Claiming from hire company for damage

pearley

Featured Posts

We were in a collision with an Anglo Welsh hire boat on the upper Thames yesterday when it decided to cut the corner on one of the bends and came rku d the corner on the wrong side. The damage is about £100.

Anyone have any experience of claiming from AW?

We have notified them and they 'are looking into it'.

Edited by pearley

We were in a collision with an Anglo Welsh hire boat on the upper Thames yesterday when it decided to cut the corner on one of the bends and came rku d the corner on the wrong side. The damage is about £100.

Anyone have any experience of claiming from AW?

We have notified them and they 'are looking into it'.

. Unless you can get a hundred pounds as a cash settlement it ain't worth claiming you may have an excess and or inflated premiums in the future which will cancel out the hundred pounds you receive. It may not be what your policy says but is normally the case sorry but go for the cash and make sure you have a totally independent witness as anyone you have an acquaintance with does not count as a bonafide witness

. Unless you can get a hundred pounds as a cash settlement it ain't worth claiming you may have an excess and or inflated premiums in the future which will cancel out the hundred pounds you receive. It may not be what your policy says but is normally the case sorry but go for the cash and make sure you have a totally independent witness as anyone you have an acquaintance with does not count as a bonafide witness

Not if you're claiming from a 3rd party.

Nonsense.

How will they lose any no claims even if this applies to their own policy.

They are rightly planning on claiming from the hire co. and or their insurers not their own insurance......

I had this issue last year, but with a different company.They told me to go through my own insurers, which I flatly refused to do.

I wrote to the company with a formal claim for compensation, which they then handed over to their own insurers. I chased this up several times with both the hire company and their insurers, and ultimately got my payout.

It took what I consider to be a long time for a simple case (liability accepted by the steerer, apology made a day later too, damage witnessed and value assessed by a professional in writing for the firm) but they ultimately paid out.

My advice:

Document everything.

Make it clear to the company what you want them to do in redress.

Provide a timescale within which you will accept resolution, and ask them for a firm timescale to sort it out within.

Do it all in writing.

Don't be fobbed off.

Don't claim through your own insurer, or accept requests that your own insurer mediate or negotiate with theirs, assuming there was no fault on your part.

• Greenie 2

I was hit in a tunnel and pushed into a wall by a hireboat on the way to Stourport, fairlead ripped off.

Hire company (now defunkt) told me to sod off as their hirer denied it happened.

Wish you luck,

The likelihood is should the hire company accept liability that with a claim as small as £100 they may well deduct this from the hirers deposit and settle in cash without requiring their insurance to cover it as they will have an excess that usually equates to the required deposit from a hirer. I believe £500 is a common deposit.

I was hit in a tunnel and pushed into a wall by a hireboat on the way to Stourport, fairlead ripped off.
Hire company (now defunkt) told me to sod off as their hirer denied it happened.

This is where a witness is essential it's a bit like an accident on a B road and ends up knock for knock. However I wouldn't let a hire company get away with fobbing me off, just the threat of A county court summons will usually have the hire company paying up on a small claim. If they don't and you have a witness then simply proceed with a claim.

I am waiting to hear of someone claiming from a landowner when a tree damages their boat .

One word of advice if it is not your fault then do not give your insurance details.

I am waiting to hear of someone claiming from a landowner when a tree damages their boat .

One word of advice if it is not your fault then do not give your insurance details.

Insurance details are irrelevant, if you make a claim against someone for what ever reason, you just need to know who they are and where they live or where their business address is to claim of them for damage. Weather they contact their insurance company is entirely up to them, it doesn't mean you can't claim for damages.

I've taken some photos of the damage which I will send tomorrow with an email backing my telephone claim. On Sunday/Monday we'll be passing their base so I shall call in and see the manager. After that it will be the small claims court. If they fit a £100 claim they must be daft.

Edited by pearley

Wish you luck,

I can imagine in the future some boaters installing car dashboard cameras to record such collisions. They are certainly cheap enough now.

I can imagine in the future some boaters installing car dashboard cameras to record such collisions. They are certainly cheap enough now.

Are they??!!

Got a link please, coz the only ones I could find when looking the other day still cost £hunderds!

Many thanks.

MtB

Are they??!!

Got a link please, coz the only ones I could find when looking the other day still cost £hunderds!

Many thanks.

MtB

Search 'dash cam' on eBay.

I bought one for a totally different putpose for £34, and could have got it for £20 had I ordered direct from China. It's the size and appearance of a car key fob, if you want one look for model 808#16 keyfob camera

I wish I had it running when a private boat gave us a huge whack because they tried to take a tight corner on the Oxford at water skier speed. We didn't notice the big dent in out bow till after they had careered on their erratic way.

BTW anyone know how to get dents out of a 6mm steel plate? I tried a big hammer to no avail?

TC

edit for MtB

http://www.minidvcameras.co.uk/index.php

Edited by Top cat

Nonsense.

How will they lose any no claims even if this applies to their own policy.

They are rightly planning on claiming from the hire co. and or their insurers not their own insurance......

. Believe what you want Martin but I talk from far more experience than your average man on the street when it comes to insurance and I would repeat go for the cash on such a small sum but hey seems you have got some top advisors on here so ultimately it's your call

I bought one for a totally different putpose for £34, and could have got it for £20 had I ordered direct from China. It's the size and appearance of a car key fob, if you want one look for model 808#16 keyfob camera

I wish I had it running when a private boat gave us a huge whack because they tried to take a tight corner on the Oxford at water skier speed. We didn't notice the big dent in out bow till after they had careered on their erratic way.

BTW anyone know how to get dents out of a 6mm steel plate? I tried a big hammer to no avail?

TC

. Warm the metal first
  • Greenie 1

. Believe what you want Martin but I talk from far more experience than your average man on the street when it comes to insurance and I would repeat go for the cash on such a small sum but hey seems you have got some top advisors on here so ultimately it's your call . Warm the metal first

You don't lose your no claims or have to pay any excess if you claim against somebody else. Simple.

You may have to declare you have been in an accident even when it's not your fault though, not the same though if that is what you mean......