Bridge Rant

Hawkmoth

Featured Posts

Just having a rant. This morning as we approached Low Lane Swing Bridge it started to open. In luck I thought, but no. A small GRP craft came through and promptly started to shut the bridge. Despite my horn signal and our closeness he just continued to shut it. We were so close that I was alongside and Cath was off the boat before he reached his. I could have cheerfully crushed it!frusty.gif

Rant over

Bob

If you were next to him before he got on his boat he must have seen you. I'd have been a bit narked too.

So you would have expected him to go back and open the bridge?

It is perfectly plausable that the chap had not seen or heard the approaching boat. I know we have had this ourselves where we honestly had not seen the approaching boat as we closed the bridge.

In that case the boat owners were happy to accept our apology as a genuine mistake rather than have a rant on the internet.

I once opened a bridge and seen a boat coming so held it open for them and then another boat and another boat and more boats kept coming.

I was there for about 50 mins letting all these boats through. frusty.gif

Some of them didn't even say thanks like it was my job as a bridge operator.

Edited by leeco

NC,

I wasn't rude about the boat, I didn't call it a butter tub or yoghurt pot. The fact that Lyra could crush it isn't derogatory.

I had a rant because I felt like it, better now.

Never heard of swapping keys, we've been unlucky enough to be caught at bridge while several boats passed. It''s part of the game.

I don't think, in fact I know he saw and heard me, he was just concerned with getting on.

That's life,

Bob

Indeed. Some people dont like swapping keys.

I too would be wary of this after helping one chap through Sawley lock because his key wouldn't fit the lock....he was a bit miffed because he had not long brought it from a chandlery (I can't remember which one)...it seems there are some dodgy copies out there...ours are a few years old and stamped BWB and we have never had a problem with them.

Cheers

Gareth

Indeed. Some people dont like swapping keys.

True, but if you are keeping a bridge open for another boat, you stand there with your own key in t'oil and let them through -- swapping keys doesn't enter into it. Seems to work well on the Peak Forest, but then, perhaps we have a better class of folk over here. I note the OP was on a Yorkshire canal -- nuff said. icecream.gif

ETA - perhaps

Edited by Machpoint005

I don't recall going through that swing bridge, but is it on a busy road? The guy might have felt intimidated by impatient motorists? And/or is it a bridge needing a *captive* CaRT key to keep open? Was he single-handing?

I don't recall going through that swing bridge, but is it on a busy road? The guy might have felt intimidated by impatient motorists? And/or is it a bridge needing a *captive* CaRT key to keep open? Was he single-handing?

Good points, but it can often disarm the most impatient 4x4 driver to point out politely that he/she has a choice of routes, but the boater has only one!

Failing that, mutter about "right of navigation".

Bob you have every right to have a rant if you feel like it after all there are loads of rants on here about anything to do with Lycra and having a lycra boat must mean you come in for too many unfair rants.I'm with you on needing to have a rant whatever it was about ifr it makes you feel better.

It is perfectly plausable that the chap had not seen or heard the approaching boat. I know we have had this ourselves where we honestly had not seen the approaching boat as we closed the bridge.

I think the technical term for spotting other boats approaching is "'avin' a look". It is something we do when closing locks or bridges.

However, we did once have a lock closed in our face after a boat exited it. They did see us but had been told "always close the lock after you leave". We quietly and calmly pointed out the flaw in that instruction.

Bob you have every right to have a rant if you feel like it after all there are loads of rants on here about anything to do with Lycra and having a lycra boat must mean you come in for too many unfair rants.I'm with you on needing to have a rant whatever it was about ifr it makes you feel better.

Yeah but,

OK to rant if its raining.

Not if the sun is shining!

True, but if you are keeping a bridge open for another boat, you stand there with your own key in t'oil and let them through -- swapping keys doesn't enter into it. Seems to work well on the Peak Forest, but then, perhaps we have a better class of folk over here. I note the OP was on a Yorkshire canal -- nuff said. icecream.gif

ETA - perhaps

No the "bridge hop" (first boat does first bridge, next boat does next bridge, then back to first boat doing next bridge) works really well up here as well. Especially on the SSYN where there are many, many bridges to contend with .

I think the technical term for spotting other boats approaching is "'avin' a look". It is something we do when closing locks or bridges.

However, we did once have a lock closed in our face after a boat exited it. They did see us but had been told "always close the lock after you leave". We quietly and calmly pointed out the flaw in that instruction.

We did have a look but still missed the approaching boat. It happens. Although not in your perfect world it would seem frusty.gif

NC,

I wasn't rude about the boat, I didn't call it a butter tub or yoghurt pot. The fact that Lyra could crush it isn't derogatory.

I had a rant because I felt like it, better now.

Never heard of swapping keys, we've been unlucky enough to be caught at bridge while several boats passed. It''s part of the game.

I don't think, in fact I know he saw and heard me, he was just concerned with getting on.

That's life,

Bob

No?

What is it then? Superiority instead? mad.gif

The guy made a mistake. Get over it. Unless of course you never make any.

I had an interesting time on my way to Llangollen a couple of months ago. I an across several swing bridges, and being on my own had to invent various ways of getting through, including tying up to anything and leaving the boat in gear. As there is a small current it was the only way I could stop the boat floating back in to the bridge.

I was so pleased when I met people coming and most were helpful. But It did come across a bunch of around 6 people, 4 of whom were on the bridge who insisted I tie up and wait for them to put the bridge down so they could walk across. You didn't need a bw key, just a windless. Still I wasn't in a tearing rush so I just waited.

Unlike the guy at 6.30 in the morning who was sooo desperate to get over the road bridge, he drove under the barrier as it was closing!!

Edited by pykebird

BMW drivers are not the most impatient, they have an advantage in they have bought the fast lane of the motorway with their cars. (That must be correct as they drive as if their cars don't work in any other lane!)

oops sorry I have gone off topic but at least i am still ranting!