Taking boat form Whilton Marina to London

peterpan1

Featured Posts

Someone not totally aware of canal geography would use whilton as an area to explain their present position. .......

........After all, he said nothing of buying the boat from whilton. In fact, he stated clearly he had bought it privately.

But - if you read the Op's first post it clearly stated :-

Any advice on bringing a narrowboat from Whilton Marina to London?

It made no mention of "in the area of", or "near to" Whilton.

With regard to buying it privately that did not appear until post #23, by which time the OP had posted 8 times in the thread with simple one-liners such as :

"To late"

"She's only 35' I'm sure i will be able to find somewhere to moor?!"

"No mooring, spoke with quite a few boaters for last couple of months."

"No survey but I'm a trade and I can check most things myself."

With regard to buying it privately that did not appear until post #23, by which time the OP had posted 8 times in the thread with simple one-liners such as :

"To late"

You can make it seem whatever you like, but at no point did he state he had bought it from whilton marina.

"To late"

Ah now I understand why some were not able to help. I am presently at Dover Lock oh oh oops I am not I am on the wrong side of the bridge so about 300 yards away I had better not ask for information on how to get anywhere

Actually faking a IP address is quite hard, it's easy to get another one, but that isn't fake.

Only TOR (slow) and proxy servers can hide your real IP address.

I'm afraid that is just a little bit nit picky.

The point is if you use another IP address to make it appear as if it is where you are coming from when it isn't (in order to fool somebody into thinking you are) then it's 'faking' or at the very least amounts to the same thing.

But they are being realistic :-

Finding permanent moorings can be difficult

And - they do sell over 300 boats per year.

And this is the way they sell some of those 300 boats. Yes they do mention moorings further down the page but for some by this time the seed has been sown and they look into it perhaps by a visit and think why not join in.

We met a guy who had bought a small plastic cruiser and having squatted in London said he was going to join his mates who buying a cheap boat better than facing eviction from squats.

Another had bought a boat from Whilton marina and was heading for London to live along the Regents canal. This was before the Whilton article so not as a result of it although it`s quite possible he was told about the huge waterside squat. Having cruised through last year I have seen it and it`s not just narrowboats there also seems to be a lot of widebeams.

Just grateful I have no need to be part of it. Commuting costs must play a big part as does lack of economical housing as I`m sure a lot of these boaters are working in London and not as some might think living on benefits. Just so grateful my working life has past and I can cruise the system and moor in quiet peaceful surroundings. In different circumstances I, in fact any of us, could have been in that situation.

Why is it so important where the OP is coming from. He asked from Whilton marina to London. Perhaps he was in the marina or had just tied up outside and then posted his question. Who cares just offer the advice. As for is it a wind up well treat it as genuin and if the OP will not give straight answers or dissapears after quite a few posts then just leave it at that. If he can`t participate in people helping him then stop offering advice.

Anyway apart from all that you are all a good bunch and have helped a lot of us less knowledgeable to enjoy life afloat. Thanks

Hmmm. I remember you sounding off in a similar manner over RMP.

You had the facts wrong then as well.

Someone not totally aware of canal geography would use whilton as an area to explain their present position. I suspect peter pan did just that. After all, he said nothing of buying the boat from whilton. In fact, he stated clearly he had bought it privately.

Some things are not always as they seem, even in your head :-)

I've no idea how to go back and find the post, but I think you'll find I said something along the lines of;

"I've no idea of the facts surrounding these permits, but from the outside looking In it looks like......."

Nothing wrong with saying that. At the time the general idea was being talked about in public but little of the details. My post simply stated what I felt at the time based on the information available. I said I thought that more information/details should be made available that might stop all the ill feeling surrounding them, and lets be honest, It was hardly a minority view.

I hardly class that as 'spouting off'.

And just to prove my point, as more details were released it because apparent (imo) that the scheme was a good idea and a good solution to the problem in that area. When the idea was binned I commented that it was a shame for all involved, both those who would have benefited and those who put so much time and effort into getting the scheme off the ground. But I suppose you only choose to remember the negative?

Some people on here seem to have a habit of reading things they want to read, rather than what was actually said. Just because somebody holds a different opinion to you Steve, it doesn't mean they are 'spouting off'.

Edited by junior

We brought our boat to London from Whilton this time last year. No idea where we were going. Never been on a boat before, Bought the first one we saw. Surveyor recommended by Whilton, Turned out the family were on the pay role.They said it would take 5 days. Took 2 weeks and that was only to Uxbridge. Hit everything insight, Got drunk every night and had a blast.Love our boat and the life.And whoever said London is full is obviously not too bright. There are a lot of boats but we manage very well and no complaints. Mind you we don'y have nor want permanent moorings. Might as well have a house

Edited by Bolanrex

We brought our boat to London from Whilton this time last year. No idea where we were going. Never been on a boat before, Bought the first one we saw. Surveyor recommended by Whilton, Turned out the family were on the pay role.They said it would take 5 days. Took 2 weeks and that was only to Uxbridge. Hit everything insight, Got drunk every night and had a blast.Love our boat and the life.And whoever said London is full is obviously not too bright. There are a lot of boats but we manage very well and no complaints. Mind you we don'y have nor want permanent moorings. Might as well have a house

Hmmmm...

Bolanrex, on 24 Aug 2014 - 7:39 PM, said:

Yes - it seems that you had the full Whilton Experience :

Bolanrex, on 07 Nov 2013 - 8:16 PM, said:

We bought a boat from Whilton marina and have been very disappointed. The boat looks fab and most things are sound but central heating doesn't work and thE electrics have cost us a canny bit. These things should have been sorted after the survey but those sly crooks at Whilton didn't do them. The surveyor was recommended by them. We are green as grass and fell for it. STAY AWAY FROM THESE SLIME BALLS.

I guess we were just too trusting. We have learned our lesson and at the end of the day we are living the dream though its a bit cold, My last dig at Whilton is they have NO after sales service. As soon as we were ready to leave the marina it was *Out you go and don't come back* They didn't even show us how to drive it or open a lock. We were told we would be shown these things until our leaving day when they said that someone would give us a half day lesson costing x amount. This new shady character turned out to be the surveyors Dad.

I once heard Whilton described by another brokerage as 'the rubbish dump'.

I viewed two very nice boats there a few days ago. I'd like both, but can only realistically have one of course.

The staff were helpful, and prompt with the promises they made.

If you give yourself a bad reputation the experienced will keep away.

Then those innocents you give a bad experience will become experienced and keep away.

How many more innocents are out there to buy a boat before your reputation is such that all you have is the innocents that become fewer and fewer.

I have heard bad things about several boat business`s over the years travelling around but lack of personal experience stops me mentioning names. On the other tack I can say I`ve heard a few good stories about ABNB and Rugby boats.

EDIT; Just to make it clear the few good stories were of a positively good experience.

Edited by valrene9600

If you give yourself a bad reputation the experienced will keep away.

Then those innocents you give a bad experience will become experienced and keep away.

How many more innocents are out there to buy a boat before your reputation is such that all you have is the innocents that become fewer and fewer.

I disagree.

When a business sets out to specifically target the inexperienced, they succeed because there is an inexhaustible supply of inexperienced people.

It's the way the human race works!

MtB

I disagree.

When a business sets out to specifically target the inexperienced, they succeed because there is an inexhaustible supply of inexperienced people.

It's the way the human race works!

MtB

So you think there are perhaps enough to keep a business afloat. It`s a small % of the human race seeking a boat but with housing costs being what they are that % is going up so perhaps your right.

Always better though to have a good reputation and a big customer base of the experienced and innocents.

So you think there are perhaps enough to keep a business afloat. It`s a small % of the human race seeking a boat but with housing costs being what they are that % is going up so perhaps your right.

Always better though to have a good reputation and a big customer base of the experienced and innocents.

'Better' in what way?

From an amoral business POV it could be argued it is more effective (profitable) to prey on the inexperienced and stitch them up with overpriced products giving you a HUGE profit margin, than to offer the keenly priced (lower margin) products experienced boaters boaters demand and seek out.

Just playing Devil's Advocate. Not proposing this is a good business plan, just analysing Whilton's apparent business plan.

MtB

'Better' in what way?

From an amoral business POV it could be argued it is more effective (profitable) to prey on the inexperienced and stitch them up with overpriced products giving you a HUGE profit margin, than to offer the keenly priced (lower margin) products experienced boaters boaters demand and seek out.

Just playing Devil's Advocate. Not proposing this is a good business plan, just analysing Whilton's apparent business plan.

MtB

There's numerous ways to add value, perceived or tangible. In the days of the interwebs it's not hard to find out other's experience of a business, regardless of experience. This reduces the potential customer base to the inexperienced and wilfully stupid.

Better in that i could stand behind my counter safe in the knowledge my fair treatment to all meant the guy coming through the door wants to buy more and NOT knock my head off. Still make a profit but what a nice way to do it.

Yep totally agree. It's just that not all businesses take that approach, and spotting which ones do and which don't, is partly what 'experience' is all about!

MtB

There's numerous ways to add value, perceived or tangible. In the days of the interwebs it's not hard to find out other's experience of a business, regardless of experience. This reduces the potential customer base to the inexperienced and wilfully stupid.

True.

It's easy to google Whilton and find out what they are like, but they astill seem to have plenty of customers which kind of illustrates my point.

MtB

On one of the few occasions when I was employed in someone else's company, I worked for someone who was great at promising the earth but delivering very little. He was one of the best people I ever met at finding and signing up new customers, for him that was essential because he could lose them as fast.

I always wished that I had some of his talent of getting new custom, that was something I was very bad at.

However I virtually never lost a customer, and although I retired several years ago some of my ex customers have stayed in contact.