Bridge Rant

Hawkmoth

Featured Posts

No?

What is it then? Superiority instead? mad.gif

The guy made a mistake. Get over it. Unless of course you never make any.

I do love your acerbic posts most of time NC.

Don't feel inferior just because your boat isn't steelicecream.gif

Bob

I do love your acerbic posts most of time NC.

Don't feel inferior just because your boat isn't steelicecream.gif

Bob

I don't. But equally don't feel superior because yours is a rust bucket.

If this chap had not been there you would have had to stop to work the bridge anyway. Where's the problem?

I don't. But equally don't feel superior because yours is a rust bucket.

If this chap had not been there you would have had to stop to work the bridge anyway. Where's the problem?

Maybe owners of plastic boats are more patient. I had an old 70's 18ft Fairline and was scared of sharing locks with narrow boats. I learnt to be patient....

We did have a look but still missed the approaching boat. It happens. Although not in your perfect world it would seem frusty.gif

Of course, nothing is less visible than a boat on the canal.blink.png

Maybe owners of plastic boats are more patient. I had an old 70's 18ft Fairline and was scared of sharing locks with narrow boats. I learnt to be patient....

Why?

We usually find it's the narrows that are more nervous of sharing with us ;)

Of course, nothing is less visible than a boat on the canal.blink.png

I have yet to develop the skill of looking round corners. Do tell how you have managed to develop it.

Why?

/quote]

Do you really share locks with narrow boats? Surely that's got to be a risk?

Edited to apologise for my lack of formatting...

Edited by bassplayer

Why?

/quote]

Do you really share locks with narrow boats? Surely that's got to be a risk?

Edited to apologise for my lack of formatting...

We share all the time. If you get the boats side by side they settle against each other with no damage caused.

Leaving them well alone and not tugging and pulling in ropes trying in vain to keep them apart is best.

Not had any damage caused yet.

The locks here are a shade over 15ft wide.

impatient 4x4 driver

Why bring gearboxes into it ??

Surely BMW drivers are the most impatient on the road??

And 4x4 Beamers are the worst of the lot -- doubly damned.

BMW drivers are not the most impatient, they have an advantage in they have bought the fast lane of the motorway with their cars. (That must be correct as they drive as if their cars don't work in any other lane!)

oops sorry I have gone off topic but at least i am still ranting!

That explains why they don't bother fitting indicators.

BMW's are rapidly being ousted from the fast lane by the horrid angry looking front of bull nosed Audi's.

Have you noticed how an A3* looks just as aggressive as an S5? Or perhaps they are all trying equally hard to hear my sound system (from behind).

* an overpriced and badly built Skoda Rapid

I suppose it's sensible to be more careful with older boats, even metal boats if the hulls are getting thin and corroded.

I wonder how the insurance works if a boat is crushed in a lock? Sorry I'm going off topic...

The same as if it was struck on a mooring I should imagine.

I don't post often as there is not much I can bring to the table of any use but I do want to say I get the whole rant thing. it's so satisfying letting off a bit of steam and what better place to do it than here!

I'm glad u had a rant here and not in the other boaters face!

Kirsty x

• Greenie 1

When operating some swing bridges you are on the non-towpath side.

So apart from climbing the parapet and jumping onto your boat (if your steerer is close enough), and the other boat will have to do the same, you are stuck on the offside until the bridge closes.

Of course, waiting patently for the other boat to pass through is an option ............................

Edited by jake_crew

However, we did once have a lock closed in our face after a boat exited it. They did see us but had been told "always close the lock after you leave". We quietly and calmly pointed out the flaw in that instruction.

We walk our dog to Cosgrove lock regularly and will happily help boats through. I've lost count of the number of times we've offered to shut the lock gates while the boat gets underway and get "the boatyard told us we must shut the gates" then spend ten minutes picking up their crew who shut the gates. Good that the boatyard lays so much emphasis but... As someone said, "the problem with common sense is it's not very common"

• Greenie 1

When operating some swing bridges you are on the non-towpath side.

So apart from climbing the parapet and jumping onto your boat (if your steerer is close enough), and the other boat will have to do the same, you are stuck on the offside until the bridge closes.

Of course, waiting patently for the other boat to pass through is an option ............................

The Upper Peak Forest has two windlass operated lift bridges. If another boat approaches from the opposite direction I will get back on my boat and, passing the other boat, I will ask them to alight with a windlass to close it.

Hovering mid channel while the other boat passes so I can close the bridge is not an option with a big boat. Using the (new) landing stages at Turf Lea is a joke!

Only once has a boat (GRP as it happens) objected saying, "I suppose I will have to now". He must have thought it was my job to stand there all day passing boats through.

George ex nb Alton retired

I have yet to develop the skill of looking round corners. Do tell how you have managed to develop it.

I did occur to me that you may come back with something on those lines. You stated "We did have a look but still missed the approaching boat". You did not mention that it was round a corner. I can't see round corners, neither can I walk on water but I suspect you think that you can (just to explain for your benefit I was referring to the ability to walk on water), or at the very least, would like others to think you can.

I did occur to me that you may come back with something on those lines. You stated "We did have a look but still missed the approaching boat". You did not mention that it was round a corner. I can't see round corners, neither can I walk on water but I suspect you think that you can (just to explain for your benefit I was referring to the ability to walk on water), or at the very least, would like others to think you can.

What are you on?

Was thinking more substances.

And it ain't water either!

Phew, what a comeback. Your wit knows no bounds. I can't compete with you.

PS Is there a "tongue in cheek" smiley?

And our Rich's ability to see approaching boats from around corners.

Perhaps you should ask whoever is reading the posts to you to read it all out, not just bits. Not doing so just makes you sound like a plonker and gives away the fact that either you can't read or, if you can, you can't assimilate whatever it is you are reading.

...just a reminder that boats make noise too...but I suppose the wind direction could be wrong...or like me one could be a bit deaf due to playing next to a drummer most of my life...

They do make noise. But it wasnt heard either.

Some of course make more noise than others.

Perhaps you should ask whoever is reading the posts to you to read it all out, not just bits. Not doing so just makes you sound like a plonker and gives away the fact that either you can't read or, if you can, you can't assimilate whatever it is you are reading.

The only plonker here is you.