Moorings at 3 locks

bigcol

Featured Posts

Where did I say they were reinstated?

Sorry I have probably misunderstood.....

"they were there when we passed last week"

So the implication is that they have been very recently removed by someone, (i.e. since last week)?

There were no 2 day signs at the top of the Three Locks when we came past on Saturday; there was a gap where the sign used to be. There were also just two boats there, one moored and one just arriving from the top lock.

At the bottom, the 2 day signs were still there. There were no boats on the 2 day moorings, but there were several moored beyond.

Looks like the new mooring limits have made no difference to the pub's business time for Richard Parry and and James Griffin to pop in for another pint and work on plan B. Maybe setting a distance boaters travel to get to the pub might help seems to be the new thing.

Out of curiosity, is there anything in law stopping CRT from putting up any sign they like? Could they for example put 24 hour restrictions up everywhere and have the powers to enforce it?

Conversely, is there anything in law stopping notices being taken down by anyone? Presumably it would be treated as criminal damage...

I apologise for not researching it myself but I can only manage plain English..and that's a struggle sometimes...

24/48 hour day restriction notices will be worth a lot of money on eBay in a few years time. Look at railway memorabilia...

Unfortunately the real memorabilia, and those attracting high prices because of their rarity, are likely to be the ones that said 14 days.

• Greenie 1

Another thinking the signs were attached by 4 screws.

If when removed by boaters consultation, by screw driver electric or manual, surely CRT cant reinforce the £25 pr 2 day rule, as these were no signs visible at the time of mooring?

Edited by bigcol

Something to add to this thread - when passing through 3 locks a few weeks ago, I did note that the pub had filled the nearest lockside with tables. There's an obvious, clear, fence separating pub from lockside, and they've put tables both sides of it, which meant I, as a single hander, had to negotiate kids, dumped bikes & bags whilst working the lock. What was the fence for again?

I mentioned this to the rather belligerent volunteer (claimed he was the lockkeeper, but wouldn't answer on whether he was actually a vol or not, been watching The Bargee too many times) who said 'it was nothing to do with CRT', but wouldn't say who had allowed it.

So this pub landlord is not only 'in charge' of moorings but free to fill the lockside with furniture, with or without CRT's blessing?

Something to add to this thread - when passing through 3 locks a few weeks ago, I did note that the pub had filled the nearest lockside with tables. There's an obvious, clear, fence separating pub from lockside, and they've put tables both sides of it, which meant I, as a single hander, had to negotiate kids, dumped bikes & bags whilst working the lock. What was the fence for again?

I mentioned this to the rather belligerent volunteer (claimed he was the lockkeeper, but wouldn't answer on whether he was actually a vol or not, been watching The Bargee too many times) who said 'it was nothing to do with CRT', but wouldn't say who had allowed it.

So this pub landlord is not only 'in charge' of moorings but free to fill the lockside with furniture, with or without CRT's blessing?

Those tables are to tie your centre line to. How nice of the pub to provide them.

I think they need notices on though

"PLEASE UNTIE BEFORE LEAVING LOCK"

Ummmm, earlier this week, on a lovely sunny evening, I managed to clear the lockside of the pub and the pound between the middle and bottom lock (there are tables all along there and the pub's beer garden is in one of the former side ponds of the bottom lock) ... I was descending the flight immediately after a boat had come up, so all the lock chambers were full and the pounds were well up ... Having entered the middle lock and raised the paddles to descend I noticed people below were leaving their tables in a hurry as the water overtopped the pound (not by much) and the landlord came out windlass in hand and proceeded to part-empty the bottom lock lest the side pond return to it's original function ....

Ummmm, earlier this week, on a lovely sunny evening, I managed to clear the lockside of the pub and the pound between the middle and bottom lock (there are tables all along there and the pub's beer garden is in one of the former side ponds of the bottom lock) ... I was descending the flight immediately after a boat had come up, so all the lock chambers were full and the pounds were well up ... Having entered the middle lock and raised the paddles to descend I noticed people below were leaving their tables in a hurry as the water overtopped the pound (not by much) and the landlord came out windlass in hand and proceeded to part-empty the bottom lock lest the side pond return to it's original function ....

volunteer mooring warden and volunteer enforcement officer now becomes voluteer lock keeper as well.

Richard Parry is doing well in his volunteer recruitment drive.

It's a wonder he has time to run his pub poor landlord..

Middle pound often used to flood, there is perhaps a good case for the side pond (sorry pub garden) to be restored.

That's good - the landlord can use it as a visual warning device that a boat may be about to moor on his controlled moorings.

I have had a phone conversation with Mathew Symonds this morning, (spelling of his surname corrected above!).

Rather than having email responses he has sent quoted on the forum or other social media, Matthew would prefer to add a page to the CRT South East Visitor Moorings website that explains the situation at Stoke Hammond Three Locks.

I have asked that this includes detail about monitoring and enforcement, and also about the fact it is claimed to be only for a trial period, and hence there needs to be some statement at the end about how that trial was measured, and whether it can be declared a success.

Matthew hopes to have this done by the end of the week, so once available, I'll publish a link.

Well it took nearly three times longer than hoped for, but here finally is the web page on the CRT site relating to the new VM arrangements at Stoke Hammond Three Locks.

Linky.

Interesting as it refers to a £25 extended stay charge, which I don't think there are any signs for, and which I thought they said would not apply to this trial. I will query that with him again.

It does spell out the monitoring as a CRT responsibilty, not a pub landlord/manager responsibility.

I'm still not happy about this whole event, but at least the above might go someway to clarifying what CRT claim this "trial" to be.

AS AN ASIDE:

The web page refers only to Stoke Hammond, with no reference to "Three Locks". Although "Stoke Hammond Three Locks" was the old boaters name, I believe, these days nearly everybody seems to call it "Soulbury Three Locks", (although the pub isn't very close to either, in fact). Most "modern day" boaters probably only think of Stoke Hammond as one lock to the North, about a mile away, and I'm guessing will probably not understand these arrangements relate to "Three Locks", unless they start looking up lock numbers