I was selling my boat and someone bought it without wanting to go out on it I'd think they were weird tbh.

Weird money is as good in the bank as straight money.

The people to whom I recently sold my Springer did not test drive her, and they were far from weird. Mind you, the boat was on hard standing which would have made the test chug a bit tricky (but which made their survey easier and cheaper).

With cars I often go by history, length of tax/MOT, number of owners, general condition then a short run if im not sure.

I guess in this day and age everyone wants something for either nothing or the bare minimum, how annoyed would you be if you took someone out on boat for an hour, used your time, diesel in the boat for the person to turn around and say no thanks? Ive had it done to me with cars a few times, took them down off advertising, paid to have them valeted, took time off work to get a sale only to be messed about sad.png

If I was not sure about buying a car, I'd not go on a test drive. If I was sure about the car, but the only thing remaining an unknown before buying it was a final check over to see how it performs, handles, any unusual noises, etc then I'd test drive but this is always the last thing to do before committing to buying.