Single Handed - any 'No-Go' hotsopts?

Supertramp

Featured Posts

Leeds to Skipton has to be one of the most challenging sections for a solo boater. There are over 30 swing bridges most of which are manual and all of which are operated from the offside. At certain times of year (when it's hot) some of the manual bridges cannot be operated by one person they are just too stiff. The automatic bridges present a different challenge, and I maintain it is impossible to get through Apperley Bridge without assistance, and probably a lot of abuse from motorists, it's probably our most hated location on the entire network.

I would certainly agree with this, a least on the Leeds to Saltaire section .

The K and A gave me a couple of "brown trouser" moments when single handing: hovering at the traffic lights when travelling upstream through Reading and heading downstream through Woolhampton lock and swing bridge when here was a bit of a flow on the Kennet.

As Sir Robin Knox-Johnston has just announced he is going to sail across the Atlantic solo, at 75, I don't think we should make too much of an issue about a few swing bridges and tricky locks.

These days if you meet a bit of an obstacle that you don't fancy it isn't too long to wait until a crewed boat happens along to help you through.

carlt, on 02 Apr 2014 - 4:01 PM, said:

As Sir Robin Knox-Johnston has just announced he is going to sail across the Atlantic solo, at 75, I don't think we should make too much of an issue about a few swing bridges and tricky locks.

These days if you meet a bit of an obstacle that you don't fancy it isn't too long to wait until a crewed boat happens along to help you through.

Exactly - or a helpful boater who always carries his BW and handcuff key with him, (just in case) while walking his JRT along the towpath may also appear out of the blue and offer to help.....

It's nothing to do with the CRT lockies once you are below Gainsborough bridge it is ABP waters and they are quite rightly a bit stricter.

Perhaps you should read the byelaws for the waterways you intend to travel on before heading out into them!

Why should CRT lockies tell you the byelaws of waterways they have nothing to do with?

Byelaws for ABP Humber waterways here for those who care.

http://www.humber.com/admin/content/files/Estuary%20Information/ha%20byelwas.PDF

Well thanks for that. It appears that I can indeed navigate between Gainsborough and Keadby singlehanded without fear of prosecution! :)

There are signs up instructing boaters not to share the lock, i think due to the ridges where the iron plates join restricting the width so care should be taken if you are going to share

I dont think they can fit lock ladders because they cant cut a recess into the iron sides

Fitting lock ladders would probably be impossible for the reason stated, but also remember that the lock is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and is listed Grade 2* - so I don't think we'll ever see much change! Sometimes, historical importance is rather more important than making life easy. And boaters have managed to get through Beeston Iron lock for around 220 years.

Beeston Iron Lock

Was told that not possible to fit ladders as it would destroy the integrity of the structure a cause a collapse, due to the nature of the ground in which it stands & the whole of the reason for the construction in the first place. (Yes, we asked the question when the lock open day was held)

Fitting lock ladders would probably be impossible for the reason stated, but also remember that the lock is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and is listed Grade 2* - so I don't think we'll ever see much change! Sometimes, historical importance is rather more important than making life easy. And boaters have managed to get through Beeston Iron lock for around 220 years.

I'm not suggesting they do. I enjoyed the challenge working out how to ascend it and got a real sense of achievement when it all went to plan

Thanks for everyone's input, this summers venture will be a ring on the southern GU, Oxford, then Thames down to meet the GU again. I think my only challenges will be the lift bridges on the North Oxford, and the Thames through London. Next year will be heading north to the L & L

Edited for typo

Edited by Supertramp