Single Handed - any 'No-Go' hotsopts?

Supertramp

Featured Posts

Are there any points on the canals & rivers that cannot be undertaken single handed?

I see comments on here about lift bridges that wont stay up on their own, and also locking and mooring on some rivers looks 'difficult' to say the least if you don't have an extra pair of hands. Do some rivers require you to have crew aboard?

I think one of the rules for leisure boats on the MSC is two competent crew, thus denying singlehanders (or forcing them to find a friend) but its hardly a "normal" part of the network. The restriction effectively means that it applies too to the River Mersey. Upper Irwell is okay though (I think?).

Other than Paul's suggestions, I can't think of anywhere. It's worth telling your insurance company that you're a single hander though. They may impose their own restrictions.

An experienced single hander is often more 'competent' than an inexperienced crew. Often have I been single handing through a flight and caught up with the large but clueless crew in front.

Edited by Dave_P

Single handing the tidal Thames downstream to Limehouse is a challenge - the wiggle to get into the lock and secure the boat when in the lock can be challenging - it can be done as I have done it but you need to know your boat well and be able to converse with Limehouse Marina on VHF and make the tricky (at times) turn into the lock - things can become a little but busy! However there is no restriction that I am aware of. Upstream from Limehouse is reasonably OK but you have to be careful coming out of the lock cut if you don't have someone keeping a lookout on the front.

Important to have attended to Mother Nature and to have tea/coffee buscuits at hand before leaving Teddington/Limehouse.

Edited by Leo No2

The Tidal Trent below Gainsborough Bridge and other Associated British Ports (ABP) waters require that you have at least two persons on board any craft navigating their waters.

Regards,

Lockie.

Also going through Boston docks you are required to have two onboard and VHF on the required channel.

Same applies to the lower Ouse and the Humber, although not that many narrers traverse that stretch of water.

Don't some insurance companies prohibit single handed travelling on rivers at night?

It isn't within the gift of insurance companies to prohibit anything.

About the worst they can do is decline to pay out in the event of a claim where their terms and conditions have been breached,

MtB

Beeston Iron lock, unless you have mastered the art of throwing the rope under the footbridge and catching it on the other side. (no lock ladders)

Lift bridges are ok on the Llangollen especially now that the offside has bollards, though I'm guessing this wasn't the case when they were operated by chain without a holder for the chain...

Edited by Philip

Also going through Boston docks you are required to have two onboard and VHF on the required channel.

Same applies to the lower Ouse and the Humber, although not that many narrers traverse that stretch of water.

I'm not sure that this is true of the tidal trent, in practice. Certainly on my trip last year, the lockies seemed to have no interest in whether I had any crew with me.

The CRT Lockies on the non-tidal won't be that bothered (we may warn you of the ABP rules but its not our area of operations). Those on the tidal should be and ABP certainly are! Plus the Tidal Trent can be a handful and most (sensible) people would want another person onboard anyway, what happens if you fall overboard, etc, etc?

Lockie.

Edited by Lockie Junior

Leeds to Skipton has to be one of the most challenging sections for a solo boater. There are over 30 swing bridges most of which are manual and all of which are operated from the offside. At certain times of year (when it's hot) some of the manual bridges cannot be operated by one person they are just too stiff. The automatic bridges present a different challenge, and I maintain it is impossible to get through Apperley Bridge without assistance, and probably a lot of abuse from motorists, it's probably our most hated location on the entire network.

Beeston Iron lock, unless you have mastered the art of throwing the rope under the footbridge and catching it on the other side. (no lock ladders)

Lift bridges are ok on the Llangollen especially now that the offside has bollards, though I'm guessing this wasn't the case when they were operated by chain without a holder for the chain...

Having done Beeston Iron lock a few times singlehanded, it certainly does need a pause for thought so you can logically work out how to do it - the rope trick seems to be the best solution. But its quite passable.

Having done Beeston Iron lock a few times singlehanded, it certainly does need a pause for thought so you can logically work out how to do it - the rope trick seems to be the best solution. But its quite passable.

agreed - but you dont need to throw the rope under the bridge.

I stand on the bridge and pull the boat in and as it passes under the bridge I lean over & pick up the rope with the boat hook on the other side.

Having an extra long centre line helps

Going down I get back on the boat by sitting on the lock side and 'jumping' from a sitting position - I reckon it's just on the limit of how far i'll 'jump' down

The Tidal Trent below Gainsborough Bridge and other Associated British Ports (ABP) waters require that you have at least two persons on board any craft navigating their waters.

Regards,

Lockie.

Well! That's news to me and the many others who have often navigated singlehanded up from and down to Keadby. Without ever having been enlightened by the lockies at Torksey, West Stockwith or Keadby.

Beeston Iron lock is manageable singlehanded - I pull the boat into it, pull it out under the bridge and catch the rope with the boathook to hoick it back up the other side as it goes through. Never lost the boat yet... but as its a wide (and busy) lock you can usually share, stay on the tub and make the other crew do all the work... we used to carry a sandbag for the Llangollen and pray the damn thing would stay up as we went under it!

The Caldon's possible now too as they've put the bridge control on the towpath side.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

agreed - but you dont need to throw the rope under the bridge.

I stand on the bridge and pull the boat in and as it passes under the bridge I lean over & pick up the rope with the boat hook on the other side.

Having an extra long centre line helps

Going down I get back on the boat by sitting on the lock side and 'jumping' from a sitting position - I reckon it's just on the limit of how far i'll 'jump' down

The Nicholson says Beeston Iron is 7 feet, but it seems a bit deeper, the same book says Wharton Lock is 7ft 8 when it is clearly well over 10ft.

Perhaps at some point C&RT will fit some lock ladders to solve any problems, or make a split in the footbridge..

Edited by Philip

Beeston Iron lock is manageable singlehanded - I pull the boat into it, pull it out under the bridge and catch the rope with the boathook to hoick it back up the other side as it goes through. Never lost the boat yet... but as its a wide (and busy) lock you can usually share, stay on the tub and make the other crew do all the work... we used to carry a sandbag for the Llangollen and pray the damn thing would stay up as we went under it!

The Caldon's possible now too as they've put the bridge control on the towpath side.

There are signs up instructing boaters not to share the lock, i think due to the ridges where the iron plates join restricting the width so care should be taken if you are going to share

The Nicholson says Beeston Iron is 7 feet, but it seems a bit deeper, the same book says Wharton Lock is 7ft 8 when it is clearly well over 10ft.

Perhaps at some point C&RT will fit some lock ladders to solve any problems, or make a split in the footbridge..

I dont think they can fit lock ladders because they cant cut a recess into the iron sides

I'm not sure that this is true of the tidal trent, in practice. Certainly on my trip last year, the lockies seemed to have no interest in whether I had any crew with me.

It's nothing to do with the CRT lockies once you are below Gainsborough bridge it is ABP waters and they are quite rightly a bit stricter.

Well! That's news to me and the many others who have often navigated singlehanded up from and down to Keadby. Without ever having been enlightened by the lockies at Torksey, West Stockwith or Keadby.

Perhaps you should read the byelaws for the waterways you intend to travel on before heading out into them!

Why should CRT lockies tell you the byelaws of waterways they have nothing to do with?

Byelaws for ABP Humber waterways here for those who care.

http://www.humber.com/admin/content/files/Estuary%20Information/ha%20byelwas.PDF

(ABP) waters require that you have at least two persons on board any craft navigating their waters.

No they don't.

Only boats greater than 12 metres long are required to have more than one crew.

Byelaws for ABP Humber waterways here for those who care.

http://www.humber.com/admin/content/files/Estuary%20Information/ha%20byelwas.PDF

Indeed...

11. (1) Subject to the provisions of paragraph (B) of this Byelaw, the master of a vessel
underway, other than a small vessel, shall have on board at least one other person to assist in
the navigation thereof.

So you can single hand Naughty Cal with no fear of the heavy hand of justice bearing down on you.
Edited by carlt

There are signs up instructing boaters not to share the lock, i think due to the ridges where the iron plates join restricting the width so care should be taken if you are going to share

I dont think they can fit lock ladders because they cant cut a recess into the iron sides

I is not the ridges where the plates meet that is the problem. The north east corner of the lock has a distinct inwards bow in the plates.

It is possible to pass 2 breasted up working boats through the lock, provided you know what you are doing, but I would not recommend this to the unwary.

They cannot cut holes for ladders as I believe it is a listed structure.

George ex nb Alton retired