Taking boat form Whilton Marina to London

peterpan1

Featured Posts

Sorry, I didn't read all of your post. I fell asleep before getting to the end.

:)

MtB

My you have a low attention span.

Anyway as to the issues of offers, one other possibility is that they (Wilton) are aware of a figure below which they know the seller is not currently prepared to go below so perhaps they see little point in passing the offer on??

Edited by The Dog House

That's wrong. it only applies to houses. A clause in the Estate Agents act 1979 IIRC. Boat sellers are not estate agents so exempt.

MtB

yes and no. I have recently put a property on the market and instructed the agent not to bother me me with offers less than the asking price, they simply asked me to confirm that instruction by email.

I'm afraid once again we see an example of somebody's definition of 'abuse' being somewhat skewed. Some of the replies he got were perhaps less than helpful but abusive? Really?

Did I miss some posts or were some of the 'abusive' posts removed.

Edited by The Dog House

Some of you were....

Could you highlight any posts that you would consider "abusive"

It was pointed out that he had not conducted sufficient research and that maybe he should have looked for a mooring before buying a boat or even considered a survey.

His response was he was " a trade, it was only 35' and he would find somewhere to moor it"

I can find nothing that I would conside abuse.

Just been back and read from the start ....could not find abuse ,,,but a definite theme of mockery mostly at the naive attitude

Yes I think I agree with that TBH, a better description.

Could you highlight any posts that you would consider "abusive"

It was pointed out that he had not conducted sufficient research and that maybe he should have looked for a mooring before buying a boat or even considered a survey.

His response was he was " a trade, it was only 35' and he would find somewhere to moor it"

I can find nothing that I would conside abuse.

Yep, your right, abusive was a bit strong.

Self righteous, p*ss taking and silly would probably be a little more accurate.

If he believes we were abusive then I can only say he should get out more often. He got frank and forthright advice and didn't like the answers, so what should we do? Say "oh yes it will all be dandy so don't worry about anything"

We have had many,many newbies ask for help and advice which we have given freely and they settle into their new lives happily and become valued members of the forum (bettie boo for one)

Sadly there are always a few who crop up who fail to fit in for whatever reason.

Phil

Then again, he didn't ask the same question on the other forum.

He gave them the minor details that he would be single handed and asked whether 3 days would be enough time to do it.

If he'd asked that here, he'd have got more helpful answers, I'd say.

Comparing the threads on both forums, it's quite surprising to see such a difference in reply technique.

If he believes we were abusive then I can only say he should get out more often. He got frank and forthright advice and didn't like the answers, so what should we do? Say "oh yes it will all be dandy so don't worry about anything"

We have had many,many newbies ask for help and advice which we have given freely and they settle into their new lives happily and become valued members of the forum (bettie boo for one)

Sadly there are always a few who crop up who fail to fit in for whatever reason.

Phil

The advice he got was mostly about mooring in London which he never asked about...

Yep! the result you get does depend on how you ask as much as what you ask

These type of scenarios have a bit of a pattern I believe.

As I have said before I don't think some new posters don't understand how much traffic this site gets (say compared to Just Canals if it's still going for example) post something on another site and you will sometimes wait hours even days for a response. On here you get answers in minutes sometimes seconds even. Add in something including certain key words, London and Mooring being a prime example and the topic is sure to get loads of hits.

A degree of frustration then seems to kick in when requests for further information or clarity go unanswered which in turn leads also to a degree of cynicism, suspicion even about the original post and the person making it.

If new posters would just check back quicker and provide responses (and yes if we sometimes cut them some slack) then I feel sure a lot of this so called abuse or bullying of new members would diminish.

Comparing the threads on both forums, it's quite surprising to see such a difference in reply technique.

Indeed. YBW forum they answered the question. Here they got on their high high horses.

Given it's a yachting forum its advice was succinct accurate and useful.

I would say the residents of this forum could learn a lot from that but almost certainly won't.

• Greenie 3

peterpan1, on 22 Aug 2014 - 1:37 PM, said:

Any advice on bringing a narrowboat from Whilton Marina to London?

Advice on what ?

Pubs ?

Water points ?

Pump-out locations ?

Safe places to moor ?

Lock handling ?

etc etc.

Ask a vauge question - get misunderstood.

or

I'm looking into bringing a narrow boat from Northamptonshire to London. Unfortunately it seems I will be single handed. Is it doable? Will 3 days be enough?

If he had asked that question here, (whilst there may have been some questions about his intentions), it is a simple, clear question and could have had a simple, clear answer

He wants abusive? he should have said so. I didn't even try....

Edited by Grace & Favour
Removed abusive language

Is that not just a bit of forum 'one upmanship' coming into play though.

If somebody came on here saying they had asked something on YBW but ONLY received abuse (which actually isn't accurate) then I am sure the forum would go out of it's way to show that we are a much nicer bunch than them miserable sods on YBW.

Edited by The Dog House

Indeed. YBW forum they answered the question. Here they got on their high high horses.

I would say the residents of this forum could learn a lot from that but almost certainly won't.

If you go and read both op's you will find they are very different.

If he had asked the question here that he asked on YBW the result would have been different

phill, on 27 Aug 2014 - 8:56 PM, said:

Glad to see you back "Phill"

Did you get chance to read up on the section 8 process ( Once you realised it was in the British Waterways Act 1983 not the 1995 Act)

I have a copy of C&RTs internal documents with a flow chart showing the process and about 8 pages of text describing the application of the process from' initial letter' to boat 'crushing' if you would like me to email it to you.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

If you go and read both op's you will find they are very different.

If he had asked the question here that he asked on YBW the result would have been different

I doubt that. Any mention of taking a boat to London however it was phrased would have resulted in the same responses.

Edited by Delta9