favourite stretch of Thames.

Simon clarke

Featured Posts

Unfortunately not - as I recall it was a nice shiny stainless steel box, with its own fence and gate to stop the cattle damaging it..

I haven't used that one for many years. Nice to see they have put it in a modern and contemporary housing

Just meandered up the Thames from Richmondto lechlade. Was Absolutly blown away with the reach at cliveden. Moored up and walked up to the house. Views and house amazing. How many just motor past without exploring that amazing place. What's others favourite stretches?

The Cliveden reach is one of the best...

Going slightly off-topic into a tributary, basically punting on the Cherwell was a much more relaxing experience, but from what I remember I don't suppose a narrowboat could get far up that without running aground. Maybe past Magdalen Bridge, which has plenty of width and air draught and maybe enough depth; has anyone tried it? Parsons Pleasure, being a set of punt rollers alongside a weir, would be the absolute limit of navigation.

I don't know what the legal position is, but I suspect the riparian owners would have a view! I would guess one could take a narrowboat up the eastern branch where it meets the Thames - that is an artificial cut - but not get too much further.

In contrast, one is allowed to take a narrowboat up the Backs in Cambridge, in the winter. It's on my list of things to do ...

And the church is half - demolished as well. On the other hand there is quite a nice water point- just off this photo.

dscf3472.jpg

Yes but you have to moor going down stream to use it

The Cliveden reach is one of the best...

That is all horribly trees

In contrast, one is allowed to take a narrowboat up the Backs in Cambridge, in the winter. It's on my list of things to do ...

Done that there is a time laps video on my blog http://nbharnser.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/wednesday-31-october-2012.html

Edited by ditchcrawler

I don't know what the legal position is, but I suspect the riparian owners would have a view! I would guess one could take a narrowboat up the eastern branch where it meets the Thames - that is an artificial cut - but not get too much further.

The riparian owners would I imagine mostly be various colleges, plus perhaps the University itself in places. No doubt Nigel Moore could enlighten us as to the legal position of anyone taking a boat up there?

I can't remember whether the punts hired out at Magdalen Brige were just for Magdalen college or a public commercial operation, I think the latter, but anyway they might take a dim view of larger boats coming by. Your average student punter wouldn't mind at all so long as you go slowly; don't run them down and be careful not to create much wash. A bow wave is the punter's enemy. We students used to get a big discount, paying only a fraction of the tourist price, and as my college had their deal with the Cherwell boathouse, that was the one I often hired from.

On my one brief visit to Cambridge in September 1974 I went punting, but I think I was further up river from where your video was taken; less colleges, more quiet countryside.

On my one brief visit to Cambridge in September 1974 I went punting, but I think I was further up river from where your video was taken; less colleges, more quiet countryside.

That would be Granchester (tea at a quarter to three etc), upstream of the rollers (which are just around the corner from where Ditchcrawler turned around).

All of the Thames is wonderful, (or at least almost all of it), but we are currently exploring the Nene and that is even better.

I am amazed that less people explore and rave about this river.

...........Dave

We are also on the Nen (although today we are at home 300yds from the Nen) Should be on the Nene tomorrow depending on when we leave.

I agree its a stunning river but you do have to pick your times and avoid it after heavy rain.

I Love the Thames!!

Oxford to Lechlade it a bit of a journey in a Wide Beam with it being so twisty turny and a wee bit narrower than the river south of Oxford, but still some very lovely screenery & well worth the odd running aground.

We've just spent 3 days in Oxford and really enjoyed it. We were moored up outside the Punter Pub just north of Osney Lock. Lovely live in lock keeper, been there for years he tells me. Although I wouldn't say it was one of the prettiest moorings, I felt quite safe and secure there and it was an easy walk into the beautiful sites the city holds.

Favorite part of the Thames....well so far I'd have to say anywhere between Brentford to Oxford....Days Lock holds a very special memory for us now, and we enjoyed Maidenhead, Henley, Abingdon, Windsor, Goring, Sonning, Staines. Well that's so far, but this is only our first trip on the Thames mind :)

I Love the Thames!!

Oxford to Lechlade it a bit of a journey in a Wide Beam with it being so twisty turny and a wee bit narrower than the river south of Oxford, but still some very lovely screenery & well worth the odd running aground.

We've just spent 3 days in Oxford and really enjoyed it. We were moored up outside the Punter Pub just north of Osney Lock. Lovely live in lock keeper, been there for years he tells me. Although I wouldn't say it was one of the prettiest moorings, I felt quite safe and secure there and it was an easy walk into the beautiful sites the city holds.

Favorite part of the Thames....well so far I'd have to say anywhere between Brentford to Oxford....Days Lock holds a very special memory for us now, and we enjoyed Maidenhead, Henley, Abingdon, Windsor, Goring, Sonning, Staines. Well that's so far, but this is only our first trip on the Thames mind smile.png

And you got to meet me(and my Bird)

CT

We are also on the Nen (although today we are at home 300yds from the Nen) Should be on the Nene tomorrow depending on when we leave.

I agree its a stunning river but you do have to pick your times and avoid it after heavy rain.

Its got very little flow now but some of those bends and offset bridges are still tricky for our 71 foot, certainly would not want to be going downstream with any significant flow.

..........Dave

Cheerfully agree with you, had to re-visit to confirm my suspicions and Fotheringhay - what a dump! remains of a castle and a 'dodgy' bridge with bits chipped of it by various narrowboats.................

L

Yes, I was perhaps too positive about this River, the beer is not too good and the locals are indeed unfriendly: a few wrong ideas and the buggers cut your head off. Nice steam railway though the trains are all foreign.

...........Dave

Its got very little flow now but some of those bends and offset bridges are still tricky for our 71 foot, certainly would not want to be going downstream with any significant flow.

..........Dave

Yes, I was perhaps too positive about this River, the beer is not too good and the locals are indeed unfriendly: a few wrong ideas and the buggers cut your head off. Nice steam railway though the trains are all foreign.

...........Dave

NVR was used for the train scenes in octopussy.

Did you notice if there was a trip boat on wansford station mooring?

NVR was used for the train scenes in octopussy.

Did you notice if there was a trip boat on wansford station mooring?

No sign of a trip boat, We are travelling with friends so used all of the mooring pontoon between us, plus another boat moored alongside us. Left about 11am (Monday) . However a small crowd had gathered in the picnic area so not sure if it was a just picnic or if a trip boat was expected later.

Dave

The EA have kindly let a trip boat have priority at that site. No one has seen the bloody thing yet.

Much was made of the opening of wansford station mooring, its a nice place to stop if you can get on it - as you will know!

A lot of p!ssed off licence fee payers, the EA have essentially turned over a mooring fee payers paid for to a commercial enterprise.

Magpie Patrick wonders why I have a downer on the EA....

It was there last Sunday week when I was there with the grand kids

Weekends no go at NVR, great!

As I have said that I think the river through Oxford is disappointing, let me try and elaborate, and point out that my comments are mostly with respect to how good the river is both downstream (even in places you would think that it would not be, like Abingdon and Reading), and upstream. Don't get me wrong I like the Thames, but my impression of Oxford would have been very up market, and Abingdon and Reading very down market, but the feel from the river at least is exactly the opposite.

To illustrate a bit, going upstream from Iffley lock through Oxford (Images are from CanalPlanAC, under creative commons right to share)

Graffiti covered Donnington Bridge

gl_t5l.jpg

Untidy boat yard (there were many more scruffy boats there than in this image)

fn_05l.jpg

University boat houses, on the right then parkland with no mooring signs. Lots of scruffy boats moored on the left

cn_o51.jpg

vk_651.jpgcc_84q.jpg

Folly Bridge and surrounds is good, followed by a very drab man made channel with not particularly attractive modern (70's?) flats on right and terrace houses on left. Crossed by various bridges, not all of which are attractive!

co_v5l.jpga4je_0.jpga4je_1.jpg

Then Osney lock, who's only problem is that is seems to be about the only one on the lower river that is not routinely manned.

The short term moorings above the lock are convenient, but it is not really a river but a lock cut, the channel here in not much more than canal width. The right side is not particularly attractive, it currently seems to be derelict

78_3is.jpgjq7b_2.jpg

Then the "famous" low Osney bridge, which is in need of a lick of paint. Note the over hanging trees which now start to become a major feature

jq7b_1.jpgc6_d4s.jpg

The junction with the Sheepwash Channel (to the Oxford canal), the area is a mess and feels more like the Walsall Canal than the Thames

jeon_0.jpg

Upstream of Sheepwash the channel is narrow and very overgrown (currently worse than this image shows)

5t23_0.jpg

Then at Port Meadow the river opens out and you are through Oxford, and back into more typical pleasant Thames surroundings

m7r2_0.jpg

You might look at all this and say it looks great...

Yes, I do say it all looks great... I don't worry about a little bit of graffiti on a bridge!

Personally I don't want every bit of river looking manicured and pristine. What's wrong with scruffy boats? Plenty of them on the canals and a few on the river isn't going to hurt. And when have you ever been to a tidy boatyard? Boatyards are meant to be scruffy! It sounds like you want the character cleaned out of everything. Too many boatyards have been lost because of that way of thinking.

A bit of overgrowth is fine too as long as you can still get through. Trees and plants are natural features after all. If you think the Thames is overgrown around Oxford you should see some other rivers. The Warwickshire Avon is very overgrown and it's much narrower than the Thames to start with, but I can still get my widebeam through. It's meant to be overgrown to some extent - that's it's natural state.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

Yes, I do say it all looks great... I don't worry about a little bit of graffiti on a bridge!

Personally I don't want every bit of river looking manicured and pristine. What's wrong with scruffy boats? Plenty of them on the canals and a few on the river isn't going to hurt. And when have you ever been to a tidy boatyard? Boatyards are meant to be scruffy! It sounds like you want the character cleaned out of everything. Too many boatyards have been lost because of that way of thinking.

A bit of overgrowth is fine too as long as you can still get through. Trees and plants are natural features after all. If you think the Thames is overgrown around Oxford you should see some other rivers. The Warwickshire Avon is very overgrown and it's much narrower than the Thames to start with, but I can still get my widebeam through. It's meant to be overgrown to some extent - that's it's natural state.

I am probably not putting my point very well! There is nothing wrong with any of those things at all, it is that the other parts of the Thames are not like that.

The place that I would have expected to be the most upmarket (Oxford) is not, and places like Abingdon and Reading that you would expect to be rather down market don't appear so. All from the perspective of the river of course. The river in Oxford appears neglected where it is not in other places. Despite having lived 1 hour away by car for 30 years I have actually never been to Oxford before, unless you count driving round the A34, or back in the day visiting Rover Cawley. I know places like Marlow/Bourne End etc though and was expecting Oxford to be similar.

It's just my observation, and of course I appreciate not everyone will see it like that.

I am probably not putting my point very well! There is nothing wrong with any of those things at all, it is that the other parts of the Thames are not like that.

The place that I would have expected to be the most upmarket (Oxford) is not, and places like Abingdon and Reading that you would expect to be rather down market don't appear so. All from the perspective of the river of course. The river in Oxford appears neglected where it is not in other places. Despite having lived 1 hour away by car for 30 years I have actually never been to Oxford before, unless you count driving round the A34, or back in the day visiting Rover Cawley. I know places like Marlow/Bourne End etc though and was expecting Oxford to be similar.

It's just my observation, and of course I appreciate not everyone will see it like that.

I agree I thought the Thames at oxford would be nicer but spent 3 days there and so much to see. Abingdon for the river is lovely and free moorings below the lock provided by the town, although I prefered the es moorings at the lock because such a nice walk into town for the dog from there and not so many people.

... Punting on the main river below Folly Bridge was an interesting experience, as it involved coping with the wash from speeding cruisers, looking out for fast-approaching racing eights, using the right technique when crossing the deep channel in the centre, avoiding swans, and above all making sure when approaching Iffley lock from upstream not to be on the weir side of the river! ...

Cruising that stretch in July we saw from a distance a woman in a punt standing and gesturing strangely and dramatically whilst floating about mid-stream. Then the narrowboat about a hundred yards ahead of us did a sudden right turn as if planning to head up the Cherwell under the bow-backed pedestrian bridge. As we got closer we could see that it was circling around a punting pole sticking up out of the water ... that had been left behind!

Edited by Jim Batty

The EA have kindly let a trip boat have priority at that site. No one has seen the bloody thing yet.

Much was made of the opening of wansford station mooring, its a nice place to stop if you can get on it - as you will know!

A lot of p!ssed off licence fee payers, the EA have essentially turned over a mooring fee payers paid for to a commercial enterprise.

Magpie Patrick wonders why I have a downer on the EA....

Weekends no go at NVR, great!

Well we will find out tomorrow and being me if I am on there first and am asked to move my reply will have a lot to do with sex and travel.

Well we will find out tomorrow and being me if I am on there first and am asked to move my reply will have a lot to do with sex and travel.

Good on you :-)

We are traveling back from the great Ouse tomorrow, will be tea time at least on Saturday before we get that far.

Pity it wasn't last week, I was there with the grandkids playing trains.

Sorry to have missed you will be on our way back on Saturday.

Fave bit of the Thames is between Lechlade and Hannington bridge but most don't get farther than the roundhouse.