This will probably cause a stir......

jenlyn

Featured Posts

Kennet & Avon interim 12-month local plan: guidance for boaters without a home mooring*

The western end of the Kennet & Avon Canal between Bath and Foxhangers is an attractive and popular stretch of canal that attracts a large number of boats. Following consultation with local boaters, the Kennet & Avon Waterways Partnership and the Canal & River Trust has created an interim 12-month local plan for the area aimed at reducing the congestion that is affecting the canal.

Many boaters already navigate the canal in a way that is consistent with this guidance, so they probably wont need to do anything different. Its important however that everyone understands how the plan is being monitored and knows how to comply so as to avoid the attention of our enforcement officers.

The 12-month local plan

From 1st May 2014 boats between Bath and Foxhangers are expected to:

1. Move to a new neighbourhood every 14 days

2. Spread their mooring pattern evenly across 14 different neighbourhoods (see map) covering a range of at least 20km

Our checkers record the location of each boat at least once every 14 days and our analysis of the resulting data shows us the extent to which you have met the terms of the plan.

1. Move to a new neighbourhood every 14 days (see map)

You need to move between the 14 defined neighbourhoods, moving from one neighbourhood to another every fourteen days (or more frequently).

What we measure: approximately every 14 days we review recent sightings to answer: Has the boat moved to a different neighbourhood since the last time we saw it?

2. Spread your mooring pattern evenly across the different neighbourhoods, covering a range of 20 km

Moor in at least 12 of the neighbourhoods regularly over the whole 12 month period, unless of course you are outside the plan area (during that time you need to follow the national guidance). Going to and fro between just a few neighbourhoods isnt sufficient.

What we measure: every three months we review all our sightings of your boat over the previous months to answer in how many different neighbourhoods have you been sighted?

If youve been in the plan area for most of the time and weve seen you in at least 6 different neighbourhoods during the first three months, this is sufficient. Over the 12 months we expect you to have spread your mooring pattern evenly across at least 12 different neighbourhoods.

What if something happens to stop me complying with the guidance?

If something crops up that means you cant comply, such as illness or boat breakdown, well normally allow a temporary suspension of the requirement to move while you recover or sort out the problem. So contact our customer services team without delay by calling 0303 040 4040 during normal working hours and ask to be connected to the K&A West enforcement team. Or email KAMooring@canalrivertrust.org.uk.

Keeping your own records

We recommend that you keep your own movement log so that if you feel we have made an incorrect assessment at any time, you have evidence to back this up.

*Boaters with a home mooring

If your home mooring is within the local plan area, we understand that you might use the neighbourhoods closest to your home mooring more frequently than those further afield but we would ask that you always return your boat to your home mooring when not being used for cruising.

If your home mooring is elsewhere but you are visiting the canal between Bath and Foxhangers, we ask that you follow this guidance until you leave the local plan area.

What happens at the end of the 12-month local plan period?

Youll need to start following the national guidance.

How are you evaluating the results of the plan?

We will publish a report every three months with statistics on how boats are moving in the area.

Winter Moorings

If youd like to stay put during the winter (November March incl.), were planning to offer winter permits that allow you to remain moored in one place. These are subject to availability and some simple eligibility criteria. We will communicate details during August 2014.

Visitor Moorings

Maximum stay times at Visitor Moorings between Bath and Foxhangers will be set at 48 hours from 1st May 2014 along with no more than 7 days being spent at the site during any one calendar month. An extended stay charge of £25 per day will apply. These stay times will apply to all boats with the exception that holiday hire boats will be exempt from the 7 days in a calendar month rule.

Contacting us

If you have any questions, or have temporary difficulties that prevent you from moving, please email KAMooring@canalrivertrust.org.uk or call us on 0303 040 4040.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs) for 12 month local plan for the Kennet and Avon Canal between Bath and Foxhangers.

Why is there a 12 month local plan?

The large number of moored boats on this section of the canal, complaints about boats moored in one area for long periods of time, and concerns from boaters and other stakeholders about the continued growth in boat numbers, led the Trust to support the development of a local plan for this part of the network, developed by those local to the canal.

Who did you consult about the plan?

A consultation on the waterway partnership plan was carried out between August and December 2013. An invitation to take part in the consultation was sent to the registered owners of all boats sighted on the K&A in the 12 months to June 2013, boats with a home mooring, trade boat operators on the K&A, local councils, parish councils, boat clubs, angling clubs and other stakeholders. More than 430 responses to the consultation were received. These were considered by the Trust and discussed with the K&A partnership to inform the final 12 month local plan.

Who does the plan apply to?

All boaters on the western end of the K&A between Bath and Foxhangers are asked to follow the guidance in the 12 month local plan. The guidance on the website and printed leaflet set out what the plan means for boaters with and without a home mooring. If youre still not sure what this means to you, please email any queries or questions to kamooring@canalrivertrust.org.uk or call the customer service number 0303 040 4040 during normal working hours.

What if it is reasonable in the circumstances for a boater not to move?

If boaters believe that it is reasonable in the circumstances that prevent them from following all the above terms then they should contact the enforcement team (via the customer service number or email KAMooring@canalrivertrust.org.uk ) immediately to notify them of the circumstances and to discuss them. The Trust will consider reasonable circumstances compassionately

What about winter moorings?

Between November and March boaters may be able to purchase a winter mooring permit (subject to eligibility criteria and availability) that would allow them to remain moored in certain locations (depending on the type of winter mooring permit). A valid winter mooring permit would exempt boaters from the terms of the 12 month local plan for the period of their permit.

What happens at the end of the 12 month local plan period?

The purpose of the interim 12 month period is to enable those boaters without a home mooring based in this area a period of time to regularise their movement so that, after this, they can then comply with the relevant legislation and the Trusts Guidance.

When will the 12 month local plan start and how will it be evaluated?

The measures in the plan will begin on 1 May 2014. The Trust will collect monitoring information and publish a summary report every three months setting out how boaters are or are not complying with the plan.

What does neighbourhood mean?

The canal between Devizes and Bath has been divided in to 14 separate areas, these are now called neighbourhoods. The reference to neighbourhoods in the plan means these 14 areas. You can see a map of the neighbourhoods below.

What does 20km range mean?

The 20km range means the distance between two points. The range does not mean that boats only need to travel 20km, but rather that they can restrict their journey to travelling evenly between neighbourhoods within a 20km section of the local plan area.

I have a home mooring, do I need to follow the local plan?

If youre away from your home mooring and visiting the local plan area (between Bath and Foxhangers) we ask that you follow this guidance until you leave the local plan area; or, if your home mooring is within the local plan area, you return there at the end of a journey.

What changes will be made to Visitor Moorings?

All Visitor Moorings on K&A canal between Bath and Foxhangers will become 48 hour from the 1st May. This will mean that the stay time on visitor moorings that were 72 hour will be reduced and those that were 24 hour will be increased. A new 7 maximum days in a calendar month at any visitor mooring will also be introduced. These stay times will apply to all boats with the exception that holiday hire boats will be exempt from the 7 days in a calendar month rule.

What will happen to boaters who overstay on a visitor mooring?

Anyone exceeding the single visit or maximum days in a month stay time will be subject to a daily £25 extended stay charge for each additional day (24 hour period) moored.

How will visitor moorings be monitored?

Volunteer visitor mooring rangers will be recruited to support CRT staff in taking daily sightings of boats moored at the visitor mooring sites.

How will any extended stay charges be issued?

These will be sent to the address registered for the boat, but the Trust will contact the boat license holder by phone and/or email as well to inform you that an invoice has been issued. The local plan states that a review of the length and location of visitor moorings will take place during the next 12 month, who will undertake this and how will I be able to have a say?

This will be carried out by the Trust working with the K&A waterways partnership. We will consult on any changes proposed to visitor moorings before these are agreed or implemented.

The local plan says that I can request my own boats sighting data from the Trust, how do I do that?

You can request this information by contacting the Canal & River Trust customer service line on 0303 040 4040 during normal working hours. The Trust will endeavour to get this information to you within 15 days.

The local plan states that a short anonymised summary of boat movements between Bath and Foxhangers will be published on a quarterly basis. Where will this information be made available?

The quarterly report will be published on the K&A waterway partnership page of the Canal & River Trust website http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/noticeboards/kennet-and-avon-waterways

The plan asks boaters to leave space between boats to accommodate anglers and for fire safety reasons, what does this mean?

Were asking boaters to use their common sense and be considerate to the needs of anglers. The local plan does not require a specific distance to be left between boats, but rather that boater leave room for anglers where possible. In most cases we expect that boaters and angers will be able to speak with one another to accommodate each others needs amicably.

So I ask again, I wish to book an extended stay on a visitor mooring on the western k&a, where can I book it, when can I pay, can I do it online????

NO.

Therefore it is a penalty charge.

In 14 days I could cruise to central London and back to the same spot. They come back and check me and say I haven't moved......

Yawn...

Keep up at the back.

Henk think you will see there are a few changes from original proposal unless I missed the effect it has on people with mooring in the original I might well have done as I seem to get so many documents I tend to scim read them

2. Spread your mooring pattern evenly across the different neighbourhoods, covering a range of 20 km

Moor in at least 12 of the neighbourhoods regularly over the whole 12 month period, unless of course you are outside the plan area (during that time you need to follow the national guidance). Going to and fro between just a few neighbourhoods isnt sufficient.

This bit bothers me. Well, not exactly bothers me coz like central London, I have no intention of going there. It seems ill thought out.

Previously they say one has to stay in a neighbourhood for 14 days to be sure of getting recorded there. So to be recorded in 12 neighbourhoods in 12 months evenly as demanded, one only has time in a year to visit each one twice. This will force everyone's cruising patterns to be the same!

MtB

Quote..

Henk think you will see there are a few changes from original proposal unless I missed the effect it has on people with mooring in the original I might well have done as I seem to get so many documents I tend to scim read them

Unquote

If that is the case, It would have been helpful if some formatting of the piece had been done, as it is it is very difficult to even work out which is the article, and which the sarcastic questions.

Edited by luctor et emergo

P.S. but I suppose the main effect will be to smoke out the worst CMing abusers. Those who shuffle between two sites will be bang to rights.

If that is the case, It would have been helpful if some formatting of the piece had been done, as it is it is very difficult to even work out which is the article, and which the sarcastic questions.

Eh?

I read it as a CRT questions and answers session!

MtB

P.S. but I suppose the main effect will be to smoke out the worst CMing abusers. Those who shuffle between two sites will be bang to rights.

Eh?

I read it as a CRT questions and answers session!

MtB

I see. The lack of bullet pointing or such makes it very unclear on a phone. Also this has been done to death already.

????

Previous discussions about this scheme..

The 12/14 rule is new, I spotted it on a sign a couple of days ago. Wasn't in the original consultation, or in the plan released after the consultation (wording was much more vague).

I think 12/14 is a bit excessive and makes it a bit laborious. I don't necessarily want to move slowly enough to stop in every little area along the route, nor be darting back and forth to fill in the gaps later.

Naturally the previous wording ("spread mooring evenly over the areas") was too vague and something more clear was needed, but maybe 8-10 would have been less of a nuisance without impacting the effectiveness of the plan overall? I shall write them a letter and respond when they consult at the end.

It is also unclear how winter moorings affect this. It is slightly implied (and would be consistent with the rules for boats who don't spend the whole year within the plan area) that this number is slightly reduced in that case (which would be fairer).

I think the reduction in frequency of monitoring lately (as others have said) will reduce the effectiveness of this plan by increasing the length of time a boat has to stay in one place in order to be recorded there. It makes it harder to stay LESS than two weeks (which is daft) as well as more (which is sensible and presumably the point). I always keep my own records, I'd encourage others to do so too. Particularly during the trial period (I imagine that at the end of the 12 month trial, there won't be a great deal of extra enforcement (I read somewhere none) but there'll be a lot of CRT and boaters comparing their notes. It will be an informative exercise for all.

If some of the kinks are ironed out (as I hope they will be), this has the potential to be a good thing. Clear guidelines make it easier to comply and easier to prove if you have been treated unfairly.

Duplicate post deleted

It makes it harder to stay LESS than two weeks (which is daft)

Exactly.

Stupid, rather than daft. But I imagine those involved in the consultation and drafting of it were of the mindset to constantly negotiate to move the minimum possible.

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Quote :

If youre away from your home mooring and visiting the local plan area (between Bath and Foxhangers) we ask that you follow this guidance until you leave the local plan area; or, if your home mooring is within the local plan area, you return there at the end of a journey.

Presumably as this is a request they acknowledge that it is not enforceable

Duplicate post deleted

Exactly.

Stupid, rather than daft. But I imagine those involved in the consultation and drafting of it were of the mindset to constantly negotiate to move the minimum possible.

MtB

It was devised by the waterways partnership for that area.

I am down on the K&A at the moment and have been on this 48hr mooring since yesterday lunchtime, several of the other boats where here when I arrived, as were those on the adjacent 24hr moorings, but what has surprised me is they are not all liveaboards but some of them are locked up with no sign of life.

ON an associated note, I ewas chatting to another boater last weekend. A CCer.

They were telling me they've been moored in their current location for a fortnight so far and plan to stay there for another three or four weeks.

They seemed to see nothing wrong with this. And nor do I really, as the mooring is hardly full. OTOH I will be moving off once I've been there 14 days.

MtB

This plan might free up some moorings, but I think it could actually increase congestion in terms of boats actually on the move. If I was planning on taking my boat through the area again I'd rather all those continuous crusties just stayed moored up where they are.

Edited by blackrose

There are 14 neighbourhoods, so on average each less than a mile long. 14 days x 14 neighbourhoods = roughly half a year. Then half a year back the other way, that seems to be about the minimum movement necessary to comply, assuming that most of the boats in that area for whatever reason wish to move as little as possible. I've no idea how many boats are moored in that 12 mile stretch at the moment, but if the "problem" as defined is that there are too many of them, how does this reduce that number? What happens in 12 months' time, why does this plan make it more likely that they will then elect to head off towards the Thames on a "progressive journey"?

It may have changed today with the launch of the pilot, but recently there has been a lack of enforcement capability on the K&A so how are they going to monitor it, get the boaters on their side by communicating with them on the ground. Many only got an email from CRT telling them about it yesterday.

As always there is a penalty charge I expect some might be prepared to pay £25 day to stay near Bath but I can't see any number or mechanism to enable them to pay I assume this will be published soon.

I wonder what success looks like from a CRT perspective.