John Sargeant ~ Barging about in Britain

Kwacker

Featured Posts

Coming in the autumn, John Sergeant is making 5 program's for ITV about Britain's canals, starting in Somerset, ending in Scotland being filmed over this summer.

I wonder if he'll tackle any waterways politics ?

Edited by Kwacker

Coming in the autumn, John Sergeant is making 5 program's for ITV about Britain's canals, starting in Somerset, ending in Scotland being filmed over this summer.

I wonder if he'll tackle any waterways politics ?

I hope he doesn't. There will be no quicker way to bore the pants of people unfamiliar with our fantastic waterways.

I look forward to the series. I hope it is a sucess.

there are some details here.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a583371/john-sergeant-to-go-barging-around-britain-in-new-itv-series.html#~oJEeRFErAmSchF

Well I hope he does bore the pants off the proles.. There are FAR too many boats on the system already. Why do you want more?

MtB

I didn't say that at all. There are many ways to enjoy the waterways that do not need boats.

Whether we like it or not the inland waterways need the interest of a wider population to get involved and help fund them. Otherwise if you think it can only be for boaters be prepared to have your licence cost multiplied a several times in the next few years.

• Greenie 2

I didn't say that at all. There are many ways to enjoy the waterways that do not need boats.

Whether we like it or not the inland waterways need the interest of a wider population to get involved and help fund them. Otherwise if you think it can only be for boaters be prepared to have your licence cost multiplied a several times in the next few years.

I totally agree - CRT need the wider community to invest if the canal network isn't to become only affordable by the wealthy. Of course there are some that would welcome the loss of diversity on the canals, but I know I'm not alone in thinking it would be a much poorer place.

I came across an article today in the local newspaper of my current abode (funny enough the only news site I can access online at work - I've become very well versed with Stoke on Trent local news as there's nothing else to do in my lunch break :D)

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/TV-historian-Sir-Tony-Robinson-supports-campaign/story-21442502-detail/story.html

Good to see another well known public figure speaking up for the waterways and this online map published today sounds intriguing.

Well I hope he does bore the pants off the proles.. There are FAR too many boats on the system already. Why do you want more?

MtB

Well, you've got two! Can't I aspire to one?

I'm quite friendly, and don't hog lock landings

He was being filmed in Llangollen both in the marina and on the steam train a few weeks back.

Timothy West has beaten him to both, (despite being 10 years older!)

Edited by alan_fincher

I totally agree - CRT need the wider community to invest if the canal network isn't to become only affordable by the wealthy.

Can you explain the mechanism by which more people walking and cycling the towpaths, birdwatching, etc leads to further 'investment in the canal network' please?

Because the only effect I can think of is heavier wear and tear on the infrastructure which will have to be funded by boaters and fixed govt funding.

Unless you hold that between them these extra visitors will give voluntary donations to cover the increased costs.

MtB

Can you explain the mechanism by which more people walking and cycling the towpaths, birdwatching, etc leads to further 'investment in the canal network' please?

Because the only effect I can think of is heavier wear and tear on the infrastructure which will have to be funded by boaters and fixed govt funding.

Unless you hold that between them these extra visitors will give voluntary donations to cover the increased costs.

MtB

That has to be the challenge for CRT, how to turn the visitors who get enjoyment from the waterways into a revenue stream, when you can not charge a direct "entry" fee.

The "friends" scheme, and the send a text and donate £3 signs seem to be 2 examples of that at present

That has to be the challenge for CRT, how to turn the visitors who get enjoyment from the waterways into a revenue stream, when you can not charge a direct "entry" fee.

The "friends" scheme, and the send a text and donate £3 signs seem to be 2 examples of that at present

Indeed. Does anyone have any stats for the income arising from the 'donate £3 by text' signs?

And what's the 'Friends' scheme?

MtB

I hope he doesn't. There will be no quicker way to bore the pants of people unfamiliar with our fantastic waterways.

I look forward to the series. I hope it is a sucess.

there are some details here.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a583371/john-sergeant-to-go-barging-around-britain-in-new-itv-series.html#~oJEeRFErAmSchF

Hehe a number of boaters have been interviewed and the one's I know that were interviewed stayed away from politics he does ask interesting questions though

MtB

Because in a few years time CRT start to negotiate again for Funding from DEFRA and a lot of that is dependent on non boaters using the canals also it might encourage more volunteers

I've just read the blurb on digitalspy and the spokesperson from the production company said 'and John is even sleeping on the barge'.

As opposed to being driven to it in a Mercedes every morning, and having an oily flunky start it up for him?

I have to admit to being naive on this - it never crossed my mind that he would not be sleeping on it (the narrowboat, not the barge).

Well, Lysander spotted that too!!