Duck Tape - Best Make?

Featured Posts

When the boat was built, the edges and joins of the sound proofing in the engine bay were covered in silver duck tape. When we had some changes made I used some tape I already had to do the same but within a few weeks it was peeling off. I've tried several different brands but none of then are as good as that used by the boat builders so can anyone recommend a tape that will stand the test of time - and the heat of the engine bay?

I've bought a lot of duct tape over the years and I can't really say some has been noticeably better than others.

I think the problem you could be having is more to to with cleaning the surface properly prior to applying tape. If old tape glue residues remain it will effect the performance of newly applied tape. In addition there's a lot of oil around in an engine room which will get everywhere over time.

So a good clean with spirit might help newer tape adhere.

That's what I've used on insulation board, brilliant stuff!

no, there is definately a real duct tape and a bogus duct tape. The former, works in all weather, and grips like......and the other is rubbish.

I've bought the rubbish...but dont know where the good stuff comes from. Sound crews etc use the good stuff.

The proper name for the stuff is 'duct tape', but sounds like 'duck tape' when spoken quickly.

Back in the day when radiant gas fires fitted into fireplaces were commonplace, the aluminium 'closure plate' was fixed in place with stuff looking exactly like duct tape. It was different though, being made with heat-resistant adhesive.

Have a look on the gas supplies sites e.g. bes.ltd.uk for "closure plate tape". It's probably still available and should do the job rather well.

MtB

no, there is definately a real duct tape and a bogus duct tape. The former, works in all weather, and grips like......and the other is rubbish.

I've bought the rubbish...but dont know where the good stuff comes from. Sound crews etc use the good stuff.

I reckon I've only bought the rubbish one then laugh.png

I still have a real of genuine black Duck tape which has little pictures of yellow ducks on the inside of the cardboard real. It sticks like anything. In fact it tears it to bits if you try to peel it off. Scrupulously clean the surface with spirit and let it dry before applying.

Although Duck Tape is the name of a particular brand of duct tape. They claim the "duck" name is the original. Not sure if I believe them!

http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html

Fascinating stuff, I might have guessed the war had something to do with it LOL

I always keep a few rolls around, it's amazing how often it comes in handy, it's almost like a multi tool. Even though I tend to buy the cheaper stuff, it seems to work pretty well. I do have a couple of Black rolls though I picked up somewhere and it does look better quality, maybe it the lighting engineers stuff, it's just 30mm wide.

Another brilliant tape I have is cloth tape, which is basically a roll of 50mm wide cotton cloth strip with a glued back, really strong, especially good for neatly finishing off the heat bandage around the exhaust.

Edited by Julynian

I think the derrivation is that in the Heating Ventilation and Aircon Industry sealing all those galv steel air ducts from leakage and therefore inefficiency was always a problem that was suddenly largely solved by the big players in the enourmous sticky tape busines with Duct Tape. Other industries found this cloth re-inforced silver coloured tape useful too and manufacturers varied the structure,colour, and adhesive properties to match the new applications. Hence Gaffer Tape for electrics and 100mph tape in Aviation. I have still got to find a truely water proof version for my PVC lined fishpond though. The big manufacture's such as 3M have good products provided you carefully select the right one for the application. Read the data sheets for limitations

Don

Talking about Ducks & Tape does anyone know why some people call the side hatch/doors on a narrowboat 'Duck Doors or, Duck Hatch' ?

It can't be because people feed them through them, is it ?

Edited by Androo