What to paint over Owatrol in bilge?

Odana

Featured Posts

I have finally rust-scraped and Owatrol-ed the horrid knobbly too-small-to-get-at-easily hole under the front deck where the bow thruster tube is - a job that would have been hard even if I was smaller, younger, lither and with no legs. I think I have soaked everywhere I can. *I* am certainly well-coated and waterproof now!

Next job to do before winter ... get down there again to paint it. I want whatever I put on to last as long as possible because I never ever ever want to do this job again. The area should be dry but rain occasionally gets in and water pipes run to the pump in there, so it has to be able to survive a wetting. Given how hijus the job is I don't mind spending money on a product if it means it lasts a long long time.

So - what should I use to overcoat Owatrol that is damp-proof, hardwearing when dry but also easy to apply enough that I can work it into hard-to-reach corners?

All recommendations gratefully received.

Chlorinated Rubber paint http://www.nwepaints.co.uk/acatalog/Chlorinated_Rubber___Pool_Paint.html

I used the Teamac one and you will need there primer under it but having said that I did a mates boat bilge with it on top of owo and it stuck fine

Noooooooo! I refuse to go down there two more times!

Chlorinated anything sounds lethal to breathe in a confined space.

I used International Bilge paint over owatrol. Brilliant stuff that's sticks to anything!

That's the stuff I was thinking of - couldn't remember what it was. I did have a can once - think I gave it away with my last boat (the one that I had *intended* to paint the engine hole of...)

Any more suggestions before I start shopping?

Edited by Odana

Amongst its many applications Owatrol oil can be used a metal 'paint' on its own so all you need to do now is a apply a second coat – job done. It can be applied using an old garden sprayer which might avoid further contortions!

For confirmation of what I'm stating you could contact Promain (one Owatrol's main suppliers) for Sales or Technical advice 01462 413545.

Within the classic tractor movement there is growing feeling that old tractors should not be stripped back to bare metal and given upteen coats of glossy paint. Rather that the patina of age should be preserved – so its a few coats of Owatrol oil over the prepared metal surface that is now becoming the popular approach.

I'm lazy and I do all those important places that are hard to get to and don't need a cosmetic covering with good old Waxoil. You can get sprayers but I just use the aerosols. A top up once a year or two and bobs your auntie.

Having rummaged thru' threads abouit painting the insides of water tanks, does this make sense, it's what I've comeup with finally (to this moment anyway): Fertan, then Danboline bilge paint? (we won't be drinking the water, just for washing-up & showers).

A job for next Summer, when we can be away from the boat whilst the stuff dries for those (two?) days...

Thanks all. Danboline is in the post. Next Saturday is booked for the hellhole. Once that's done then only replumbing down there remains, then hopefully we can close the lid and forget about it awhile.

Having rummaged thru' threads abouit painting the insides of water tanks, does this make sense, it's what I've comeup with finally (to this moment anyway): Fertan, then Danboline bilge paint? (we won't be drinking the water, just for washing-up & showers).

A job for next Summer, when we can be away from the boat whilst the stuff dries for those (two?) days...

You may not intend to drink the water, but might you (or someone else) use it for cooking, or brush your teeth with it?

Better to use a product intended for drinking water in the water tank, such as vactan or the appropriate grade of bitumen paint. Save the bilge paint for the bilges.

Danboline bilge paint, available in white or grey - it really is extremely good, easy to apply, hardwearing, and water/oil/fuel tolerant to boot!

It is also available in a lovely red (orangey red kind of vintage colour), My gas locker, back cabin bilge, front lockers, front deck, rear counter and back cabin roof is now this colour. The front cabin roof is now Danboline grey.

Nobody mentioned water tanks until Emerald Fox, water tanks need a specific kind of blacking , not just any kind of bitumen.

Odana wasnt referring to having painted her water tank.

• 3 months later...

Hi, picking up on this post:

Down in the bilge, I'd already treated rust with Fertan and applied a couple of coats of red oxide primer and was about to put down a couple of coats of Danboline Bilge paint, when someone mentioned adding Owatrol paint conditioner to the bilge paint.

Can it be mixed? (rather than separate coats as discussed above)

No reply from the International helpline.

Ta for any advice.

Edit: after a bit of research, I seem to have confused Owatrol CIP (Corrosive Inhibiting Primer) with Owatrol Paint Conditioner - Owatrol make a wide range of products.

Question still is, is Danboline oil or alkyd based? These two types may have the conditioner added.

Edit (2):

Answer from International - Danboline is an oil-based alkyd.

Edited by Sir Percy