When bandits attack.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

I can only apologise on behalf of the vast majority of Stokies, who are very friendly.

The problem with kids there is only a few families (Which I know is no comfort to you) who are all well known to the police, who seem unable to do anything about it. It ouwld help if the problem were publicised in the canal press and on sites such as this.

in 2011, I had to move from a flat in an area not far from where this happened, as over a two year period, the behaviour became intolerable. Luckily, the owner of the shop that was selling the teenagers the cheap booze bought the flat for a reasonable price. The tenant in the shop downstairs had moved a few months previously due to petty vandalism.

A horrible experience, I would not wish on anyone. The boat can be repaired, but it's the mental scars which will take time. I do feel for you.

As part of the healing process may I suggest that you write to the local Police & Crime Commissioner, and the Chief Constable. I would also write to the local MP.

If you can get to a GP or hospital, then do so, as an official record of your injuries could prove important if anyone is apprehended.

Make yourself heard by the people with authority to stop attacks like this. It will help you, and may protect others in the future.

Also, if the little b'stards were on your boat, then they may have left fingerprints. Are the police aware of this, and acting on it?

Hi,

Very sorry to read of your experience.

Some friends were attacked here at night several year ago, the problem is the proximity of the railway line (and estate) the former yields an endless supply of ammo to the endless supply of scrotes from the latter.

Best of luck, I hope the police will treat this seriously in view of your injuries.

L.

Yes, this thread is just demonising people by calling them scrotes. MP should have invited them on board, made them tea and tried to get them interested in boats...

Typical misrepresenting bullshit.

Yes they are a product of their environment but yes they should also be punished for what they do.

Just because some people believe that the society we live in produces these criminals does not mean that those people believe that these criminals should not be held responsible for their actions.

I also do not believe that punishing the individual is the solution to the bigger problem but I still think the individual should be punished.

Always found a paintball gun is a handy thing to have. Bit too old to worry about the subsequent claims for shell suits and hooded tracksuits even if they have the bottle to report it to police

The trouble with that is, you will actually be the one that ends up being Shot by the police if and when they finally turn up.

If not shot, done for carrying an offensive / concealed weapon from the evidence thease 'misunderstood individuals from hard life circumstance' type people will undoubtedly have on there Smart phones.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

We have only been through Stoke twice, and did not experience any problems, other than the construction companies building new bridges over the canal, who clearly thought that a gap of 7ft for passage did not need to include protruding bolt heads. In fact we found it a very interesting town, and quite different from the descriptions by Rolt in his book about his pre-Cressy days.

Admittedly we did not go on the Caldon and we did not moor in Stoke, choosing Stone locks and Harecastle tunnel southern entrance for our overnight stays, but we noted a number of places where we would have felt quite safe to moor, including one opposite some very posh big new houses.

That sounds very scary....it's amazing how the police control rooms don't seem to know about canals....many years ago we had stuff chucked at us outside sainsburys in apsley.... They had no idea where we were even with bridge numbers and a retail park next door.

A website / cruising guide with all the bridges, pubs,marinas listed with the relevent postcode shown. If you call anybody out, police, fire, even a taxi, with a postcode they have no excuse for not finding you. Just a comment '150 metres south of -postcode-' would be exact enough for them to find you.

Maybe the technology already exists to relativly easily put together that info, anybody know? As boaters we normally know 'where we are' in relation to other boating info, bridges etc, but rarely know the postcode.

I'm thinking now - does C&RT have that info?

What a horrid experience. We've done the Caldon a couple of times - last time just three weeks ago. I always make the stretch of grass before Engine Lock the first overnight stop, even if we're calling in at the baker/butcher in Milton. And, on the way down, we make Engine Lock the last stop on the canal. The canalside from Etruria up through the built-up area is getting a lot of new housing and looks better cared for. But I still wouldn't change my planning. We deliberately travel in the morning, my OH has his little camera with him while at the tiller and I zip up the cratch cover. Touch wood we've never had any problems. I am so very very sorry about the your experience. Really nasty.

Re location information for bridges on canals, I helped out on a project some years ago to record postcodes and map refs.

I compiled several canals and rivers I know. The project died but I still have the files.

I'll post a link to them here when I find them

Useful for all emergency calls.

I am absolutely astounded, that the Police wouldn't know there patch, Now that would explain a lot,

If all the Criminal elements was to conduct there business say under a canal bridge, that would be Totally under the Police radar, as they wouldn't know where it was !.

Maybe the technology already exists to relativly easily put together that info, anybody know? As boaters we normally know 'where we are' in relation to other boating info, bridges etc, but rarely know the postcode.

The information is available on Canalplan. For example http://canalplan.org.uk/gazetteer/u3ii is the bridge where MP experienced this problem.

Re location information for bridges on canals, I helped out on a project some years ago to record postcodes and map refs.

I compiled several canals and rivers I know. The project died but I still have the files.

I'll post a link to them here when I find them

Useful for all emergency calls.

OK here's the link:

http://www.rwilson.org.uk/bridges/index.html

(I also have the files as xls if anyone wants them)

The tables (pdf) cover Glos & Sharpness, Severn, Avon, Worcs & B'ham, Stratford

ETA: some GU bridges (114-147) at http://www.northern-lights-training.co.uk/bridging-the-gap-project/ - scroll down to find them!

Edited by keble

Typical misrepresenting bullshit.

Yes they are a product of their environment but yes they should also be punished for what they do.

Just because some people believe that the society we live in produces these criminals does not mean that those people believe that these criminals should not be held responsible for their actions.

I also do not believe that punishing the individual is the solution to the bigger problem but I still think the individual should be punished.

Typical defensive bullshit. I wasn't specifically referring to you or your views, but if you felt my comments applied then that's up to you.

I'm not misrepresenting anyone. There have been plenty of posts from forum members in the past where we've been told that the victims of anti-social and even violent behavior were at least partly responsible for what happened to them.

Edited by blackrose

There have been plenty of posts in the past where we've been told that the victims of anti-social and even violent behavior were at least partly responsible.

Quote one then.

This crap is raised every time there is an incident and nobody, to my recollection, has suggested rewarding these criminals for their actions but the view that punishment is not the answer to the bigger problem is misrepresented asthat.

There is nothing defensive in my post, btw, I was attacking the same old garbage that people come out with, twisting the words of those who can see beyond the knee-jerk demands for revenge and retribution.

Just send your GPS Position !

Hand held GPS unit,

Boat mounted GPS unit,

Lap Top,

Smart Phone,

Even a Car Sat Nav all give this information.

How do you do this on an iPhone please?

You never know when that be useful for medical emergencies etc.

Hi ya MHS

It depends on your actual phone make model and ofcourse network.

But there is a 'My Diary' app that even attaches the GPS ish co ordinates to any picture that you take or any Entery made !.

There are also 'Find my position' Apps,

And even my Boat Tracker System gives me a position.

Failing that Good old Google Map, or even the Members map on this very Fourm might help !

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Quote one then.

This crap is raised every time there is an incident and nobody, to my recollection, has suggested rewarding these criminals for their actions but the view that punishment is not the answer to the bigger problem is misrepresented asthat.

There is nothing defensive in my post, btw, I was attacking the same old garbage that people come out with, twisting the words of those who can see beyond the knee-jerk demands for revenge and retribution.

Unlike you I have better things to do than keep a reference of posts to support a particular point of view. You seem to be able to come up with them in an instant. We've all seen those views so if you want to see them again they're all in the archives.

I think it's you who's misrepresenting people and twisting words. Who said anything about "rewarding" people for anti-social behavior? I certainly made no mention of revenge or retribution - unless off course you'd like to quote me on that?

I find your complete intolerance of the views of others both defensive and offensive in equal measure. However I've no desire to argue with you so I'll leave it there.

Edited by blackrose

I made my mind up many many years ago that if I got any agro whilst moored up, to move on right away. Only happened once and I think it miffed them off that I wouldn't play ball. Anyway I moved on and was no worse for wear and got a good nights sleep. First sign of trouble - MOVE ON.

Sound advice Bigste. Confront them and more than likley wind up on the wrong side of the law.

The trouble with the confront/shoot 'em with a paintball argument is that there are a) more of them than there is of you and they move faster than you do. So they can always be waiting for you at the next bridge with another load. Pathetic it may seem, but sometime you just have to swallow it and get out of the way as fast as you can. There is no point at all in picking a fight that you can't win on someone else's territory. That's what the police are for and we know how much use they are.

That being said, a friend of mine who is a damn sight tougher than I am once left his wife driving the boat after he'd been stoned near Chester, ran back up onto the bridge, threw two of the lads into the canal and all of their bikes. Then told them he was a gangster from Liverpool and if he ever met them again... me, I go and hide.

Edited by Arthur Marshall