Have you ever looked

Sanddancer

Featured Posts

Do it here if you really want to. Where else were you thinking?

I find boats going past me too fast mildly annoying, but not quite as annoying as seeing other people whinge about it every day.

You could always get a high-viz jacket and sit on the front of your boat holding a hairdryer up and pretend it's a speed gun. I saw some old people doing this once by the side of the road on the way into a village and since that day I've always felt sorry that those people have nothing better to do with their lives.

Edited to add: You could try tightening your mooring lines. When I moor I pull my ropes tight and find that speeding boats have little effect.

Edited by junior

Junior your old couple with the hair dryer must be related to the couple who moved into a house on the nearly single track road leading to our marina. The first thing they did was paint 30 MPH in 1mtr high letters on the road followed a while later by a large fluro yellow profile of a cop with a speed gun (it didn't last long, someone took it out)

They even persuaded the police to do a stint with a speed gun but after 2 hours the police packed it saying they were wasting their time. The road in question is a dead end with very few vehicle movements a day.

The house is now up for sale again.

Phil

When I were a lad (which was a long time ago, let's face it) I DID go water skiing behind a narrowboat. Tied an old door with a few feet of rope to the back of the boat, then roared off at at least 3.5 mph whilst we took turns to stand on the back of said door holding on to another bit of rope. Great fun. Unfortunately cameras had not been invented at that point, so I have no proof. And fortunately neither had Weills disease.

When I were a lad (which was a long time ago, let's face it) I DID go water skiing behind a narrowboat. Tied an old door with a few feet of rope to the back of the boat, then roared off at at least 3.5 mph whilst we took turns to stand on the back of said door holding on to another bit of rope. Great fun. Unfortunately cameras had not been invented at that point, so I have no proof. And fortunately neither had Weills disease.

I bet you didn't think of Michealangelo doing a pastel sketch of the event, then?

Here is proof of one of my sons (I can't see which...) waterskiiing on the Wissey - very clean water

waterski.JPG

Has anybody ever looked for the person "water skiing " Behind boats ? Just been up the Ashby and the amount of boats going very fast is AMAZING.

Is there nowhere where we can name and shame them?

Just to mention not just moored boats but also when passing.

I'm not quite following this - exactly how fast were the moored boats going ?

Do it here if you really want to. Where else were you thinking?

I find boats going past me too fast mildly annoying, but not quite as annoying as seeing other people whinge about it every day.

You could always get a high-viz jacket and sit on the front of your boat holding a hairdryer up and pretend it's a speed gun. I saw some old people doing this once by the side of the road on the way into a village and since that day I've always felt sorry that those people have nothing better to do with their lives.

Edited to add: You could try tightening your mooring lines. When I moor I pull my ropes tight and find that speeding boats have little effect.

Maybe they are merely concerned about their grandchildren being killed by motorists who don't have the sense to drive at an appropriate speed.

• Greenie 2

That's great and I don't see any reason to "tut", I doubt any damage was caused although possibly the narrowboat got a bit of spray on the bow, but they had plenty of warning. Far better that the guys were doing that than standing bored out of their minds on a bridge waiting to drop a brick on a boat.

Did we see what was being used to pull the rope (I skipped the bit in the middle)?