Narrow beam cruisers

max campbell

Featured Posts

Thinking of buying a narrow beam cruiser. Budget c £15k. Like the look of the Viking 32 centre cockpit / aft cabin, but what else is there of a similar size? Any known drawbacks / things to watch out for? I'd always liked the idea of a "proper" inboard, but most of these boats are outboard-powered - do others prefer in or out and why?

Narrow cruiser have their benefits and limitations.

A limitation for me is the ability to navigate a narrow canal..... ;-)

As far as Vikings go, there's plenty of them to choose from, they offer flexible accommodation - I'm not keen on centre cockpit boats but others find the split of bedroom and saloon a benefit.

Outboard engines offer simple maintenance but have the drawback of limited charging and no hot water. along with the scarcity of petrol bankside.

Inboards give bigger charging capacity and hot water. Servicing slightly more complicated especially if on a leg.

Horses for courses really.

The answer is to get an Elysian or a seamaster and forget the narrow waterways :-)

I'm sitting on a Viking 23 as I type (although it should be pointed out I also own a 45 foot narrow boat)

If I went much longer I'd want the centre cockpit, indeed if I hadn't got Lutine Bell I was looking at something like a Viking or Norman 32.

Juno, the Viking 23, is effectively one cabin, and thus if friends stay we have to be comfortable with sharing the space or one sleeps under the canopy

All these boats have no front exit, therefore on the rear cockpit versions of the longer boats the exit from the front cabin is via the back cabin

The centre cockpit ones give each cabin an external door, that to me is an advantage.

The disadvantages are that the combing is generally higher on a centre cockpit than on a rear cockpit, and the you really have to get the boat alongside to get off, no stepping off at the corner.

To my mind Juno's benefits are that she can be turned anywhere, (less so with a longer cruiser) she can moor on already crowded moorings and she can share locks that others can't. She is lightweight and therefore very easy to manhandle. At 800 kilos without kit (and under a tonne with) she can be towed behind a large car, although I've never done that.

edited to add: a boat like Juno would set you back a lot less than £15k

Juno is not insulated and has no heating - winter occupation is a non-starter

I have a narrow boat to live on, and a cruiser for fun wink.png (or at least that's the plan)

Edited by magpie patrick

My narrow cruiser is a 25.5' Ormelite, of about 1970 build date, Inboard diesel with conventional shaft and prop (with weedhatch)
centre cockpit but hard topped not pram cover. for me these were about the best designed small cruiser ever.

The insulation is rudimentary and I wouldn't care to spend a winter living aboard her but on my mooring there is another Ormelite that a couple lived on for a couple of years.

7995691794_d739c5dbb0_z.jpgOrmelite ES 1960's Fibreglass canal cruiser by mudlarker2, on Flickr

John V

We may have spoken about ormelite in the past?

My brother has taken on my friends ormelite northern star, its a 25' aft cockpit model. Very nice build quality.

I have not long finished fitting a Kubota d722 in place of the original Stuart Turner p55, more usable boat now, but it has lost some of its original character.

They are currently heading to the great Ouse on two weeks holiday, the furthest the old girl has been in years!

I think you are right Gazza, Northern Star 1975 build I think, .....Shapfell is fitted with a little 2 pot Vetus diesel, maybe a tad low on power but I've found it adequate. The old girl hadn't been far for years when I bought her,but since then have stacked several hundred miles on the clock. No movement this year due to family illness but hopefully next year will be back on the cut

It goes really well with the 3 cylinder motor in it, the poor old P55 needed a rebore as most of its 10hp had long since departed. I liked it with the little two stroke but brother wanted hot water and ease of obtaining fuel riverside - he's had years of an outboard powered fairline. It was a shame to out the original motor but luckily it retains all its original fit out, the quality of which is very impressive.

The weed hatch looks fun to use, the prop is a fair way back from the hatch but its a better but than my only approach with the Elysian - down to me skiddies and in we go!

I'm sitting on a Viking 23 as I type (although it should be pointed out I also own a 45 foot narrow boat)

If I went much longer I'd want the centre cockpit, indeed if I hadn't got Lutine Bell I was looking at something like a Viking or Norman 32.

Juno, the Viking 23, is effectively one cabin, and thus if friends stay we have to be comfortable with sharing the space or one sleeps under the canopy

All these boats have no front exit, therefore on the rear cockpit versions of the longer boats the exit from the front cabin is via the back cabin

The centre cockpit ones give each cabin an external door, that to me is an advantage.

The disadvantages are that the combing is generally higher on a centre cockpit than on a rear cockpit, and the you really have to get the boat alongside to get off, no stepping off at the corner.

To my mind Juno's benefits are that she can be turned anywhere, (less so with a longer cruiser) she can moor on already crowded moorings and she can share locks that others can't. She is lightweight and therefore very easy to manhandle. At 800 kilos without kit (and under a tonne with) she can be towed behind a large car, although I've never done that.

edited to add: a boat like Juno would set you back a lot less than £15k

Juno is not insulated and has no heating - winter occupation is a non-starter

I have a narrow boat to live on, and a cruiser for fun wink.png (or at least that's the plan)

"Coaming", I wot. Not "combing"

Nsleep.png

Gazza, Yes the fit out is excellent both in design and quality, up to now I havn't seen another make to match, Paul Pennycook (who runs the Ormelite site) had to get rid of his Orme last year and when looking for a narrowboat reckoned what he really wanted was one fitted out by Orme and sons!

Stagedamager,

Never come across that builder before have you got any pictures?

I personally think 15k is about the ceiling in fibreglass at the moment as you are getting into low end narrowboat market if it's definitely a centre cockpit you have Viking ,Norman, creigton or dawncraft and you should be able to buy the best of any of them with your budget if it does,nt have to be centre cockpit take a look at a highbridge again well in your budget and really well thought of also would say don't be put off by age as some of the earlier grp boats were made a whole lot thicker than the later ones for several reasons , I have a 34 ft centre cockpit and really like the separate bedroom that was the main reason for not buying a highbridge as I had one of each to choose from at the same price but did,nt fancy making a bed up every night hope that gives you some pointers and if you need more just ask

I personally think 15k is about the ceiling in fibreglass at the moment as you are getting into low end narrowboat market if it's definitely a centre cockpit you have Viking ,Norman, creigton or dawncraft and you should be able to buy the best of any of them with your budget if it does,nt have to be centre cockpit take a look at a highbridge again well in your budget and really well thought of also would say don't be put off by age as some of the earlier grp boats were made a whole lot thicker than the later ones for several reasons , I have a 34 ft centre cockpit and really like the separate bedroom that was the main reason for not buying a highbridge as I had one of each to choose from at the same price but did,nt fancy making a bed up every night hope that gives you some pointers and if you need more just ask

£15k is the ceiling for GRP. Where the hell have you got that bollocks from?

Lol.

I can imagine naughty cal spitting her coffee everywhere lol

Yes total bollox

I think the implication is that anyone spending over £15k would buy a 'proper' boat.

Lol. Clock and key comes to mind

bit early to be on the wine but hey I,m referring to the kind of boat the op asked about not the kind of floating champaign palaces that you are referring to so yes for a narrow beam inland cruiser I will stick with what I said thanks

Plus Nauticus and Freeman - both high end narrow grp cruisers in their day

For GRP boats limited to the narrow canals I think he's about right NC. I don't think anyone is making them brand new now, nor have they done for a good few years so for that market it has to be second hand doesn't it?

For wider beam boats the sky is the limit of course

Its in the thread title really

Plus Nauticus and Freeman - both high end narrow grp cruisers in their day

For GRP boats limited to the narrow canals I think he's about right NC. I don't think anyone is making them brand new now, nor have they done for a good few years so for that market it has to be second hand doesn't it?

For wider beam boats the sky is the limit of course

Its in the thread title really

Both Viking and Shetland still make brand new narrow beam cruisers as do Atlanta and they are a damn sight more expensive than £15k.

Still I suppose they are not "proper" boats either.

Some of you really need to get off the muddy ditches a bit more!

bit early to be on the wine but hey I,m referring to the kind of boat the op asked about not the kind of floating champaign palaces that you are referring to so yes for a narrow beam inland cruiser I will stick with what I said thanks

See my post above.

I still stick with yours is utter bollocks.

Just for the carpenter

http://www.vikingcruisers.com/viking/

Both Viking and Shetland still make brand new narrow beam cruisers as do Atlanta and they are a damn sight more expensive than £15k.

Still I suppose they are not "proper" boats either.

Some of you really need to get off the muddy ditches a bit more!

See my post above.

I still stick with yours is utter bollocks.Just for the carpenter

http://www.vikingcruisers.com/viking/

. Why don't you just read the original post before you start the op is not in the market for a brand new boat he has 15 k which in the second hand market will give him pretty much freedom to buy whatever he wants in the category he,s looking at ,I to have a yoghurt pot it's old and it's a bit tatty but it's mine I also see know reason to attack anyone that does,nt want to drive around in the same as me just except you and your choice of boat are in a minority on a canal forum and differ to the majority of members here that either own or want to own a narrow boat made of steel sorry to piss on your fire but that's just the way it is hu.
  • Greenie 1

Dear God opposite extremes

Cal, you need to see the muddy ditches you are so disparaging of a bit more to understand. Yes, there are narrow beam boats GRP cruisers still built, but they are not marketed on the canals. As a general rule if you've got say 40K to spend and want to go on narrow canals (and if you don't, why be fussy about the beam?) you would be better of buying a reasonable second hand steel boat. Once you get above £15 K on a fibreglass cruiser it is poor value compared to a steel narrow boat.

If however you want to go to Bridlington, or outon the humber, a brand new Viking 23 would makje a lot of sense, when a 30 foot narrow boat would not.

My friend bought a completely replated Springer narrowboat for 7k in need of a basic update he's spent 2k doing it up and now has a lovely boat.
Your 15k could get you a pretty good steel boat unless you really like fibreglass boats for canal use.

Only if you are lucky in finding the right boat and know what you are doing, and for some reason must have a narrow boat rather than a cruiser. For messing about on the cut rather than liveaboard I'd spend that money on a second hand Viking, Shetland or Buckingham

I got Lutine for £18k, if I'd had any less I'd have been looking at a centre cockpit, indeed I did look at a Norman 32 Centre Cockpit for 13K, it was way better value than any narrow boat I could have had at that price

Edited by magpie patrick
  • Greenie 1