Recommended boat builder

Rose_Cutler

Featured Posts

Hello Everybody,

I am looking for a boat builder to have a widebeam built. I have been lurking on the forum for a while now, I have done some internet research and visited a few yards but I believe first hand experiences are possibly the most reliable information out there. I am looking for a little bit to choose from but don’t want allocate a big part of my budget in “bespokeness”. The size around 11 x 55. Those that went through a build with a boat builder that builds widebeams, your input is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Rose x

Hi rose I have just had a narrow boat built by XR &D at Newark very good quality good lads to talk to and very helpful, they are building a wide beam at the moment give them a ring and go and look at what they are building

Hi Rose - and welcome to the forum,

You'll likely get a wonderful variety of responses, and, of course, to a great extent the builder you choose will depend not only upon recommendation and reputation, but also upon your budget.

Our widebeam was built by Elton Moss Boats - and have to say that we are delighted with her, and have received a great many compliments about the quality of build and attention to detail.

As some people mentioned here XR&D & Colecraft have quite good reputation, I visited both and I really liked what I've seen. I decided to go with Blue Water (Warwickshire) though, and I would definitely NOT recommend them. I will send you PM.

Where are you based btw?

Hi rose I have just had a narrow boat built by XR &D at Newark very good quality good lads to talk to and very helpful, they are building a wide beam at the moment give them a ring and go and look at what they are building

Ours was an original R&D built in 2004. I believe the same standards and quality of work persists. Certainly the best boat builder we could find at a reasonable mid range price.

Staarek, on 25 Mar 2014 - 3:15 PM, said:Staarek, on 25 Mar 2014 - 3:15 PM, said:Staarek, on 25 Mar 2014 - 3:15 PM, said:

As some people mentioned here XR&D & Colecraft have quite good reputation, I visited both and I really liked what I've seen. I decided to go with Blue Water (Warwickshire) though, and I would definitely NOT recommend them. I will send you PM.

Where are you based btw?

The OP wont be able to use the PM system (both receiving and sending messages) until they have 5 posts. She currently stands at 1.

ed she not he

Edited by The Dog House

Thank you for sharing Luggsy. I actually went to see XR&D and I liked what I saw. I have also followed some of the reports on the forum and are definitely in my top 3.

Hi Rose - and welcome to the forum,

You'll likely get a wonderful variety of responses, and, of course, to a great extent the builder you choose will depend not only upon recommendation and reputation, but also upon your budget.

Our widebeam was built by Elton Moss Boats - and have to say that we are delighted with her, and have received a great many compliments about the quality of build and attention to detail.

Hi Grace & Favour, thank you for the advice. I haven't heard about Elton Moss before. I'll research a little bit. Regarding the budget... I would like to keep it under 100k if possible. Is that a reasonable budget for this builder? Thanks x

The OP wont be able to use the PM system (both receiving and sending messages) until they have 5 posts. She currently stands at 1.

ed she not he

Haha good OLD dog house... The only post that is no contribution whatsoever hehe keeping up!

Hello Everybody,

I am looking for a boat builder to have a widebeam built. I have been lurking on the forum for a while now, I have done some internet research and visited a few yards but I believe first hand experiences are possibly the most reliable information out there. I am looking for a little bit to choose from but don’t want allocate a big part of my budget in “bespokeness”. The size around 11 x 55. Those that went through a build with a boat builder that builds widebeams, your input is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Rose x

I have got a Collingwood. Good value but wouldn't recommend as dealing with them was a true nightmare (specially post customer service and guarantee repairs).

• Greenie 1

Colecraft they build a fine wide beam with a chinned hull if you want instead of a flat base plate.

tug394.jpg

tug421.jpg

Thank you for sharing Dalesman. Colecraft is one of the builders I have visited. Indeed very reputable and as far as I could tell. Not sure I can afford the price tag though!!

Another vote for XR&D, good hulls and great team. They are "ex" R&D, Gary and Lee were both R&D builders to the point the company were sold on....long story...too long for touch screen, but their website tells the story I think.

Although I do not have a boat built by them, I would recommend trying Dave & Pete from Soar Valley Steel boats, in Nottingham. They are a small business who pay great attention to detail and are happy to incorporate most design details. Having been on both widebeams and a dutch barge they built and seen several others being built from scratch over the past year, I was impressed with the quality of welding.

As some people mentioned here XR&D & Colecraft have quite good reputation, I visited both and I really liked what I've seen. I decided to go with Blue Water (Warwickshire) though, and I would definitely NOT recommend them. I will send you PM.Where are you based btw?

Hi Staarek, thank you for sharing. I am in Houghton Regis. Bluewater is actually one of the options I'm looking at and the reason being is they are more local to me than some of the builders up north which would be an advance logistically. The opinions I have heard are not very good though. I would appreciate if you could be specific about the problems you had with them. Thank you

Haha good OLD dog house... The only post that is no contribution whatsoever hehe keeping up!

More repetitious nonsense from you I see.

How can pointing out there would be problems in the op receiving a pm until they had a requisite number of posts not be contributing.....?.

Is R&D the same as X R&D? Thank you Julynian

Yes R&D Fabrications was actually sold to new owners half way through our build. The original owners Ray & Shelia had owned R&D for around 25 years I believe. They retired during our build which we did know about when ordering the boat. As far as I'm aware the original welders still work there and the continue to produce the quality boats Ray & Shelia were building.

There were a couple of new owners since Ray & Shelia retired. I believe the current owners have now been in charge the longest. It's good that new customers seem to be happy with their new builds. They used to dedicate a welder to each build. I believe they still do, it's much better than dozens of different welders doing a bit here and a bit there as I've seen in many of the larger boat builders.

Edited by Julynian

Why have one built? Why not find a sail away project for sale, or a second hand boat in need of refit?

Thank you for the suggestion FadeToScarlet, but we rather getting involved in one contract rather than a shell and separately a fit out. We have also been saving for our dream boat for a while and I believe it wouldn't be that easy to find second hand the design and layout we have got in mind. Thank you anyways

Hi Rose,

One of the ladies in the area I normally cruise has got a beautiful nicely proportioned new Tyler Wilson widebeam. I would definitely check them out. I have got a good relationship with her and I could ask her if she wants to be in touch with you (she is not in the forum). According to what I have been told, the build was good but the fit out was a all hassle but she commissioned the fit out with outside contractors. I believe she is happy with the overall except with some bits and pieces of the fit out.

I hope this is of help.

Regards,

Ten