Moisture double-glazed ports!

Featured Posts

Now, I know I shouldn't have any moisture in new DG port windows, but I do!

Can I ask a couple of questions...

My main concern is the trapped moisture going green...has anyone any experience of the affects of long-term trapped moisture in DG ports? I can only say I've never experienced the moisture turning green in caravan windows!

Also, I'm thinking about drilling a 3mm hole in the bottom of the inside pane, driving the moisture out, and fitting a small rubber bung...can anyone think of a reason why this is foolish/good/bad/ingenious, etc?

Many thanks, as always,

Stuart

If the windows are new, why don't you return them? Double glaze windows shouldn't have moisture inside and they are defective if they do.. I got a tiny hole in one of my DG windows at home, which allowed moisture in and it did turn green inside.

Drilling the hole and drying it out might work, but that won't solve the problem and it will just get wet again.

Also isn't the void inbetween the glass at best a vacuum or possibly filled with an inert gas?

As others have said get in touch with the suppliers and take it from there....I don't think even it you let it dry it will stay that way unless you can remove the air.

Cheers

Gareth

I drilled a hole in the inside pane of a double glazed sealed unit to 'dry it out' and the thing went bang and split into hundreds of pieces like the old car windscreens used to. It is now a single glazed window which doesn't mist up.

I was surprised but the wife said 'didn't you realise that was going to happen?'

:rolleyes:

It was the vacuum which did it as the whole thing caved inwards

I drilled a hole in the inside pane of a double glazed sealed unit to 'dry it out' and the thing went bang and split into hundreds of pieces like the old car windscreens used to. It is now a single glazed window which doesn't mist up.

I was surprised but the wife said 'didn't you realise that was going to happen?'

rolleyes.gif

It was the vacuum which did it as the whole thing caved inwards

I would imagine it was more likely to be the fact that the glass was toughened, like the old windscreens. This is a classic description of what happens when the outer skin of the piece of glass is pierced. It can also happen for no reason at all. There is a bang and lots of bits of glass balanced on top of each other waiting for someone to touch them when they will then fall out.

As far as moisture inside the unit, it needs replacing. If you have to drill it drill between the two panes, through the sealant and spacer bar, then seal the hole with a dab of silicon. It will most likely mist up again so is not really satisfactory. If left long enough you will find that water collects and starts to fill the void and algae appears.

On any DG windows the chances of moisture getting in are much increased if the seal on the outside of the spacer/glass edges gets wet. Standard DG window frames have spacers to keep the edges of the sealed units away from the frame, especially at the bottom, as well as drains to let out any water which may get in between the frame/glass seal. Do your DG portholes have these features? If not I would expect misted panes to be an ongoing issue.

On any DG windows the chances of moisture getting in are much increased if the seal on the outside of the spacer/glass edges gets wet. Standard DG window frames have spacers to keep the edges of the sealed units away from the frame, especially at the bottom, as well as drains to let out any water which may get in between the frame/glass seal. Do your DG portholes have these features? If not I would expect misted panes to be an ongoing issue.

The point about keeping the bottom of the sealed units out of any water is well made and very pertinent. I have come across situations in boats where this has not been done, this becoming apparent after the units had broken down.

In the original post there is mentioned "new DG port windows". How new is new? The replacement window industry frequently gives extended warranties on sealed units, 5 to 10 years when I was involved in it, so it has to be worth contacting the supplier/installer to ask about warranty.

Get them replaced by the manufacturer. Don't accept faulty goods if they are new. And have them either do the replacing or pay for the replacing.

Exactly as said!

smiley_offtopic.gif

Velux windows can implode as shockingly the inner pane isn't toughened just ordinary 4mm glass. T

he gas escapes as the window degrades forcing the inner pane to concave and shatter. We bought 2 velux windows but toughened outer, laminated inner pane because of this problem.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=imploding+velux+windows

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

Crikey, I'm going to have to come back to this one a bit later.

However, just to answer a couple of points...

The porthole glass was bought in January this year!

There is no contact with water around the edges of the pane.

Oh, dear, what a big nuisance!

You're right - - it's a complete p.i.t.a!

But replacement is the only option.

(Three of mine waited three years before they failed)

Now, I know I shouldn't have any moisture in new DG port windows, but I do!

Can I ask a couple of questions...

My main concern is the trapped moisture going green...has anyone any experience of the affects of long-term trapped moisture in DG ports? I can only say I've never experienced the moisture turning green in caravan windows!

Also, I'm thinking about drilling a 3mm hole in the bottom of the inside pane, driving the moisture out, and fitting a small rubber bung...can anyone think of a reason why this is foolish/good/bad/ingenious, etc?

Many thanks, as always,

Stuart

Sounds like the butyl (I think)sealant has failed allowing moisture to enter. If your DG unit is constructed the same as a household unit the two panes will be separated by a hollow perforated aluminium section filled with desiccant that locks away the remaining moisture after being sealed. If the seal fails the desiccant will continue to keep the moisture at bay for a while until becoming spent.

As a matter of interest how are they fitted? Household units are not solidly fixed in their frames. They are allowed to 'float' using plastic packers as to prevent expansion and contraction from destroying the seals. Prior to UPVC DG units were fitted solidly into wooden frames in the same way as normal single glazed units - they didn't last long!

Does make me wonder whether the expansion and contraction of you boat might be to blame. Still not good enough though, send 'em back and request a DG unit that's fit for purpose!

Edited by bag 'o' bones

• 1 month later...

very true

also if fitted into wooden frames properly then they do last.

not many fitters took the time to pack the units and drill dranage holes in the bottom bead.

if you don't let the water out, they blow.

crap gets in and blocks the drain holes., In my house I de-glaze and flush them out once a year.

most suppliers give 1 year and if not fitted properly it will be voided.

I've had one leaking lower half (a fixed frosted unit in the bathroom) DG porthole for 7 years and apart from emptying and filling (1" deep at the bottom) all on its own it has never gone green. Never fancied the hassle of replacing the unit so left it as is.

Another lower half unit (in the galley this time) suddenly produced water droplets which disappear during the summer months and hasn't shown any sign of going green after 2 years.

As for a leaking removable (top half) DG unit I drilled two holes through the black sealant edge (at 10 to and 10 past the hour) and inserted two short pieces of empty biro tube (the ink holding tube) and squirted a little isopropyl alcohol (Servisol IPA 170 from Maplins) into the inner cavity. This shifted the water and it has self ventilated ever since (6 years) without showing any signs of damp inside or green stain.

Our portholes came from a GlannelChaze sounding company and I've met others who have had failures from the same source after a couple of years.

An alternative to isopropyl, so I'm told, is 'lighter gas', it seems to do the same thing.

All porthole orifices are clean and self draining so why they fail must be down to lack of adhesion between glass and 'rubber'.

After 8 years we have noticed many of the lower, fixed porthole units show a downward droop of the 'rubber' along the horizontal section.

If the 'rubber' filler between the two panes in a double glazed unit flows under gravity then who is to say its sealing properties haven't been compromised.

It doesn't sound like most of these double glazed units are fit for purpose. I thought Channelglaze made good DG units that were suitable for boats - or do these go faulty too? A proper DG unit shouldn't have any moisture inside, and if it has a decent thermal break it shouldn't condensate on the aluminium frame either.

I've recently read up on consumer rights for a friend who had problems with a mobile phone!

Firstly do NOT drill into the window as this will destroy any chances of a replacement!

The consumer law states that u have the right to expect something to last a reasonable amount of time, with windows I think it is reasonable to expect at LEAST 5-10 yrs. Since yours are literally only 6 months old then u should go back to the company you bought them from. They will replace the damaged window and should also cover the cost of fitting. As with all new products, occasionally faults occur in the manufacturing.

I also have many years retail experience and would agree that thins is a manufacturing problem, for which u should be compensated for.

Kirsty xx

On any DG windows the chances of moisture getting in are much increased if the seal on the outside of the spacer/glass edges gets wet. Standard DG window frames have....

I think that's more about allowed expansion/contraction/freezing etc.

As a matter of interest how are they fitted? Household units are not solidly fixed in their frames. They are allowed to 'float' using plastic packers as to prevent expansion and contraction from destroying the seals. Prior to UPVC DG units were fitted solidly into wooden frames in the same way as normal single glazed units - they didn't last long!

My parents house is like this, puttied in DG units. First one (south facing) went after about 20 years, about the same time as the wood. All front windows have now been changed but five years later, they rest around the house are still fine and original.