few questions about River Weaver

little duck!

Featured Posts

Hi, we are due to go down on to the river Weaver tomorrow but as it's a year since we were last there I wondered if any one with local/ recent knowledge could answer a few questions for me.

Firstly we remember on our way past last year that the Marina in Northwich had gone and building work was taking place, we think it was a new supermarket being built, so were we right and if so is it finished and what are the mooring provisions like for it.

Secondly last time we went to the far end (winsford) of the river we turned in the bridge just past the pub, can we actually get further than this to turn or does it get to shallow immediately past the bridge, it suggests in Pearsons that we can carry on into the bottom flash and turn there with the help of red and yellow buoys marking the shallower/deeper parts.

Thank you!

We were there last summer, the marina was advancing well but I don't know if its ready yet. Generally easy to moor in Northwich and a pleasant walk into town. A big Sainsburys and another one too (M&S I think).

Its ok to go into the flash but go slow and keep probing the depth. We are 30 inches deep and we were ok. It widens out on the left where boats are moored and thats were you need to think about turning. The pub is a bit lively/rough, especially at the weekend, but as long as youv'e still got a pulse its a very good night out.

Did not see any buoys but the pole is a good mechanical depth sounder.

.........Dave

Go to the far end by the chemical works too....there is a landing stage by the lock to the ship canal and whilst the chemical works may not be to everyone's taste it's a good place to look at any shipping movement on the ship canal.

Considering where you are in the outside world it feels very remote when you stand on the lock side. Be warned that they do test the safety alarms on the chemical works from time to time.....I decided if it was all going to go bang then a narrowboat probably wasn't the best transport to get away in!

I'm amazed that it's not more used for commercial traffic especially at the far end.....it's very poignant looking at all the dock infrastructure.

You can go right up to the swing bridge into Runcorn docks....plenty of space to wind.

We love the Weaver and always look forward to a return trip.

Cheers

Gareth

Go to the far end by the chemical works too....there is a landing stage by the lock to the ship canal and whilst the chemical works may not be to everyone's taste it's a good place to look at any shipping movement on the ship canal.

Considering where you are in the outside world it feels very remote when you stand on the lock side. Be warned that they do test the safety alarms on the chemical works from time to time.....I decided if it was all going to go bang then a narrowboat probably wasn't the best transport to get away in!

I'm amazed that it's not more used for commercial traffic especially at the far end.....it's very poignant looking at all the dock infrastructure.

You can go right up to the swing bridge into Runcorn docks....plenty of space to wind.

We love the Weaver and always look forward to a return trip.

Cheers

Gareth

Go further! Takes a bit of organising, but you can lock out onto the ship canal and travel the six miles to Ellesmere Port and onto the Shroppie.

Go further! Takes a bit of organising, but you can lock out onto the ship canal and travel the six miles to Ellesmere Port and onto the Shroppie.

Been there done that!.....I agree it was ace but as you said it takes a bit of organising if you are doing it on your own as we did .....ask away if anyone is thinking of doing the same.....it was one of the high points of my boating career!

Sadly most people turn around before Runcorn though....it's worth a visit even if you don't go on the Ship Canal

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

Yes we certainly went to the end, although apparently it is Weston, not really Runcorn. We turned in the junction with the disused Weston canal. Certainly very atmospheric. Not beautiful, but the depth of water means it doesn't take long to get to the end and then back into rurality.

Yes we certainly went to the end, although apparently it is Weston, not really Runcorn. We turned in the junction with the disused Weston canal. Certainly very atmospheric. Not beautiful, but the depth of water means it doesn't take long to get to the end and then back into rurality.

Yes, those are Weston Point Docks, currently used for storage of large amounts of bagged garden compost etc., and not used for shipping despite worthy declarations of intent when bought from BW. Runcorn docks, a mile or so further up the Ship Canal, are busy with 'small' shipping.

Tim

Yes, those are Weston Point Docks, currently used for storage of large amounts of bagged garden compost etc., and not used for shipping despite worthy declarations of intent when bought from BW. Runcorn docks, a mile or so further up the Ship Canal, are busy with 'small' shipping.

Tim

Thanks for that....as I typed Runcorn I thought I might be wrong!...it's a shame they aren't used for water transport...I thought they were part of Eddie Stobarts dream of world domination?....mind you if they were to use Weston Marsh lock (?) onto the Ship Canal with any regularity then it might need to have some TLC! There was a lot of creaking and groaning when we went through and not all of it was from the CRT chaps!

Cheers

Gareth

Hi Little Duck, we probably passed you last night as we came up the Anderton lift on the last passage after a couple of days deliivery on the Weaver. The Marina at Northwich Quays is now complete & open, Kevin is the manager & he seems a pleasant, helpful chap. There's quite a few empty pontoons at the moment, so I'd guess it would be OK to call in, but I'm not sure if there is an official visitor mooring. The Waitrose supermarket is just next door. Alternative good moorings are opposite the services or opposite the marina.

We have been into Winsford Bottom Flash with Alton up to the Caravan Park etc, we just take it steady & wind. When we start dragging up the silt.

The moorings above Vale Royal Lock are lovely as is Devils Garden below Dutton. We love the Weaver & are very lucky to trade on it regularly. Enjoy your trip :-)

Cheers, Brian

PS Thanks to Johnmck for bringing this post to my attention :-)

Thanks for that....as I typed Runcorn I thought I might be wrong!...it's a shame they aren't used for water transport...I thought they were part of Eddie Stobarts dream of world domination?....mind you if they were to use Weston Marsh lock (?) onto the Ship Canal with any regularity then it might need to have some TLC! There was a lot of creaking and groaning when we went through and not all of it was from the CRT chaps!

Cheers

Gareth

No, the docks have their own connection to the Ship Canal. In theory it's possible to use the dock as an alternative route between Weaver Navigation and Ship Canal, though I don't know whether it's practically useable now.

Tim

When we went into the flashes we went into the second part of the flash. There are two sailing clubs, a small one a short way in and a larger one past the caravans on the right. If you go to the second part, keep over to the right as it does get shallow on the left. When we went up, there were some poles in the flash which I presume the sailing club use for racing round. We drifted about for an hour and I couldn't touch bottom with a 14ft pole.

Hello Little Duck.

The Quay in Northwich is now open, and would be happy to see you, we have berths available.

tel

Do you mean berths for permanent moorers or visitors ones for a few hours or overnight.....if they are visitors ones do you charge at all?

This sort of info is always handy for others who come across these threads as well.

Cheers

Gareth

thanks for all your help! We have decided to go in to the bottom flash to turn. We wont be going all the way to the other (indusrtrial) end we went that way last year and though I was glad we went I wasn't a fan!! So far it is dry which is a good start.

Alto we were the last boat moored at Anderton and waved to you!!

Do you mean berths for permanent moorers or visitors ones for a few hours or overnight.....if they are visitors ones do you charge at all?

This sort of info is always handy for others who come across these threads as well.

Cheers

Gareth

Looks like £14 per day. From their terms and conditions:

20. The Company reserves the right to ask any moorer who does not comply with the terms and conditions or displays any unreasonable behaviour or disagreement within the marina to leave the marina, without a refund.

21. The Company reserves the right to give immediate notice for any behaviour that is detrimental to the comfort of other moorers no refund will be given.

(my bold) So, you pay a year's moorings up front, you disagree with something the marina man says on day one, you are OUT and they keep your year's moorings, day 2 they let the mooring to someone else, say something ridiculous to them and pray for a further disagreement. Sounds like a really good business model to me!

Edited by nicknorman

Looks like £14 per day. From their terms and conditions:

20. The Company reserves the right to ask any moorer who does not comply with the terms and conditions or displays any unreasonable behaviour or disagreement within the marina to leave the marina, without a refund.

21. The Company reserves the right to give immediate notice for any behaviour that is detrimental to the comfort of other moorers no refund will be given.

(my bold) So, you pay a year's moorings up front, you disagree with something the marina man says on day one, you are OUT and they keep your year's moorings, day 2 they let the mooring to someone else, say something ridiculous to them and pray for a further disagreement. Sounds like a really good business model to me!

Otherwise know as the Pillings Lock Effect.......

Cheers

Gareth

[quote name="little duck!" post="1293818" timestamp="1398335924

Alto we were the last boat moored at Anderton and waved to you!!

Ahh! That was you was it :-).

Hope your having a good trip on the Weaver.

PS there's quite a good facebook page - River Weaver Navigation.

Cheers, Brian

Considering where you are in the outside world it feels very remote when you stand on the lock side.

Agreed.

Looking at Liverpool, away in the distance and most of it lurking below the horizon, I got a very strange feeling that the edge of the world was just beyond.

Hello Little Duck.

The Quay in Northwich is now open, and would be happy to see you, we have berths available.

tel

What is the car parking situation for moorers at the marina? I would be interested in mooring there except I got the impression from your website that parking is on the supermarket car park, is limited and not guaranteed.