Moorings in or near Northampton

Speedwell

Featured Posts

On the Nene, working downstream, here is a selection. In addition Woodford and Wadenhoe look good but I have never managed to moor. I tried to get to Nassington but got stuck in the mud and ended up anchoring (for lunch) in the backwater below Yarwell lock. More photos of the trip in my blog.

* against the railings in Northampton, just above Beckett Park lock. Might be a bit noisy

* the pontoon a couple of hundred yards below that lock

* the pontoon above Weston Favell lock. A lovely spot, but slightly noisy as the A45 is not far away. (photo 1 below)

* visitor moorings at Billing Aquadrome. Lots of people and boats, but friendly and good facilities (I emptied the Elsan here recently)

* Wellingborough. Good shopping. Noisy mill opposite, but some people don't mind that. Water and Elsan

* Irthlingborough, above the lock. Lots of good moorings, NB no facilities any more (Imrays is wrong!)

* Thrapston Bridge (photo 2). Water. (9th May 2014: out of order)

* below Islip lock

* Ashton lock, nr Oundle, in the backwater above the lock

* Fotheringay (photo 3). My favourite water point on the system!

* Wansford railway bridge (pontoon)

* Ferry Meadow park, Peterborough

w-fav.JPG

thrap.jpg

dscf3472.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Off topic but thanks S.G. for 'photo 3 of the church. Googled it and it's on the must see list next time I'm in the area.

Speedwell, ya got to park your ark there and take a look if you have time.

Northampton Marina- run by forum members, tenner for a night's mooring with electric, water, showers, laundry etc., plus a secure and safe mooring.

Agreed. Very good, and very friendly.

Several of the landowners at the best sites (Elton and Cogenhoe spring to mind immediately but there may be others) withdrew the permission to moor after a small group of boaters continuously moored their way down the river over a period of several months, leaving havoc behind them (eg piles of rubbish on the fields which resulted in a number of grazing animals being injured). Eventually they reached Peterborough and turned on to the Middle Level, where we passed them a couple of times. I don't know what happened to them after that.

Several of the landowners at the best sites (Elton and Cogenhoe spring to mind immediately but there may be others) withdrew the permission to moor after a small group of boaters continuously moored their way down the river over a period of several months, leaving havoc behind them (eg piles of rubbish on the fields which resulted in a number of grazing animals being injured). Eventually they reached Peterborough and turned on to the Middle Level, where we passed them a couple of times. I don't know what happened to them after that.

That explains the mystery of the missing Cogenhoe moorings then. We arrived there a few weeks ago one very damp evening to find the moorings shown in the guide no longer there..

• 1 month later...

I have been checking the river on OS maps and see that the chanel is very complicated and the canal maps do not show it very clearly. Is the chanel clearly marked with signs ?

Also, how safe is mooring in Wellingborough ?

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Arthur

I have been checking the river on OS maps and see that the chanel is very complicated and the canal maps do not show it very clearly. Is the chanel clearly marked with signs ?

Arthur

This google view might help?

Coming down from the canal:

• you enter this photo bottom left corner, after going under the road bridge (off picture).
  • After going under the footbridge, you keep right (don't go down the lock cut - you can clearly see the lock on the photo)
  • there is then a smallish sluice/weir on the left,
  • and then next left is the entrance into the marina (big lake with two islands on this photo, taken before the marina was built)

• NB you can see the boom stretched across the weir stream bottom right - keep away!

Others will offer advice on the safety of the moorings at Wellingborough, but the ones near the water point have a good bank but are very noisy (flour mill opposite, runs 24 hours a day I think).

Arthur

Came through Wellingborough today. Large notice announcing 24 hour security and guard dogs. I think this was for the benefit of the bouncy castles and roundabouts, though, rather than boaters. Wellingborough has had a bad reputation in the past, but several boats had obviously overnighted there (I arrived at 10AM after setting off at 6 from Cogenhoe, where I had stayed 2 nights without problem.)

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

There was a boat moored for weeks opposite the flour mill so I believe its much better now.

Last weekend we saw more boats moving on the Nen than we have seen in the previous 2 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I tried waving, but your curtains were shut. So I tried to soak the lady of the boat with my hose pipe instead biggrin.png

Washlands just before Weston Favell Lock (the 1st pic from Scholarly Gypsy) is less than 2 hours away from the marina.

Wellingborough can be done in 6 or 7 hours. I havent been any further than that. I've moored there on a Saturday night & not had any bother. I only found the factory noisy when outside the boat.
IMG_20140412_183528.jpg

Have a good trip.

Here you are at Northampton Marina
IMG_20140728_200729.jpg

Edited by Ssscrudddy

• 1 month later...