Using Bowthrusters

nine9feet

Featured Posts

Electric bowthrusters go EEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee as the battery dignity runs down

Richard

I'd love to see some of you lot try to steer a 32 tonne widebeam singlehanded without a BT. I reckon you'd shit yourselves.

Edited by blackrose

I'd love to see some of you lot try to steer a 32 tonne widebeam singlehanded without a BT. I reckon you'd shit yourselves.

I'll pass on that - two thing's I'd never want nor interested in a jot. wink.png

Edited by mark99

You seem to be contradicting yourself. First you say that your BT allows a maximum continuous usage of 4 minutes and then you go on to quote Vetus figures in minutes per hour, not continuous. Mine is the 95kgf which I think is 3 mins/hour.

Try using a Vetus BT for 3-8 minutes continuously and see what happens!

Read it again...

Quote; The maximum continuous length of usage, which is also the maximum length per hour, is:

My neighbours 40ton 57x12ft with chain steering, I find the weight actually helps in manevuring compared to a light boat of similar length.

My boat, 50x12ft at about 20ton is harder but maybe due to been too high in the water. Has a bow thruster but don't use at te moment due to refitting and removed the cables!

Edited by Robbo

Presumably, "proper boaters" dont have bowthrusters. Why not!

I dont have one and can pretty much turn my boat on the spot - but I dont see why bowthrusters are frowned upon.

Would definitely be handy going backwards!

Because they can handle a boat and don't need them

A doddle steering something that small, try a real barge (Parglena) with no BT its a doddle if you know what you are doing :)

I had Cobbett move sideways into a mooring less than 64' long on the Avon at Stratford on the Bank Holiday, which isn't bad for a 62' boat. Admittedly, the Avon was on green boards ...

She pirouetted out against the flow to go up Bancroft lock too.

I note that some of the naysayers here have cheerfully used the girly button when steering her in the past. No names, jus' sayin' ....

A doddle steering something that small, try a real barge (Parglena) with no BT its a doddle if you know what you are doing smile.png

That's why I said some people would shit themselves. I was really talking about the BT naysayers on narrowboaters who've never steered a bigger boat

Anyway, every boat handles differently as you well know Julian. Parglena may have been a doddle, but I don't recall it being that big - 65ft x 12.5ft? Not really that much bigger than Black Rose. I'm sure Parglena was much heavier and had a deeper draught, but that probably aided handling.

Edited by blackrose

That's why I said some people would shit themselves. I was really talking about the BT naysayers on narrowboaters who've never steered a bigger boat

Anyway, every boat handles differently as you well know Julian. Parglena may have been a doddle, but I don't recall it being that big - 65ft x 12.5ft? Not really that much bigger than Black Rose. I'm sure Parglena was much heavier and had a deeper draught, but that probably aided handling.

In her shorter days 50ft and chain steering 30turns lock to lock she was a pig. But a bit of a rethink and lots of cash cured that.

Sounds like a challenge to me.

I most certainly would not shit myself I would have a go at it.

Would probably make a pigs ear of it but would at least give it a try

Whilst some folk happily swing their boats about without a BT (me looking at them with envy),

It's been a useful tool for me as a newbie.

As for using it often?
At first yes I did but lately only when docking as a gentle nudge to stop a bounce off the jetty.

So guilty as charged, I've got one and use it.
In my defense, less each time i go out to play

I've almost got "reversing" and maneuvering but appreciate that little assist when things get a bit tight.

After all if I cock up big time I could damage another boat.
Something I'm not keen to do.

I'd give it a go,steering should be no problem,don't know about reversing,might have to use the bowthruster for that.We've only been doing this fo six months and at 47tons and 14'4 wide the biggest problem apart from reversing is stopping! Our bowthruster has it's own engine so revs is no problem for the hydraulic system.

Ahhh, but you now know what a proper bowthruster is like. The Roaring kind

Richard

It impressed some hirers at Hillmorton last saturday.

I was loitering above the top lock waiting for them to come out. The inflow there was pushing the bow over to the right. Touch of the button, brief chug from the engine, bow back in place.

"You've got a pump at the front!" they cried as they went past.

I didn't like to tell them it wasn't my boat.

smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

A doddle steering something that small, try a real barge (Parglena) with no BT its a doddle if you know what you are doing smile.png

My bow-thruster batteries packed up three years ago, and I haven't replaced them. I am on the tidal Thames, in a proper barge, and somehow seem to manage.

But they are useful when reversing.