Canals and alcohol

Felshampo

Featured Posts

Not in response to Magpie Patrick, but to the anti dope smokers, I wholeheartedly agree but this does also apply to alcohol, so why (if you do) do you draw a distinction? More of my friends have come a cropper with alcohol than dope

I think you will find that the "anti dope smokers" are actually replying to post #67's ridiculous statement

Well, since you asked, no one has ever died from cannabis sativa or its by-product, hashish. No one, ever! So, aside from the fact that cannabis is harmless and alcohol in excess can be deadly, I guess there's not much difference - oh, unless you count the fact that potheads don't go ballistic the way drunks sometimes do.

All things considered, it really is amazing that the drug warriors have managed to keep pot illegal. In societies that allow alcohol and tobacco use, there is absolutely no reason that it should be illegal, none!

From a WHO report on Cannabis use:-

Chronic health effects of cannabis use
  • selective impairment of cognitive functioning which include the organization and integration of complex information involving various mechanisms of attention and memory processes;
  • prolonged use may lead to greater impairment, which may not recover with cessation of use, and which could affect daily life functions;
  • development of a cannabis dependence syndrome characterized by a loss of control over cannabis use is likely in chronic users;
  • cannabis use can exacerbate schizophrenia in affected individuals;
  • epithetial injury of the trachea and major bronchi is caused by long-term cannabis smoking;
  • airway injury, lung inflammation, and impaired pulmonary defence against infection from persistent cannabis consumption over prolonged periods;
  • heavy cannabis consumption is associated with a higher prevalence of symptoms of chronic bronchitis and a higher incidence of acute bronchitis than in the non-smoking cohort;
  • cannabis used during pregnancy is associated with impairment in fetal development leading to a reduction in birth weight;
  • cannabis use during pregnancy may lead to postnatal risk of rare forms of cancer although more research is needed in this area.

So it's not as harmless as you would have us believe. You may not die directly, but you may be crippled and become mentally harmed after a while.

I used to know some heavy users, and could easily see the deterioration as time passed.

• Greenie 1

One thing that puts me off is the constants references to pubs. In this months WW the review of the Macc includes a typical quote "don,t even try to leave the town without trying one of the pubs, Waters Green is a good place to commence a pub crawl"

Don't listen to this lot of miseries.

Canal boating isn't all about pubs and many of us boaters enjoy the life without the need to prop up the bar blowing real ale froth off our beards.

If you ever want to see life on the cut away from canalside pubs meet me at the bench by the Napton Flight top lock...

...I've got half a slab of Special Brew with your name on it.

Don't listen to this lot of miseries.

Canal boating isn't all about pubs and many of us boaters enjoy the life without the need to prop up the bar blowing real ale froth off our beards.

If you ever want to see life on the cut away from canalside pubs meet me at the bench by the Napton Flight top lock...

...I've got half a slab of Special Brew with your name on it.

Do you find that chat up line usually works ??

Darren

In my years of offshore I have seen as much evidence of alcohol as i have seen on the cut - not a lot.

All the offshore yachts I have skippered I have insisted that no alchol is consumed whilst at sea. Not because I am a grouch but different people have different tolerance levels to alcohol. Safety is the prime concern at sea and I wouldn't want either a drink you under the table contest or someone trying to keep up so as to seem to fit in. If a drunk went overboard in the middle of the English Channel I would hazad a guess their chances of survival would be NIL.

Yes as soon as we had tied up in a port folks were free to have a drink of visit a local - which we often did.

Apart from booze cruises I have yet to see drunken crews rampaging around the cut on narrowboats, perhaps I boat with my eyes closed?

ETA one issue with mild drugs is that they often lead to much stronger addictive ones.

fully agree with you there Ray, Greenie for you. in my experience offshore, for both pleasure and work, I don't touch alcohol and it is a rule on vessels that I skipper or am Master on as well. Often a company rule too. However once tied up ashore and work done been known to partake of the odd drink. When on the cut have a similar rule of not drinking during the day, however plan to finish for the day fairly early so can enjoy a cold beer and watch the world go by!

I have been contemplating buying my own boat to spend my retirement on the canals. I have had many a holiday on various rivers and canals in my kayak and even had a few on a narrow boat and my sisters small cruiser. I get both Waterside World and the Canal Boat every month.

One thing that puts me off is the constants references to pubs. In this months WW the review of the Macc includes a typical quote "don,t even try to leave the town without trying one of the pubs, Waters Green is a good place to commence a pub crawl"

These sorts of comments are all too common. I also noticed that in the recant TV program "Canal journeys" that many a bottle of wine was on show. Yet in the similar "Great railway journeys" and "Walking canals" programs local pubs never get a mention.

Are all narrow boat owners pipe smoking Camra members? I don't think so. Does the lifestyle turn you to drink? Should I buy an RV instead?

The logic behind your post is difficult to follow, but I sense that you have an objection to the consumption of alcohol. By other people, that is.

Pubs are a great British institution. you should try going into one sometime. I think that you will find that it is not compulsory to drink alcohol. Indeed, my local offers a plethora of non-intoxicating food and drink.

You mention "Great Railway Journeys" with Michael Portillo. No booze there, then?

Visiting Oban distillery:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yd1x4

Tasting perry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00xhxrv

Drinking beer in Burton:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qgyv4

Drinking beer in Brunswick:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03j0dll

Sparkling wine in Kent:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00y47wd

Tasting wine in the Rheingau:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p2ng8

Perhaps "Great Railway Journeys" was not the best example you could have chosen.

Tim and Pru obviously enjoy a glass of wine or two, and the recent TV series reflected that. Did you see them falling around p*ssed? I didn't think so.

If "constant references to pubs" offend you, I suggest you cancel your subscription to both publications and *actually go and do some boating* - which might result in you being better informed.

ETA one issue with mild drugs is that they often lead to much stronger addictive ones.

With respect to marijuana, please provide actual scientific evidence of this contention.

I'll save you some time, you can't find any actual evidence of this because there is none. There is whole lot of drug war propaganda suggesting this happens, but not a whit of actual scientific evidence or proof.

I think you will find that the "anti dope smokers" are actually replying to post #67's ridiculous statement

So, tell me, John, what is ridiculous about that statement? Please provide some actual proof, scientific evidence, studies, statistics and so-on to show that I am wrong. Anecdotal information about your cousin Mary's best friend, or even your best friend, don't count because you have no idea what drugs they were using and my only reference is to cannabis.

So bring it on - prove my statement is ridiculous. And don't use drug war propaganda or anecdotal evidence and think that is proof, it is not. Proof is double-blind, control groups and all that stuff!

With respect to marijuana, please provide actual scientific evidence of this contention.

I'll save you some time, you can't find any actual evidence of this because there is none. There is whole lot of drug war propaganda suggesting this happens, but not a whit of actual scientific evidence or proof.

So, tell me, John, what is ridiculous about that statement? Please provide some actual proof, scientific evidence, studies, statistics and so-on to show that I am wrong. Anecdotal information about your cousin Mary's best friend, or even your best friend, don't count because you have no idea what drugs they were using and my only reference is to cannabis.

So bring it on - prove my statement is ridiculous. And don't use drug war propaganda or anecdotal evidence and think that is proof, it is not. Proof is double-blind, control groups and all that stuff!

post #85 drug related mortality

PaulG2

Straight question, do you smoke dope?

I cannot provide any double blind trials etc but having worked in the music industry for 40years I have seen the results of excess consumption. I have lost count of those that have departed from drug use.

I have lost count of those that have departed from drug use.

Cannabis?

I can understand the "Cannabis related deaths" and for that reason would suggest that the fact that the graph shows no LSD and mushroom related deaths means it is inaccurate as I know of two people who managed to dispatch themselves whilst tripping on acid and one friend who rolled off a cliff having eaten loads of mushrooms but I do not believe anyone has actually died as a direct result of cannabis' toxicity (though I did lose my front teeth during a massive coughing fit when doing buckets).

over the years I have had an odd spiff, over the years I have had the odd pint or six, I have in the past indulged a good cigar an odd pipe and even some cigarettes. I have never, however, fooled myself into thinking there were no consequences.

For those comparing the harm caused by cannabis and alcohol...

Snip

A greenie to you for some actual facts. I always find it hard to understand why societies that allow alcohol outlaw other drugs, when alcohol is by far the worst drug of them all. I can understand that a lot of people were brought up on drug war propaganda, but those folks need to shed that burden and look at drugs in realistic terms, not drug war terms.

You'll notice that your government may not have money to maintain your canals, but they certainly have hundreds of millions to spend on a failed drug war. It's the same thing here. We spend billions every year on drug enforcement that does absolutely nothing to decrease the availability of drugs.

I would love to see that chart with two other inclusions, tobacco and sugar

over the years I have had an odd spiff, over the years I have had the odd pint or six, I have in the past indulged a good cigar an odd pipe and even some cigarettes. I have never, however, fooled myself into thinking there were no consequences.

I don't think anyone was claiming that there are no consequences at all, just that cannabis is a lot less harmful than alcohol.

I don't think anyone was claiming that there are no consequences at all, just that cannabis is a lot less harmful than alcohol.

I'm not clear what the vertical axis is on that graph

Richard