strange cricket like noise

pquinn

Featured Posts

Can I suggest that you are not the only ones moored to that pontoon!

I would suggest that sharing your mooring are lots of Mussels and probably Barnacles all going about their business of living and feeding!

I have certainly heard that noise when i have been scuba diving on wrecks and rocky places and a;s when i have been anchored in small bays and inlets with lots of rocky outcrops and sea life whilst cruising with my sail boat.

Nipper

Hello folks,

Kind of hard to explain this one but we live in the city on a floating jetty and at night there is a constant cricket like noise outside the boat .it has me driven bonkers trying to find the source.IT is not fenders or ropes.it is not bats as one neighbor suggested.Another neighbor suggested frogs or newts but i thought frogs hibernated in the winter and when i shine a torch in the water i cant see anything but some small fish and those water beetle type things that kinda skate around.i have put my ear to the openings beneath the jetty walkways and the sound does not seem to be coming from there.it seems to be coming from around the waterline and seems louder inside the boat than when i go outside.i have checked the lockers,nothing.

i used to think it might be waterhens but it seems to be nocturnal.if i wake in the middle of the night it will still be making noise. any ideas? paul

Hi

This might be interesting, someone with a similar problem, and some interesting replies.

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/insects-and-invertebrates/59734-any-insects-make-bird-like-noise.html

Hi

This might be interesting, someone with a similar problem, and some interesting replies.

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/insects-and-invertebrates/59734-any-insects-make-bird-like-noise.html

Tried that link and got

Error 522 Ray ID: 112a46513c4806dc Connection timed out

It appears to be a problem with the host website

I too have heard a clicking noise, usually at night when it is quiet and have thought it might be a coot. There are lots of them in and around Barton Marina. Could it be the culprit?

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/901/t/37910.aspx?Redirected=true

The link is to the RSPB website.

Tony

We lived on our boat at Horning for 10 years and in the winter months there wood be huge rafts of Coots on the river,in fact Arthur Ransome referred to it as Coot City. In all that time I never heard Coots clicking, they do make a sort of Clop Clop noise but even that is during the day. In fact we had a Coot who would feed from my hand and nested by the boat, she let me sit with her while her eggs hatched out, I felt very privelaged.

Phil

I go along with the 'smoke / CO detector' flat battery scenario.

They don't tend to do this in the day time..but at night when the temperature drops...the battery charge drop off and they start to 'chirp'. I have found that even when 'certain' I know which one it is....it's still difficult to be absolutely sure as the sound rebounds about.

I would replace all 9v batteries in alarms...

Maybe another boat has an alram in a gas locker..or the cratch ?

Edited by Bobbybass

Phil,

That's a lovely little story - coots are normally so wary of humans.

We were very lucky living cheek by jowl with all the various birds on our isolated mooring. They all became so tame that they would walk under our dogs (dogs brought up with chickens and ducks) we even had a muscovey duck who came back each Oct/Nov to spend the winter on the warm side deck, we just used to call "dogs coming out" and he would step back from the door to let the hounds out. I could go on for hours about various bird stories but you would get bored.

Phil

I thought this noise was frogs copulating unsure.png

I suppose that the ones which weren't were green with envy.

Phil, I certainly would not get bored with your bird stories - let's have more!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello folks,

Kind of hard to explain this one but we live in the city on a floating jetty and at night there is a constant cricket like noise outside the boat .it has me driven bonkers trying to find the source.IT is not fenders or ropes.it is not bats as one neighbor suggested.Another neighbor suggested frogs or newts but i thought frogs hibernated in the winter and when i shine a torch in the water i cant see anything but some small fish and those water beetle type things that kinda skate around.i have put my ear to the openings beneath the jetty walkways and the sound does not seem to be coming from there.it seems to be coming from around the waterline and seems louder inside the boat than when i go outside.i have checked the lockers,nothing.

i used to think it might be waterhens but it seems to be nocturnal.if i wake in the middle of the night it will still be making noise. any ideas? paul

a "constant cricket like noise outside the boat"

is it a bowler which creaky arm?

I hear crickets to " spooky " I used to have an iguana who used to eat crickets & any escapes used to make there way to the boiler & live in there " check your boiler if you have one it's nice & warm for them lol "