Filling in holes in the side of the hull

Featured Posts

After a recent survey It was highlighted that the hull outlets of my narrowboat were 10 ins below the waterline and need raising.

I can create new outlets at the correct height but what I need to know is what is the best method of filling in the original holes other than welding , or is welding the only option ?

Well you can try newspaper and polyfilla but I doubt that would work for long. Other than welding what would you be happy to use? Nothing more water tight than welding, OR is they? Not in my mind there is.

After a recent survey It was highlighted that the hull outlets of my narrowboat were 10 ins below the waterline and need raising.

Are you sure that the survey didnt say that the 'outlets' were below the recommended 10" above the waterline ?

10" below the waterline would mean that they were 10" underwater which I would have thought was unlikely.

Are you sure that the survey didnt say that the 'outlets' were below the recommended 10" above the waterline ?

10" below the waterline would mean that they were 10" underwater which I would have thought was unlikely.

Glug glug....,

After a recent survey It was highlighted that the hull outlets of my narrowboat were less than 10 ins below above the waterline and need raising.

I assume that's what you mean!

Another option is to fit a seacock on the inside of the outlet so that it can be closed off if required but keep them where they are.

Glug glug....,

That was my first thoguht, but they could be in a sealed gas locker. My old boat was like that (not 10 inches though!)

I used to empty the water tank and fill the diesel tank at boat test time.

Edited by Guest

I ca think of dozens of craft including our own barge which has outlets below watrer level. It's perfectly OK as long as there is a sea cock immediately inside and the internal pipework is metal to above water level.

Tam

I can create new outlets at the correct height but what I need to know is what is the best method of filling in the original holes other than welding , or is welding the only option ?

If its a private vessel its up to you where you have them unless it was an insurance survey and they are insisting you move them.

I ca think of dozens of craft including our own barge which has outlets below watrer level. It's perfectly OK as long as there is a sea cock immediately inside and the internal pipework is metal to above water level.

Tam

I dont think it has to be meatallic - from BSS

To reduce the risk of your boat sinking if it keels over or is excessively weighed down, it's a good idea for privately owned boats to only have openings which are at a height of at least 250mm (10ins) above the waterline. Where openings are necessary below this level this risk can be reduced by ensuring that these openings are permanently and securely connected to ducts or pipes, which are watertight up to that level.

But for Commercial boats (again from BSS) :

The provisions of this section of Part 10 in the 2002 BSS Standards are mandatory for non-private boats where applicable.

An effective valve or cock fitted in water intake pipes can reduce the risk of the boat sinking if the pipe is damaged in some way. It's a good idea to fit these to all skin hull fittings that are below the water line when the boat is normally loaded, since they allow you to quickly isolate any water intakes. [10.4]

Tam

Doesn't need to be metal, mine are all hose for underwater inlets/outlets.

I dont think it has to be meatallic - from BSS

To reduce the risk of your boat sinking if it keels over or is excessively weighed down, it's a good idea for privately owned boats to only have openings which are at a height of at least 250mm (10ins) above the waterline. Where openings are necessary below this level this risk can be reduced by ensuring that these openings are permanently and securely connected to ducts or pipes, which are watertight up to that level.

But for Commercial boats (again from BSS) :

The provisions of this section of Part 10 in the 2002 BSS Standards are mandatory for non-private boats where applicable.

An effective valve or cock fitted in water intake pipes can reduce the risk of the boat sinking if the pipe is damaged in some way. It's a good idea to fit these to all skin hull fittings that are below the water line when the boat is normally loaded, since they allow you to quickly isolate any water intakes. [10.4]

It only says its a good idea, its a good idea to wear life jacket but most of us dont do it.

Yes, appologies for the confusion. I did mean 10 ins above the waterline as suggested.

The survey did list this as a 'Recommendation' rather than a 'Requirement'.

I like the swan neck idea which I can undertake myself and would make the work on some of the outlets pretty minimal.

I think the sink waste is pretty stuffed though as the bottom of the sink is less than 10 ins above the waterline so the outlet can't be any higher unless a pump out system is adopted.

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by Bloomsberry

The thing with the sink is that it is the level of the top that matters, provided the pipe to the side outlet is intact. If the outlet goes below water all that happens is that the sink starts to fill with cut water, until the level in the sink is the same as the level outside. Until there is cut water above the top rim of the sink no water will enter the boat and once you raise the outlet above water the sink will drain back.

Not necessarily recommended as a way of washing the dishes though!

N

Yes, appologies for the confusion. I did mean 10 ins above the waterline as suggested.

The survey did list this as a 'Recommendation' rather than a 'Requirement'.

I like the swan neck idea which I can undertake myself and would make the work on some of the outlets pretty minimal.

I think the sink waste is pretty stuffed though as the bottom of the sink is less than 10 ins above the waterline so the outlet can't be any higher unless a pump out system is adopted.

Thanks for the replies.

It will be the top of the sink that counts, not the bottom

Richard

MORE: As Bengo has already pointed out

Edited by RLWP

It makes you wonder - if the surveyor knows anything about the inland waterways AND assuming that the pipes in question were for sink wastes and the like, then it's not an issue - as explained.

OTOH, because the survey is a publishable document then he is obliged to make a comment from the point of public liability.

However, because the OP is not familiar with the inland waterways, he's been frightened into taking unnecessary action.

• Greenie 1

It makes you wonder - if the surveyor knows anything about the inland waterways AND assuming that the pipes in question were for sink wastes and the like, then it's not an issue - as explained.

OTOH, because the survey is a publishable document then he is obliged to make a comment from the point of public liability.

However, because the OP is not familiar with the inland waterways, he's been frightened into taking unnecessary action.

Greeny

As I mentioned in another thread a surveyor, surveying a NB, (on the Canal system), pointed out several 'advisaries', including the fact that there was no anchor and suitable chain on board, and there were insufficient lifejackets for the number of people who 'could be on the boat'

But then unwarned people take canal boats onto rivers and tidal stretches of the Thames/Severn/Trent/Ouse/etc etc and boats sink. As a recommendation it is very worthy, especially if the boat is based on or near a river or the person commissioning the survey mentions that this will be part of the future cruising plan.......ditto the life jackets.